Welcome, Guest

To sobriety and beyond!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: To sobriety and beyond! 31799 Views

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 23 Nov 2011 18:58 #126514

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I tried to think of something smart to say, but I'll just  :-X. I think I'm better off.
Last Edit: by .

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 23 Nov 2011 19:04 #126516

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1199 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Eager To Abbreviate
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 23 Nov 2011 19:12 #126517

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
gibbor120 wrote on 23 Nov 2011 18:58:

I tried to think of something smart to say, but I'll just  :-X. I think I'm better off.

We call that having a high DTA otherwise known as your Duct Tape Aptitude
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 23 Nov 2011 19:18 #126522

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
ur-a-jew wrote on 23 Nov 2011 19:12:

gibbor120 wrote on 23 Nov 2011 18:58:

We call that having a high DTA otherwise known as your Duct Tape Aptitude

I'm glad my aptitude for something is going up. oops, did I just ruin it by posting  :-X.

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 24 Nov 2011 16:53 #126657

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
So I went for a walk with the Wife last night, to talk things out etc and we got mugged at gun point.
Thank G-d!
P.S. In addition to my wallet they got my phone, so I don't have anyone's phone numbers anymore, and won't be taking calls till after the weekend prolly.
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 24 Nov 2011 17:45 #126662

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
scary!
are the two of you ok now?
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 24 Nov 2011 18:35 #126669

• Dov
  • Administrator
Hashem tmalei chesron'chem bimheiro! That's a horrible experience.

My wife and I go for walks every night that we can. Very important.

I take a can of pepper spray and hold it so I will have the opportunity to use it at the first sign pf trouble, and with pleasure.

...not trouble from her, though....for that I carry earplugs!  ;D

Hope the two of you keep on walking!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 24 Nov 2011 22:49 #126696

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not using no pepper spray against a gun, nor put up any kind of fight. I found myself eagerly obeying their demand to surrender my property and was releived to see them leave. I asked the Wife if she was OK, and she was, and we kept walking for a little while in the same direction, until we turned around and went home to cancell credit cards and file police report. She is much more shaken up then I am, but still pretty serene. I haven't been mugged in over a dozen years, and never with a gun. But I think I took it well. I had a difficult day with lusting yesterday, and it was an interesting way to come out of it. Chasdei Hashem sheloi somoo...
We both kept good humor about it, though Wife wanted to "track the phone, and get them!". I really couldn't care less. Who are these guys? Kloom (to paraphrase Ushpizin).
They are nothing. Al hanizak kvar nigzar min hashomayim.
So my wife tells me that it is a befeirushe Bina, that negative experiences can be avoided if we accomodate other Jews even to the point of our agmas nefesh. Meaning, min Hashomaim they remove a g'zeiro if you've already suffered agmas nefesh thru helping another Jew.
Interesting concept, but it got me thinking. Earlier in the day, I promised two people a ride to their individual destinations. Unfortunately by the time I promised the second guy, I promptly forgot about the first. So in the middle of me driving guy 2, guy 1 calls and asks where the... am I? So I tell guy 2 that I forgot about guy 1, and tell him he needs to get off half way and take a bus, to which he concedes. And I rush off to pick up guy 1. It helps to know that guy 1 isn't really a guy but my mother-in-law.
So ....I avoided agmas nefesh by letting another Jew down and got a negative experience instead. Maybe?
I am truly at peace with this situation. Our G-d is the best Father, and nothing comes from Him that's not love. Some love is so strong that it can only be experienced through the attribute of Gevura.
Thank you, Father. I love you, too.
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 25 Nov 2011 00:35 #126704

• Dov
  • Administrator
Thanks, Obber. That was sweet, and an especially nice thing to hear was the idea of ahavah that could only be experienced by way of the middah of gevurah. Kol kli yutzar alayich lo yitzlach v'chol loshon...etc.

"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 25 Nov 2011 04:04 #126718

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1199 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow what a scary story. I like how you always find something positive to take out of a bad situation.

Keep On Trucking (and keep the doors locked)!!!

Gevura!

(P.S. No, it was not me.....)
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 25 Nov 2011 04:19 #126721

• Dov
  • Administrator
Gevura ShebYesod wrote on 25 Nov 2011 04:04:

(P.S. No, it was not me.....)

Wait a minute. Did you see a guy drive away from the scene in a monsta truck?

Oh, never mind, it was Shabbos Kodesh!

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 25 Nov 2011 05:41 #126735

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Mottel, you are yoter beseder mi'beseder
(to paraphrase Ushpizin)
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 25 Nov 2011 13:52 #126749

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I like your attitude OM. I only saw ushpezin once and the only line I remember is NES, NES, NES!!!  I'm glad you are ok beguf and benefesh!

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 25 Nov 2011 17:29 #126795

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Wife and I watched Ushpizin in the movie theater, and then bought the DVD which we watch every Sukkos and sometimes in mid-year, too.
Our favorite lines are: Mima naaseh Lysol? Mi'Lysol.
Ma atem? Kloom. V'ata? Kloom ....kamocha.
Kacha? Rak kacha!
Notice how it's soooo Jewish, all in a form of Q&A.
We also like "chipsim shel Moshe" and "Abba, Ata Matok".
It's a pain to get around without my phone and credit cards; I had to buy a bunch of supplies for my business this morning, and I can't even withdraw cash... 
Otherwise we really are OK. I'll post a list of things I was especially thankful for this Thanksgiving.
Baby steps.

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 25 Nov 2011 17:38 #126796

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
i am haunted (for lack of a better word) by the question: ma'aminim oh lo ma'aminim?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes