Welcome, Guest

Recent posts that really resonate
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Recent posts that really resonate 4715 Views

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 30 Aug 2020 05:40 #354349

• starting
  • Current streak: 5 days
  • Platinum Boarder
"wilnevergiveup" post=354345 date=1598760812 catid=4

86 days and then what?

What changed? 

And if it happened after 90?

Come on! Get back in there! It's not about days, it's about being free from all this garbage!
I ought to say 86 days is a hell of an accomplishment! fall once every 86 days for the rest of your life and you will probably have a place pretty close to the throne. even better if you do 87 next time.
The start of 'STARting' is 'star'. Just start and you're a star!!

'the cleaner I stay, the cleaner I stay' - AlexEliezer
העבר עיני מראות שוא, בדרכך חינו (תהלים קיט, לז)
PM me for my phone number
Last Edit: 30 Aug 2020 17:31 by starting.

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 01 Sep 2020 09:59 #354466

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
Hashem Help Me wrote on 31 Aug 2020 02:57:
.... isn't the real simcha the fact that you bh have graduated.....? You have decided that this garbage is just not available anymore. It is similar to every once in a while we dream about what we could do with a few million dollars, yet we don't entertain the thought of robbing a bank....We all get urges - strong ones at times but we don't watch that poison anymore....

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 06 Sep 2020 06:19 #354651

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 04 Sep 2020 16:10:
My question is: Are you only focusing on the fact that it's a sin and you know it's wrong to indulge, or are you simultaneously working on gaining respect for the positive attributes of being clean?

Learning to love and appreciate the good and pure, and not just to despise the bad will help you achieve your goals.

When fighting an urge, let your thoughts be about how much you want to stay clean, about how beautiful every breath is when in control, in addition to the understanding of why its wrong.
Do what's right because it's right and not only because it's not wrong.

Grant

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 06 Sep 2020 06:40 #354652

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
wilnevergiveup wrote on 06 Sep 2020 05:46:
140 days!!!

.... If I pursue it GYE won't stop me, only I can.

I used to think that when I struggled there was only one way for it to end the question was just how long I would be able to hold out.

Now, although the fight is not easy, I realize that there is a another way for it to end. 
....  I am learning that when they come I have to be calm (no freak out, "here we go again...") and tell myself firmly, there are two ways for this to end, one is easy and painless (not going to say feels good because even then I know how awful it is after) and the other is difficult and painful. I will choose the difficult one because my life depends on it. There is no other choice, the other one is really death for me, it will cause me to have 3 days that I can't look at myself or my wife. Three days where I feel like there is nothing I can do to fix myself, like I am a hopeless hunk of flesh obsessed with satisfying my own desires without any regard to others. 

It has to be as strong as steel, I love my life right now and I know that I will hate my life after a fall and I have to say, it's much more pleasant to love your life then to hate it. I spent a large chunk of my adult life hating it, and I'm finished. 
.... I want to be able to choose. Doing whatever I desire is not called being able to choose. That's called being controlled by my desires. If every struggle ends with choosing the easier option, is that really called doing what I want? It's not called making a choice if the other option is not even a choice.

I daven every day that Hashem should help me in my struggles
.... May Hashem grant us all the ability to become better people by making the changes we need to make that will allow Hashem to pour over his siyata dishmaya.

Last Edit: 06 Sep 2020 06:41 by starting.

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 13 Sep 2020 14:09 #355006

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 13 Sep 2020 05:35:
.... I think about the actual pleasure I will have instead of the blown out of proportion fantasy promoted by the yetzer hara.

Think about it, the desire for the pleasure of the indulgence is greater than the actual pleasure. We all experienced that. We act out and say to ourselves "So that was what I drove myself crazy about? That's what I gave up so much for"?

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 17 Sep 2020 10:37 #355227

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
wilnevergiveup wrote on 17 Sep 2020 06:02:
​The word teshuvah means to return to the path that leads Shleimus (100% good) we don't need to be perfect, but we need to return to the path that leads there. 

Would love to have a mekor for this pshat in the word teshuva but definitely fits right in with what we know of where we should be heading and I absolutely love this line

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 17 Sep 2020 11:22 #355229

• wilnevergiveup
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
starting wrote on 17 Sep 2020 10:37:

wilnevergiveup wrote on 17 Sep 2020 06:02:
​The word teshuvah means to return to the path that leads Shleimus (100% good) we don't need to be perfect, but we need to return to the path that leads there. 

Would love to have a mekor for this pshat in the word teshuva but definitely fits right in with what we know of where we should be heading and I absolutely love this line

I think I heard it in a shiur from Harav Gifter ZT"L. I am sure there is a mekor somewhere, I will try to look into it.
Check out My Thread and The Truth

(עשה רצונו כרצונך (אבות,ב:ד

Feel free to email me  wilnevergiveupgye@gmail.com

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 27 Sep 2020 13:18 #355561

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 27 Sep 2020 03:10:
Whew! Tons of taiva right now, heart pounding and all...
But nope! I’m winnin this one.
Aaaaaahhhh!!! Sooo hard.
But no thanks!
A life of Dveikus is waaaayyy more Geshmak.

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 07 Oct 2020 15:48 #355872

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
Captain wrote on 06 Oct 2020 12:51:
Well, obviously the yetzer hara is always truthful and correct.

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 07 Oct 2020 15:55 #355874

• wilnevergiveup
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
starting wrote on 07 Oct 2020 15:46:
Day 33

My wife had a go at me today about our financial situation 

Came awfully close to masturbating my brains out
Multiple times

One thought that went through my mind then may be beneficial:
It will take multiple falls to relieve this
I will still be stuck financially then
My wife will not change her attitude 
I will feel even worse
And, I will not enjoy the fall at all
It will just give me the feeling that I'm free, that I can do as I wish 
But at the same time I will still feel the stress and burden of having to pay the bills
And I will be depressed as I do it and afterwards 

I am now realising that this thought process signals the progress of recent months
Both, that it comes up in my mind in times of nisayon and that it was a real detterent (and least at 33 days, I doubt I would have held back on day 10)

And while I hope and pray that my finances will be simpler and that I should not have these nisyonos, I thank hashem for revealing to me in such a clear example how great I can and will Iy"h go on to be
Check out My Thread and The Truth

(עשה רצונו כרצונך (אבות,ב:ד

Feel free to email me  wilnevergiveupgye@gmail.com

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 12 Oct 2020 19:45 #356024

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
wilnevergiveup wrote on 12 Oct 2020 08:35:

YeshivaGuy wrote on 12 Oct 2020 08:22:
Fine I’ll delete the app.
Yetzer Tov, tonight You win.

Gn

Yetzer Tov doesn't win, I @YeshivaGuy (or whatever your name is) wins.

It's funny, the ba'alei mussar point out, imagine a conversation in your brain between the Y"H and Y"T. one of them is always talking as you and the other talking as an outsider. Can you guess who is who?
It's always "I" need to do x, y, or z and the Y"T nebach has to stand on the outside telling you, "you know, really "you" shouldn't etc. ain't that backwards? 

This is how the Y"H tricks us, he makes us think that he is us (this is what it means when Adam Harishon sinned the Y"H went inside of us. He is not just in our subconscious minds, he actually has us defining ourselves by his terms). 

We can't forget that the truth is the opposite, we are our neshama, our intellect. It's not a battle between the Y"H and Y"T, the Y"T doesn't win, You do.

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 18 Oct 2020 19:54 #356396

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 16 Oct 2020 16:32:

90dys wrote on 16 Oct 2020 15:34:
October 16, 2020

Thought of the day:

​OK, so yetzer yara nails me by telling me that today was easy...so doesn't really count as "clean day." Answer: I guess my avoda for today is different - not to conquer urges but simply to thank Hashem for giving me a break. 

Food for thought: Even though it was an easy day without any heavy urges or extreme desire, if you were a classic goy, would you have acted out anyway? Probably. Dessert is delicious even if it isn't a necessity.

So there you have it, CLEAN DAY!

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 18 Oct 2020 20:24 #356397

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
"wilnevergiveup" post=356249 date=1602749534 catid=19

In the beginning we try to do everything in order to stop, we smash our phones, get filters, put restrictions, often we do these things just for us to feel like we are doing something when in reality what we need to do is work on self control.
Now don't get me wrong, those things are important, but essentially they are the easy part.
I once had a friend who was nice and overweight. every few weeks or so he would proclaim "that's it! I had enough! I am going on a diet!". He would then storm out and return a half hour later with bags and bags of food. He would go out and buy tons of "healthy food" bags of fruit and veggies, salmon, whole wheat bread and crackers etc. He would then spend most of the next two days preparing all his food, that was healthy of course.

It never occurred to him that you don't lose weight by eating more food just because it's healthy. It was too difficult for him to actually refrain from eating, all he was able to do was do and when he felt that his lack of control was too much for himself to bear he was compelled to do something about it, when in reality what he needed was to learn how to refrain.                                                   

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 20 Oct 2020 20:54 #356496

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
Im Tevakshena Kakasef wrote on 19 Oct 2020 10:19:
I have had a more sheltered upbringing then you, No pretty girls around all the time. No interaction with the opposite sex. And I've often thought, 'if I could just be able to be normal around girls, I would be so much better off. Like if I could chill with them, it would make this fight easier, less pent up frustration and feelings of awkwardness. Not everything they would do would drive me up the wall. I woouldn't sexualize every little thing.' Sound familiar? No? Thought not. Cos its the total opposite of what you feel. 

My point is the yetzer convinces us the grass is always greener. You have more interaction with girls, and feel that exasperates the taiva. I have less, and feel the same way.  Whatever our matzav is, that is where Hashem wants us to be. You are in a horrid, taiva filled matzav. So do what you can in that situation, and move on.

Last Edit: 20 Oct 2020 20:55 by starting.

Re: Recent posts that really resonate 21 Oct 2020 19:17 #356536

• starting
  • Platinum Boarder
This post, I believe was the most important post I have read anywhere.
Hit me hard. Until recently, even with good streaks, I still would have been describing what I'm not going to do in detail. Without even realising that I'm fantasising. 
This, I think, is the defining line between being drenched in list or living a serene, lust free life.
cordnoy wrote on 13 Aug 2014 22:18:

Title
FREE AT LAST (without bein' overconfident)

My wife goin' away
brings back memories
of all that i'd plan
on how I would please

in my olden days I'd get graphic
every detail I would share
but now that's no longer my focus
so we'll leave the past right there

Time to create page: 0.71 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes