Welcome, Guest

hello everybody!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: hello everybody! 106701 Views

Re: hello everybody! 10 Aug 2012 14:51 #143408

I dont understand how its possible for a person to be such an anav that he calls himself "an empty hole, not a man" and then describes how in a dream they sent him a message to write a sefer....

Unbelievable!

Re: hello everybody! 11 Aug 2012 21:41 #143441

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
Interesting story about anivus that I just heard at Melave Malka [google shows this story [url=http://www.torah.org/learning/parsha-insights/5759/matos.html?print=1#]here[/url] I'm copying and pasting it]:

On his way to becoming Rav of Frankfurt, Reb Avraham Abish [known as "Reb Abish'l Frankfurter"- obviously at the time of our story he wasn't yet known by that name, but for lack of another name, this is what I'll call him] stopped at an inn (or Kretchmer) where he was given a room to share with a merchant.

A robber furtively entered their room that night and stole valuable spoons from the merchant. Early the next morning, Rav Abish arose, prayed and resumed his journey. When the merchant awoke, he saw that his roommate had left and realized that his valuable spoons were also missing. Unaware of the towering stature of his roommate, he assumed that the quiet, simple-looking man had stolen them. He dashed to the station where the wagon drivers would await customers and hired the fastest driver. Having been offered double fare if he'd catch up to the 'thief', the driver whipped his horses and pursued the unsuspecting Rav Abish.

Finally overtaking the bewildered Rav Abish, the merchant began to shout at him to return his spoons. "I don't know what you're talking about!" cried Rav Abish. "I never saw any spoons and I certainly didn't take them!"

The merchant grabbed Rav Abish and pulled him off his wagon, demanding that he reveal where he had hidden the spoons. When Rav Abish didn't reply, he tied the poor, innocent man to a tree and began to whip him mercilessly. When the merchant saw that his torment wasn't loosening his tongue, he stalked off to the inn, leaving poor Rav Abish behind, still tied to the tree.

Rav Abish finally managed to untie the bounds and, bruised, battered and humiliated, he made his way to Frankfurt. There he was greeted by a large crowd who had come to honor their new Rav. He disguised his pain and returned their smiles and greetings.

The next day, Rav Abish delivered a brilliant two hour shiur {lecture} which awed the townspeople. Afterwards, people crowded around their new Rav to discuss various points with him.

Among them was none other than the merchant from the inn who kept wondering why the voice had sounded so familiar to him. Suddenly he realized that the 'thief' he had tied to a tree and beaten was none other than the new Rav of Frankfurt. Horrified, he shrank into his seat, wondering if the Rav would ever forgive him.

He finally gathered the courage and approached the Rav with his head bent in shame and remorse.

Rav Abish immediately recognized the man standing before him. Though he was still standing in front of hundreds who were admiring his brilliance, the Rav gave no thought to his own dignity. He ran to the merchant and cried over and over, "Please believe me, I never took your spoons. Please, please believe me..."

[In my version of the story, Reb Abish'l didn't run over to him, rather the merchant came to beg forgiveness and Reb Abish'l "shrank into his seat" crying out, please don't hit me, I promise I didn't take your valuables...]

Point is. Here is one of the biggest Rabbanim in the world, surrounded by hundreds of admirers. Still he doesn't realize that this rules him out as a suspect of thievery...
?דער באשעפער לאווט מיך אייביג. וויפיל לאוו איך עהם
My Creator loves me at all times. How great is my love for him?

Re: hello everybody! 12 Aug 2012 00:06 #143454

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
Machshovo wrote on 03 May 2012 18:02:

allow me to share a chassidishe maiseh (hope I got the characters right) about a possuk in Tehillim:

The Baal Hatanya zy"a went to visit Reb Boruch of Mezhibush zy"a. Reb Boruch lived up in an attic. When the Baal Hatanya approached the steep flight of many stairs, he exclaimed with emotion: "Mi ya'aleh behar Hashem!" And Reb Boruch shot back from upstairs: "Umi yokum bimkom kodsho!" i.e. yes, constantly reaching up for levels of kedusha is a great thing to do, but one must also strive to remain in a state of kedusha.

Hmmmmm probably DIDN'T get the characters right. There seems to have been a major feud between those two particular tzadikkim, although it is very rarely discussed. Anyone with more info on the subject, is invited to share it with me.

Re: hello everybody! 12 Aug 2012 00:22 #143456

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה

Re: hello everybody! 12 Aug 2012 00:38 #143458

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 09 Aug 2012 14:23:

Ode to PsalmSayer

You wrote one already once

ZemirosShabbos wrote on 06 Mar 2012 19:37:

that was an Ode to TZ

ain ode milvado

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 14:46 #143792

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
טובה הארץ מאד מאד
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 14:52 #143793

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
TehillimZugger wrote on 14 Aug 2012 18:53:

TehillimZugger wrote on 11 May 2012 07:50:

Another thing the "great sephardi guy" told me was, "you're 20, single, and alone in israel, don't you miss your family?" "Listen you can make whatever faces you want, I've been in your place, and it's hell"
Told you he was a great guy.

So my addict side has been telling me, "All those wackos on GYE are really screwed up. The only reason I'm screwed up right now is because 'It's Hell' as soon as I get out of this Hell and get a family and a life, I'm saved! So I don't really need to work hard towards my recovery."

Yeah, I know it's pathetic, I just had to say it.

(failing to gain entry to your hallowed bachurim thread i will reply here)

i identify with the reasoning you mention.

even us middle-aged balding pot-bellied married folks driving 15-passenger vans are susceptible to saying things like "the only reason i am looking for you-know-what is because [the artichoke casserole was missing Italian tomato sauce, you'll see once the casserole turns out right] i will be perfection incarnate"

wishing you the best

p.s. pass the artichoke muffins please
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 15:31 #143805

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
I heard a 70 year old say that he is entirely convinced that ALL his problems are his wife's fault. She is the cause of his difficulties. The only thing that he still has yet to figure out is who's fault these same issues were during the ten years BEFORE he got married....??

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 15:35 #143806

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
He got married when he was 10 years old???? ??? :o ;D ;D ;D
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 18:19 #143813

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
He was married 60 years??

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 18:20 #143814

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
eat another falafel, and pass me an artichoke muffin while you're at it

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 18:26 #143815

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
After the falafel, I now have the pshat.

Between the ages of 39 to 59 he was married and divorced 3 times.
When he was 59 he adopted a dog.
At 69, his dog died, and he decided to get married again.
Now everything makes sense.

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 18:29 #143816

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
Gevura wrote on 16 Aug 2012 15:35:

He got married when he was 10 years old???? ??? :o ;D ;D ;D

seriously, I thought you were good at math?
he got married when he was 27, his problems started when he was 17, now what?

[where's my artichoke muffin?]

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 18:37 #143817

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
I do not appreciate having you guys make choizek of my friend...

> > >

Re: hello everybody! 16 Aug 2012 19:40 #143823

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Shteebz, is that even more shocking? :o :o ;D
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes