Welcome, Guest

Home of Gibbor120
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Home of Gibbor120 120791 Views

Re: Home of Gibbor120 05 Oct 2011 23:43 #121228

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I guess it will have to be a parve capocino .

Thanks. Something chocolaty for dessert please.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Home of Gibbor120 05 Oct 2011 23:48 #121229

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
oh! maybe a chocachino?
or maybe like the italyans
i was in italy in milano at an exhibition fair, i saw those italyans sipping expresso from a tiny china cup while smoking a cigar

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 15:26 #121284

• AlexEliezer
  • Platinum Boarder
In honor of your new status!
Attachments:

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 16:40 #121287

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Thanks AE, I see you are right on my tail to hero status.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 16:52 #121295

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Congrats, o Hero! G'mar chasimo toivo!
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 16:57 #121298

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
g'mar chasima tova to you too.  You aren't that far behind AE.  You'll be a hero in no time.  I wonder why people with over 1 or 2 thousand posts are not SUPER HEROS???

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 18:51 #121317

• AlexEliezer
  • Platinum Boarder
gibbor120 wrote on 06 Oct 2011 16:57:

I wonder why people with over 1 or 2 thousand posts are not SUPER HEROS???

They are

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 20:08 #121348

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
yup! 
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 20:08 #121349

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
What do we call someone with over 3700 posts then ?

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 20:18 #121352

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
ehhh, ....Zemmy?
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 20:22 #121354

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
ok, but not late for dinner
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Home of Gibbor120 06 Oct 2011 21:01 #121359

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Taken from Dr Sorotzkin on shidduchim. drsorotzkin.com/pdf/bashert.pdf

Is It Necessary to Understand the Historical Causes?

Many people react negatively to the idea of trying to understand the historical
causes for emotional difficulties. Some are concerned that this will minimize the
person’s sense of personal responsibility. It is interesting to note that few people have
this concern when it comes to objective factors that can inhibit a person’s range of
choices at any given moment. For example, if a recent ba’al teshuva became upset with
himself for not being as proficient in his religious observance as others who are frum
from birth; would anyone object to reassuring him by pointing out that, because of his
history, it is understandable that this is more difficult for him than for others? Of course
not! If the reasons for a person’s difficulties are emotional in nature, however, people
become concerned that giving recognition to these reasons will somehow undermine his
sense of responsibility.4

Others question whether there is any need to spend so much time and emotional
energy digging up the past when all they want to do is to solve their current problems.
They suggest that, perhaps, they only need to focus on identifying the troublesome
patterns and then try to change them.

This trend of seeking short-term solutions to emotional difficulties is found even
among many mental health professionals. In recent years, the trend in the field of
psychotherapy has been toward Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT), which focuses only
on challenging the faulty beliefs and attitudes underlying many emotional difficulties. As
a result, many people believe that it is no longer important to uncover or discuss the
original historical causes of these problems. There is much evidence, however, that it is
necessary to understand the developmental roots of emotional difficulties in order to
achieve durable change even when using CBT.5

Only by fully understanding how problems, with all their emotional nuances,
developed can a person hope to discover the most effective means to overcoming his
problems. This is what I call “fighting smarter, not harder.”

I often relate how I was once trying to nail a board for a succah onto a brick wall.
I knew enough to use a cement nail but no matter how hard I hit the nail it
wouldn’t penetrate the cement. Finally, a neighbor, who happened to be a
carpenter, happened by and observed my plight. Instead of spending the time
explaining what I was doing wrong, he just knocked in the few nails I needed with
minimal force. I watched him closely and after he left I tried it again, doing
exactly what he did. Again it wouldn’t penetrate at all. It was obvious to me that
it wasn’t a lack of trying hard enough that was causing the problem. I was doing
something wrong.
(emphasis mine) If this were an important skill for me to learn, I would have to find an expert to observe me and help me figure out what exactly I was doing wrong. I’d have to try smarter not harder!

Another important reason for a person to understand the historical reasons for his
difficulties is in order to counteract the feelings of inborn defectiveness and self-blaming that often paralyze those who struggle unsuccessfully over a long period of time to overcome a problem

Precious!  He discusses some of what we have been discussing here and here www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=4451.msg121333#msg121333 .
Last Edit: 09 Dec 2011 19:03 by .

Re: Home of Gibbor120 07 Oct 2011 18:13 #121434

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
gibbor120 wrote on 06 Oct 2011 20:08:

What do we call someone with over 3700 posts then ?

Addicts!  (But in a good way)

Gmar chasima tova
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Home of Gibbor120 10 Oct 2011 15:40 #121613

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I have been listening and reading a lot of Dr Ben Zion Sorozkin. drsorotzkin.com/ , especially his stuff about perfectionism.  It is AMAZING.  Much of it describes me to a t.

What's more amazing, is that I have been shmoozing a lot about it with my wife.  I was always scared to discuss any of my character flaws with her.  I needed to have this facade of being perfect (or at least pretty close ).  Since I have been opening up more and telling her how I feel, she loves and respects me more!  Who would've imagined it? (not me by a longshot )

Anyway, it's interesting.  Wives are really able to handle a lot if they feel we are being honest with them.  If we are not... well you can think about that one.  I never would've thought that talking about my low self esteem, perfectionism etc could be a source of closeness to my wife, but that's exactly what I am experiencing right now! WOW!

I have more to say, but this post is long enough for now.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 10 Oct 2011 18:26 #121645

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
gibbor120 wrote on 10 Oct 2011 15:40:

Wives are really able to handle a lot if they feel we are being honest with them.  If we are not... well you can think about that one.  I never would've thought that talking about my low self esteem, perfectionism etc could be a source of closeness to my wife, but that's exactly what I am experiencing right now!

i can identify. when we are open and honest and show that we are human, vulnerable, and that we have made mistakes and that we are not defined by those mistakes it is a sign that we are really connecting.
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes