Welcome, Guest

Things that make you go "hmmmmm......"
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 14215 Views

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 04 Aug 2011 01:43 #113383

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
i just wanted to say hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Last Edit: by .

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 05 Aug 2011 02:08 #113629

• Reb Yid
  • Gold Boarder
  • TKO the YH
"You don't have to do extraordinary things to be successful in life. You merely have to do ordinary things, extraordinarily well!"

Mr. Avi Shulman
I am special
I was chosen for this special mission.
I must succeed.
Klal Yisroel needs me.
Hashem needs me.
Chizuk From the Parsha www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=3456.0
Letter From YH
www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3445.0;attach=1631

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 05 Aug 2011 02:13 #113630

• Reb Yid
  • Gold Boarder
  • TKO the YH
You don't fail when you fall, unless you fail to get up!!

Question:    How many times does it take to do ___________?
Answer:      As many times as it takes!!!!!

Mr. Avi Shulman
I am special
I was chosen for this special mission.
I must succeed.
Klal Yisroel needs me.
Hashem needs me.
Chizuk From the Parsha www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=3456.0
Letter From YH
www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3445.0;attach=1631

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 05 Aug 2011 14:42 #113683

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
The Local Recluse
By Rabbi Dovid Sears

In my hometown of Norwich, Connecticut, I knew a kind and devout elderly woman named Mrs. Sarah Lang, whose father, Rabbi Yisrael Stamm, had been a respected scholar and posek there during the early 1900s. Like almost all the Jewish residents of Norwich (including the Sears family), Rabbi Stamm hailed from the town of Shat, Lithuania. Another “landsman” who was close to the Stamm family was a porush, or recluse, named Rabbi Yitzchok Luria. And like his sixteenth-century namesake, Rabbi Luria was a kabbalist, albeit in the “Litvishe” tradition. (He might have been related to Rabbi Dovid Luria, a close disciple of the Vilna Gaon and author of an important commentary on Pirkei Rabbi Eliezer, but that’s just speculation.)

Mrs. Lang told me that Rabbi Luria used to spend the entire week in a little shack on the grounds of a farm a few miles south of Norwich, near the New England shtet’l of Montville. On Shabbos he would join the Stamm family and accompany his friend Reb Yisrael to shul. She remembered with nostalgia how her father and his guest would exchange Torah thoughts on the weekly Torah portion. Then after Shacharis and Musaf, Rabbi Luria would go to the home of another talmid chokhom for the day meal; upon his return, while his hosts took an afternoon nap, he would sit quietly in the dining room and study for awhile. Then he would close his eyes and sing wordless melodies of awesome deveykus to Hashem until it was time for the Minchah prayer.

One Shabbos afternoon, though, the guest returned while the family was just beginning the main course. “Reb Yitzchok,” Rabbi Stamm exclaimed, “what happened that you’re back so soon? Is something wrong?”

A little embarrassed, the guest hemmed and hawed until finally he divulged his secret with one sentence: “The rebbetzin put a carrot in the chicken soup…”

I raised an eyebrow when Mrs. Lang said this – but with a mischievous look, she offered a commentary of her own on that cryptic remark. “In those days, there were all sorts of ‘isms’ in the Jewish world. And basically, there were those who didn’t change anything versus those who wanted to change this or that. My father and Rabbi Luria were in the first camp. And that carrot suddenly appearing in the soup was a sign that the other rabbi’s wife was moving away from tradition. So the guest was afraid of her kashrus altogether. My father understood his feelings and asked him to join us for the day meal, too. From that day on, every week he spent the entire Shabbos with our family.”

When I was sitting shiva for my father in Norwich, a relative named Lou Fox was reminiscing with us and Rabbi Luria’s name came up. It seems that when he passed away, Lou had helped settle his estate and take care of his burial, etc. He remembered him as an awesome individual, a man who was not of this world.

asimplejew.blogspot.com/2009/05/guest-posting-by-rabbi-dovid-sears.html
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 11 Aug 2011 14:12 #114248

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
4G lechaim
Attachments:
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 11 Aug 2011 16:12 #114282

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Pentagon to Launch Fastest-Ever Plane
Thursday August 11, 2011 6:23 AM

By the time you finish reading this sentence, the Falcon HTV-2, the fastest plane ever built, could have flown 18 miles. It would get from London to Sydney in less than an hour, while withstanding temperatures of almost 2,000C, hotter than the melting point of steel.

Today, the US Defence Advance Research Projects Agency will launch the Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2 on the back of a rocket from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. If all goes to plan, engineers will launch the Falcon HTV-2 to the edge of space, before detaching the plane and guiding it on a hypersonic flight that will reach speeds of 13,000mph (about 20 times the speed of sound) on its return to Earth.

The Falcon started life in 2003, part of a US military research project to build a plane that could reach (and potentially deliver bombs to) any part of the world in less than an hour.

The plane has been tested in computer models and wind tunnels, but they can only simulate speeds up to Mach 15 (11,400mph). A real test is the only way to determine if the plane will remain flying at high speeds.

Today’s flight will also test the carbon composite materials designed to withstand the extreme temperatures the plane will experience on its skin and also the navigation systems that will control its trajectory as it moves at almost four miles per second.

The design and flight pattern of the plane has been tweaked since an aborted test flight in April last year. Nine minutes into that mission, which succeeded in flying for 139 seconds at Mach 22 (16,700mph), the onboard computer detected an anomaly and ordered the plane to ditch into the ocean for safety reasons.

{The Guardian/Matzav.com Newscenter}

how's this for an idea? put Guard Dov and Bards in such a plane and anytime someone needs help they can zip over
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 15 Aug 2011 19:28 #114679

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 15 Aug 2011 20:42 #114697

• ben durdayah
  • Current streak: 49 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No, that is not a mouse...
For Dov and the other two guys who care,
My real name really is
 Eli
Like the original Bendy, Ein hadavar talui ela bee

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 15 Aug 2011 21:12 #114704

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
www.mostlymusic.com/l-chaim-collection-shabbos.html

here is some real goodies
but it'll cost 20 portraits of George

i just bought it last week
beautiful stuff

but be careful, your friday night seuda might bump into shacharis
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 15 Aug 2011 21:31 #114709

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
את בנציבין ומצידתך פרוסה בירושלים
one is in any given corner of the world, and by trukking in GYE he can save someones life 1000's miles away

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 16 Aug 2011 04:51 #114766

• Back on Track
Yeah.. Its gr8.

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 16 Aug 2011 12:29 #114782

• installed
  • Platinum Boarder
The accidental legacy of corn flakes goes back to the late 19th century, when a team of Seventh-day Adventists began to develop new food to adhere to the vegetarian diet recommended by the church. Members of the group experimented with a number of different grains, including wheat, oats, rice, barley, and corn. In 1894, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, the superintendent of The Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan and an Adventist, used these recipes as part of a strict vegetarian regimen for his patients, which also included no alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine. The diet he imposed consisted entirely of bland foods. A follower of Sylvester Graham, the inventor of graham crackers and graham bread and supporter of sexual abstinence, Kellogg believed that spicy or sweet foods would increase passions. In contrast, cornflakes would have an anaphrodisiac property and lower the sex drive.[3]
This idea for corn flakes began by accident when Kellog and his younger brother, Will Keith Kellogg, left some cooked wheat to sit while they attended to some pressing matters at the sanitarium. When they returned, they found that the wheat had gone stale, but being on a strict budget, they decided to continue to process it by forcing it through rollers, hoping to obtain long sheets of the dough. To their surprise, what they found instead were flakes, which they toasted and served to their patients. This event occurred on August 8, 1894, and a patent for "Flaked Cereals and Process of Preparing Same" was filed on May 31, 1895, and issued on April 14, 1896.[2][4][5]

Corn flakes are usually served with milk. Fruits, such as banana and strawberry, are popular additions.
The flakes of grain were a very popular food among the patients. The brothers then experimented with other flakes from other grains. In 1906, Will Keith Kellogg, who served as the business manager of the sanitarium, decided to try to mass-market the new food. At his new company, Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company, he added sugar to the flakes to make them more palatable to a mass audience, but this caused a rift between him and his brother. (His idea would eventually be revived in 1952, when Frosted Flakes were introduced to the market) To increase sales, in 1909 he added a special offer, the Funny Jungleland Moving Pictures Booklet, which was made available to anyone who bought two boxes of the cereal. This same premium was offered for 22 years. At the same time, Kellogg also began experimenting with new grain cereals to expand his product line. Rice Krispies, his next great hit, first went on sale in 1928.[6]
There have been many mascots of Kellogg's Cornflakes. The most popular one is a green rooster named Cornelius (Corny) Rooster who has been the mascot since his debut. In earlier commercials he had a speaking part and his catchphrase was "Wake up, up, up to Kellogg's Cornflakes!" He was voiced by Dallas McKennon and Andy Devine. Later he stopped talking and simply crowed.

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 16 Aug 2011 12:47 #114786

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1226 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Our new "Breakfast of Champions"?  :
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 17 Aug 2011 19:40 #115104

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Study: An Hour of TV Takes 22 Minutes Off of Your Life
Tuesday August 16, 2011 8:11 PM

Spending your days in front of the television may contribute to a shortened lifespan, a new study suggests. Researchers in Australia found that people who averaged six hours a day of TV lived, on average, nearly five years less than people who watched no TV.For every hour of television watched after age 25, lifespan fell by 22 minutes, according to the research led by Dr. J. Lennert Veerman of the University of Queensland.

But other experts cautioned that the study did not show that TV watching caused people to die sooner, only that there was an association between watching lots of TV and a shorter lifespan.

Though a direct link between watching TV and a shortened lifespan is highly provocative, the harms of TV are almost certainly indirect, said Dr. David L. Katz, director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale University School of Medicine.

“As a rule, the more time we spend watching TV, the more time we spend eating mindlessly in front of the TV, and the less time we spend being physically active,” Katz said. “More eating and less physical activity, in turn, mean greater risk for obesity, and the chronic diseases it tends to anticipate, notably diabetes, heart disease and cancer.”

Another explanation for the possible link may be that people who watch excessive amounts of TV “are lonely, or isolated, or depressed, and these conditions, in turn, may be the real causes of premature mortality,” he added.

The report was published in the Aug 15 online edition of the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

In the study, researchers used data on 11,000 people aged 25 and older from the Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle Study, which included survey information about how much TV people watched in a week. Researchers also used national population and mortality figures.

In 2008, Australian adults watched a total of 9.8 billion hours of TV. People who watched more than six hours of TV were in the top 1 percent for TV viewing.

The statistics suggest that too much TV may be as dangerous as smoking and lack of exercise in reducing life expectancy, the researchers said.

For example, smoking can shorten of life expectancy by more than four years after the age of 50. That represents 11 minutes of life lost for every cigarette and that’s the same as half an hour of TV watching, the researchers said.

Without TV, researchers estimated life expectancy for men would be 1.8 years longer and for women, 1.5 years longer.

“While we used Australian data, the effects in other industrialized and developing countries are likely to be comparable, given the typically large amounts of time spent watching TV and similarities in disease patterns,” the researchers noted.

Dr. Gregg Fonarow, associate chief of cardiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, said that “there is increasing evidence that the amount of time spent in sedentary activity such at TV watching, distinct from the amount of time spent in purposeful exercise, may adversely impact health.”

And although participating in a regular exercise program can help, it may not be enough to offset the risks of spending too much of the rest of the day — while at work or at home — getting no exercise whatsoever.

“Staying active and reducing time spent sedentary may be of benefit in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and may be considered as part of a comprehensive approach to improve cardiovascular health,” Fonarow added.

Dr. Robert J. Myerburg, a professor of medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, added that “a sedentary lifestyle can reduce life expectancy.”

Myerburg isn’t sure why sitting around is not good for your health. “It’s better to look at it from a positive prospective,” he said. “That is: a physically active lifestyle is protective.”

{Health Day News/Matzav.com Newscenter}
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 17 Aug 2011 19:45 #115108

• bardichev
who needs tv when we have internet?
Time to create page: 0.67 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes