Welcome, Guest

Shteeble's collection of inspiration
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 18067 Views

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 04 Jan 2017 02:04 #302118

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
stillgoing wrote on 25 Feb 2022 15:13:

Our sobriety is not about a streak. It's not about how long you can hold our breath underwater until we finally drown or come up. It's about changing the way we do things to be free of our personal prison.When I'm lusting, even if I didn't technically 'fall' I don't consider myself free, but the flip side is when I'm working recovery and doing well - even if I had a bad day in the middle - I am far more free than I was when I had an impressive 'clean' day count.
Last Edit: 28 Feb 2022 19:29 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 04 Jan 2017 04:24 #302130

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 06 Mar 2022 03:03:
of course it is disappointing to break a streak and that disappointment is some thing important to recognize and share. However, once you have validated your feelings I believe that the following would be helpful. 

The count and streak of clean days are a tool to use to help break our bad behavior and thought patterns.  However as has been recently been noted, they are not a measure of where you are holding.  

when I think of my relationship with hashem,   I really only use one factor.  Am I going towards hashem or am I going away from him. Or as i sometimes will say am I going up the ladder or am I going down.  If I am going In the right direction it does not matter whete on the ladder I am. Someone who is on the top rung but headed down is in effect much further away than someone who is on the bottom rung but headed up. 

of course there will be hiccups along the way but if your general direction is truly positive you are consistently moving towards hashem and you should be able to sit down with confidence and celebrate your personal yetzias mitzrayim. The fact that you had one fall just shows that it is a struggle and helps to accentuate how meaningful all of your successes are.

Vehkam wrote on 30 Jul 2023 06:59:

If more of my thoughts and actions (compared to previously) are dedicated to doing the will of hashem then I am going towards hashem.  If not, then I am going away from hashem. 
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2023 13:18 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 04 Jan 2017 20:48 #302203

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

deleted
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2022 19:31 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 06 Jan 2017 15:59 #302450

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Yosef Tikun HaYesod wrote on 06 Jan 2017 14:25:

Yaacov543 wrote on 06 Jan 2017 04:04:
AAre there any shiurim on this topic I can listen to?

This website has HUNDREDS of shiurim on this subject.
Rav Ben Zion Shafier has a 12-part one called The Fight.
Start with those...they are awesome and very helpful.

Click Here to go to Rabbi Shafier's shiurim
Last Edit: 11 Sep 2023 17:23 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 13 Jan 2017 03:46 #303023

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
eslaasos wrote on 02 Aug 2016 18:06:

theyetzer wrote on 02 Aug 2016 14:00:
I need help. The first step to quitting is wanting to quit. How do I get there when I enjoy it so much?

From my own experience and from reading the forums for the past year, I think there are a few paths where guys like us find the motivation to stop.

The emotional path can be triggered in a traumatic way by hitting bottom. The realization that life has become unmanageable.

This is a painful experience, and if your level of acting out relative to your tolerance creates a level of manageability (denial certainly helps ) then you could end up like me, taking the long slow road that takes years to reach the tipping point of unmanageability. Much damage can be done to your family along the way, and it's not pretty.

Getting caught sometimes has a similar effect but not always.

There's another possibility. Instead of thinking about how to stop, try thinking about what's driving the habit. What is going on in your head that makes this habit so hard to break.

If your lifestyle includes a strong focus on your commitment to Hashem and to your wife, why would you persist in engaging in an activity that is a betrayal of both of those values?

Initially it may seem like it's nothing more than a natural response to a biological drive, but if it was nothing else, wouldn't your values overrule the drive? Your values are important enough to you that they induce you to make other sacrifices.

Aah, but this sacrifice is the hardest, much harder than fasting Yom Kippur.

So maybe there's some other cause, and maybe that other cause can be dealt with head-on, rather than just fighting the symptom.
Last Edit: 13 Mar 2022 20:33 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 16 Jan 2017 03:05 #303189

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
deleted
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2023 19:32 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 19 Jan 2017 00:39 #303551

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

deleted
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2022 19:56 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 25 Jan 2017 01:53 #304161

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

"an honest mouse" post=63244 date=1272372696 catid=1
I am by nature an anxious worrying type and since joining I've been much calmer and more relaxed.

I've started to accept that it is a lifelong journey of progression and I'm not going to recover from one day to the next, which in turn helps me to get back up after a fall and keep going.

My last few falls started when I was alone with nothing to occupy me, on the computer in college, driving around by myself (the streets in the summer...) or frustrated that my wife is having trouble becoming tehora.

My therapist (who is a rabbi and was trained in addictions by rabbi abraham j twerski) told me about about a book of rabbi twerski's where he says that a lot of addictions are caused by a lack of spirituality - he calls it spirituality deficiency syndrome.

My last good runs (36 & 21 clean days) were from selichos through succos & pesach and he reckons that I'm craving spiritual highs, and turn to lust when there's a void.

He suggested to think of ways to increase my 'jewish highs'.

I'm not enjoying my night seder (I'm in law school during the day) and as its my only proper seder, it's very frustrating that its not fulfilling, so I'm gonna think about changing that around.

He also suggested appreciating life, taking 10 minutes a day to appreciate the sunset or trees or colors in the sky or something to make it real. If you've got something real that your enjoying, it keeps you further away from fantasy.

When I have a productive day, I'm much calmer and in control. If I'm not productive, I suppose I get restless and frustrated which makes me more susceptible.

Summary: When I'm spiritually fulfilled, productive & occupied, I'm ok, but there are gonna be times that I'm alone, bored depressed, frustrated, unoccupied and spiritually low, and I have to think of ways to protect myself then.
Last Edit: 14 Mar 2022 17:08 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 25 Jan 2017 17:30 #304225

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

deleted
Last Edit: 28 Feb 2022 18:54 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 26 Jan 2017 01:53 #304271

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
an honest mouse wrote on 16 May 2010 22:51:
back to the normal reporting....

This evening I was really stressed, there was lots going on and all the issues were at dead ends, stuff was piling up.

A couple of months ago, I would've turned to lust. It would've got my mind off everything and made me feel better whilst I was chasing whatever it is I chased. I would feel like I was accomplishing something and at least I was getting there with something.

B"H I didn't tonight, for a second I thought, in the past, I would've gone after lust now but I'm not gonna do that, so what do I do instead? How do I distract myself from the stress and despair buliding up inside of me? what's the alternative?

But then I sat back, took a few deep breaths and said, 'H'shm, help me through this, I know you'll make it right when it's time', and then I felt a lot better.

I'm seeing that stress also leads to lust as a way out for me, and I've gotta remember that I have H'shm with me for that too, otherwise the lust will creep in through the back door before I know it... 
Last Edit: 15 Mar 2022 22:08 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 26 Jan 2017 23:08 #304438

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
deleted
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2023 01:24 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 02 Feb 2017 03:53 #304792

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
deleted
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2023 01:25 by shteeble.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 02 Feb 2017 03:59 #304793

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

gibbor120 wrote on 21 Aug 2011 04:56:
The Chofetz Chayim discusses a ba'al lashon hora and someone who speaks lashon hora.  A ba'al lashon hora is someone who never tries to control himself.  The gemara says his aveira is equivalent to a"z, giluy arayos, and shefichus damim.  However, if he controls himself sometimes, then he is not begeder a ba'al lashon hora.

I was thinking that everyone here can say they are not a ba'al ta'ava.  We may have ta'avos, but as long as we control them at least sometimes, we have already gained something precious.

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 02 Feb 2017 04:30 #304794

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Whoever is on this site is a hero!
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 06 Feb 2017 04:05 #304991

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

gibbor120 wrote on 12 Sep 2011 14:18:
I saw a great quote recently.

"Don't tell Hashem how big your problems are.  Tell your problems how big Hashem is."

Simple but powerfull, or is it powerless. oh whatever.
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes