Read once, then minimize to save screen space.

Forum Overview

Post on the forum to get support, tell your story and reach out for help when feeling weak!

You will never be alone in this struggle again.

The GYE forum is anonymous platform of group support, and a life-line of chizuk for hundreds of people in exactly your situation. 

To use the forum you need to first become a member of the site, sign up here.

After signing up to the site, go to the forum, enter one of our boards and press "New Topic" to begin posting! 

Welcome, Guest

Shteeble's collection of inspiration
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Shteeble's collection of inspiration 13836 Views

Shteeble's collection of inspiration 26 Sep 2010 14:07 #79003

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Welcome to my collection of inspiration.

The following is my own personal collection of THINGS.  (posts, chizuk emails, tidbits, thoughts etc.)

This collection contains the things I want to remember and review on a regular basis.
Remember, this is a COLLECTION, and I do not take credit for the ideas expressed here.  I think that most of what I will post will not be my own ideas.

Posting them here will also allow anyone who likes to to read and possibly benefit from them.

Any comments please feel free to pm.
Last Edit: 26 Jan 2017 23:05 by Shteeble.

Staying Happy 26 Sep 2010 14:26 #79005

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Always remember to stay happy!

The Yetzer Hara's biggest tools are depression and sadness.

Working on one's self is not a "sad" and "confining" thing, but rather it should bring us tremendous joy that we have the merit to sacrifice our desires for the creator of the entire universe.

If we take the time to think about Hashem's greatness for just a few minutes each day, then, like a candle before a torch, we will feel a total bitul (self-annulment) and a true joy in being able to give Hashem pleasure, by doing his will...

Someone who merits to give up his desires to Hashem, experiences a great joy of freedom, like Chaza"l say " Ain Ben choirin ela mi she'osek batorah" (there is no free man like he who deals in the Torah). The Torah's way brings true freedom to a person. All the people of the world are bound like slaves to their desires. The tzadikim are the freest people on earth.

Last Edit: 26 Jan 2017 23:05 by Shteeble.

Pleasure That Lasts 26 Sep 2010 23:16 #79079

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Pleasure that is tied with truth has a lasting effect and can help make a Mitzvah more whole,

like when we enjoy the Shabbos and Yom-Tov meals.

But pleasure that is tied to falsehood, like spilling seed, doesn't last.

That's why when the pleasure is over there is no feeling of fulfillment.

the pleasures connected with truth are there to make a Mitzva more whole.

And that's also why one who does these things, always wants it again and again. Why? He just had it! If it was a truthful pleasure, why isn't it there anymore?

The reason is because it is falsehood, and it leaves a feeling of void in its wake which causes him to search again to fill the void with another false pleasure.
Last Edit: 26 Jan 2017 23:04 by Shteeble.

Satisfied through Starvation 26 Sep 2010 23:20 #79080

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Here are some very important words of Chaza"l to remember: "There is a small organ in a man. When it is well-fed, it is hungry. When it is starved, it is satiated".

A World Of a Difference 26 Sep 2010 23:23 #79081

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Rabbi Mordichai Lechovitcher, one of the great Chassidic masters once said

"How bitter is the world when one lies inside it, and how good is the world when one is on top of it".

A Jew who is bound to his desires and cannot break free, feels a darkness in all he does. He can't appreciate the everyday beauty of the world and the harmony in nature. He can't appreciate the beauty of Yiddishkeit, or even of his own family.

Everything he experiences has a bitter taste.

However, the minute that one is master over his sexual desires, the world is suddenly so different. One can suddenly appreciate the beauty of a Shabbos and bask in the joy of Yom-Tov.

One can finally look at his family and praise Hashem for having given him such beautiful children. He can finally appreciate his wife in the proper manner. He can suddenly see the kindness of Hashem wherever he turns.

How fortunate is one who masters these temptations, not just in the next world, but in this world too!
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 10:15 by Shteeble.

Remorse 28 Sep 2010 02:56 #79193

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

At any time you remember throughout the day, talk to Hashem and express your deep remorse over your aveiros.  Request Hashem's help in overcoming your nisyonos.

Gog uMagog 28 Sep 2010 03:12 #79201

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

The Gaon of Vilna writes that the apocalyptic (a writing prophesying a cataclysm in which evil forces are destroyed) war of Gog and Magog that we read about on Succos can be averted if we reassert our allegiance to the Covenant of sexual purity through Tikun HaBris.
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 10:19 by Shteeble.

Pain Is Gain 03 Oct 2010 16:21 #79388

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Mind Frame 2.

Learn how to take the pain of saying "No" to yourself.

Learn how to enjoy the challenge!

Tell yourself, "the pain I feel is GOOD for me, the pain I feel is HEALING me, and it is fixing all that I have damaged in the past."

Can you imagine the pleasure we give Hashem every time we see something that pulls us to go astray, and instead of letting it get to us, we go against everything in our nature and scream out to Hashem from the depths of our hearts and say "Hashem!! Take this powerful desire of mine on your heavenly alter as a sacrifice for your honor!".
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 10:21 by Shteeble.

continued 04 Oct 2010 11:49 #79453

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

"Mind Frame 3. Instead of letting yourself feel the pain and having to sacrifice it to Hashem, train yourself instead on how to uplift the beauty that you see to Hashem.

In other words, instead of letting the beauty and desire get to you, immediately cry out to Hashem in you heart "Oh Hashem, how beautiful YOU must be, that you created such beauty in the world! For you, Oh Hashem, are the SOURCE of all beauty and pleasure that exists!"..."I want you Hashem, as much as I want this! I want you Hashem, instead of this!"

This frame of mind is a beautiful method of uplifting your heart to Hashem and not letting the desire get to you. How holy a person can become, if he trains his mind to think in this way!"
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 11:05 by Shteeble.

Giving In Will Solve Nothing. 05 Oct 2010 08:34 #79545

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Sometimes you are feeling low, depressed and very vulnerable.

In such a state the Yetzer Hara tells you that there's no use trying to fight.

But realize one thing.

The depression you feel will not go away by giving in, it will only get worse. The more you give in, the more you will need...

But in such a state, it is sometimes hard to fight all the way. Instead, distract yourself. Waste some time reading a good book, take a jog or take your family to the park. If you're tired, lay down and take a nap. But don't give in! Remember this always - no matter what state you are in,  giving in will SOLVE NOTHING!
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 10:16 by Shteeble.

Popped Bubble 05 Oct 2010 08:38 #79546

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

".....if you ever paid attention though, as the pleasure actually comes - THE AROUSALS have already LEFT YOUR HEAD. There are no more lusts or fantasies, only the petty pleasure. The bubble of desire is already gone, even as the pleasure comes. The Yetzer Hara has done it's job already...

- 10 seconds later, it's all over. Done. Nothing. Only emptiness and guilt are left to linger.

So it's 97% desire and 3% pleasure

So what is there to give in for? Don't give up everything precious for this! Earn your eternal reward in the world to come by just saying "No". "
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 11:07 by Shteeble.

The Front Lines 05 Oct 2010 08:40 #79547

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

"We discussed yesterday how the Yetzer Hara is all air, and how by using your head, you can conquer him without a major battle in your heart.

However, this is only true if you guard your eyes carefully.

Once the eyes start to see, the heart starts to lust, and the battle switches over from being in the mind to being a much more difficult battle of the heart.

Therefore, a person must make boundaries for themselves! Accept upon yourself to stop doing the things that cause the heart to become aroused. "

Shteeble:  Pause for a moment and try to think of things you do that cause you to become aroused.

Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 14:03 by Shteeble.

Tefillah 05 Oct 2010 08:42 #79548

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

"There is nothing as powerful as prayer to help a person break free and overcome the greatest tests.

Make a note of pesukim in Tehilim that you feel relate to your situation.

Compile a list of tehillim to read over to Hashem, with a broken heart, when you are feeling weak."
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 14:05 by Shteeble.

Re: world's collection of inspiration 06 Oct 2010 15:17 #79714

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Shteeble:

I want to post about something inspiring that happened to me.

I had an expierence where I felt very wronged by someone else.

I began to feel angry.

Then I stopped myself.

I asked myself if I could pretend to be humble.

I responded in a very humble way, not being makpid on my kovod.

I felt great after that.

Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 16:24 by Shteeble.

Re: world's collection of inspiration 10 Oct 2010 02:18 #80104

• Shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder

Shteeble:

Friday night I wasn't in the mood of singing zemiros.

I had a short conversation with The Ribono Shel Olam.

"Hashem, there were times today when I felt a strong desire.
I said then that I want to desire YOU HASHEM instead.
Now Hashem, please give the cheishek to sing zemiros to you."

I had the best zemiros this shabbos in months.

I want to remember to apply this to other situations as well.  i.e. when I'm not in the mood of learning.
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 10:17 by Shteeble.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes