Welcome, Guest

On This Day...
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: On This Day... 7558 Views

On This Day... 05 May 2013 16:13 #206622

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You never heard of Rebbes making sholom?
Just a place to post random things that happened on this day... (it keeps me busy when im online, and it keeps me away from researching "other" things)

So.... on this day in 1904 (May 5th)... Cy Young threw the first Perfect Game in Modern American Baseball
Life is Like a Bicycle: If its easy, you're going downhill
Hashem, If I can't have what I want, then please teach me to want what I have -Unknown (and if u know who it was please inform me)
(1+2)x4=3
There is NOTHING wrong with feeling pain -My Sponsor
I will not act out today, I will tomorrow. Maybe when I get to tomorrow, it will again be 'today'

Re: On This Day... 06 May 2013 01:14 #206649

• zvi
  • Gold Boarder
Here's another one- the Moslems recapture the city of Acre from the Christians in 1291. (Talk about random... :-D )
Life’s a mountain. You just gotta keep climbing…

Re: On This Day... 06 May 2013 01:48 #206654

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Lets not forget the Mexicans. They hate mayonnaise, so when a shipload of the stuff was lost at sea they declared a holiday known as "Sinko de Mayo"
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: On This Day... 06 May 2013 02:48 #206665

• reallygettingthere
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Gevura Shebyesod wrote:
Lets not forget the Mexicans. They hate mayonnaise, so when a shipload of the stuff was lost at sea they declared a holiday known as "Sinko de Mayo"

That is probably the absolutely most corninest joke I've ever heard in all the gilgulim that I've been alive.
Roy in the SA White Book noted that we frequently prayed and it did not work...because the best we could muster was begging G-d to "Please take it away, so I will not have to give it up!

No amount of sobriety can cure the insanity -ChaimCharlie

The emmes hurts but fake chizzuk will hurt more -Bards

Remember, best block, no be there - Mr. Miyagi

Re: On This Day... 06 May 2013 07:43 #206684

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
That's what I said when i first heard it too

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
- General Grant

Re: On This Day... 06 May 2013 14:51 #206694

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
...In 1937, the German zeppelin Hindenburg caught fire and was destroyed while trying to land at Lakehurst Naval Air Station in New Jersey, killing over 30 people on board.

BTW, even though it was known to be a symbol of Nazi dominance, the owner and builder of the Hindenburg was actually anti-Nazi. The Nazi party leaders wanted to call it the Adolf Hitler, but he quickly called it the Hindenburg after the late Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg, who was a German WWI War hero and President of Germany before Hitler took over.
Still, the Nazis managed to use the Hindenburg to their advantage, Seizing the Hindenburg and plastering it with Nazi symbols and dropping Propaganda Leaflets from it.
It was destroyed in an explosion from a single spark which ignited the extremely flammable hydrogen gas which the Hindenburg used for lift. (Helium was extremely rare and expensive in those days)
Hashem, If I can't have what I want, then please teach me to want what I have -Unknown (and if u know who it was please inform me)
(1+2)x4=3
I will not act out today, I will tomorrow. Maybe when I get to tomorrow, it will again be 'today'

Re: On This Day... 06 May 2013 14:54 #206696

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
zvi wrote:
Here's another one- the Moslems recapture the city of Acre from the Christians in 1291. (Talk about random... :-D )

BTW, that happened on May 18th... not the 5th
(1+2)x4=3

Re: On This Day... 07 May 2013 16:20 #206777

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
...in 1915, The German submarine U-20 torpedoed and sank the British ocean liner RMS Lusitania killing 1,198 on board.

This lead to the American intervention into WWI as many American citizens were on board
(1+2)x4=3

Re: On This Day... 07 May 2013 21:08 #206796

• jewish jew
  • Platinum Boarder
Pleasehelp9753 I see you read the Zman magazine of Pesach (I think it was Pesach), that had a whole article about the Hinderburg.
The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it’s connection
Last Edit: 07 May 2013 21:08 by jewish jew.

Re: On This Day... 07 May 2013 21:10 #206798

• jewish jew
  • Platinum Boarder
The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it’s connection

Re: On This Day... 07 May 2013 21:10 #206799

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
actually, its called wikipedia
(1+2)x4=3

Re: On This Day... 08 May 2013 22:21 #206874

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
... in 1945, The German Army now under the Flensburg Government which took over after Hitler committed suicide on April 30th, officially surrendered to the Allied Powers in Berlin. This marked the official end to World War 2 in Europe, though the war lasted a few more months in the Pacific against Japan.
Today is known as V-E Day for "Victory in Europe Day"
(1+2)x4=3
Last Edit: 08 May 2013 22:22 by lizhensk.

Re: On This Day... 16 May 2013 22:44 #207255

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
on this day of the jewish calendar, according to some, was Kabolas Hatorah (dont ask me why in Israel they only hold one day which was yesterday) Dovid Hamelech was Niftar, and according to some, The Baal Shem Tov was also Niftar.

On this day of the secular calendar, American physicist Theodore Maiman operated the first working laser.
(1+2)x4=3

Re: On This Day... 18 May 2013 22:26 #207319

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
forgot to post that on May 17th, a few years ago... I was born
(1+2)x4=3

Re: On This Day... 19 May 2013 07:47 #207326

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Happy Birthday!! Ad Meah v'Esrim with Gezunt, Nachas and Parnassah!!!

- General Grant

Time to create page: 0.54 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes