Welcome, Guest

Stop immodest internet
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stop immodest internet 3385 Views

Stop immodest internet 29 Jul 2017 20:17 #318033

Stop gazing at immodest images on the internet.

Ben Azai says: Run to do an easy commandment as to a difficult one, and flee from sin; since a commandment leads to another commandment, and a sin leads to another sin; since the reward for a commandment is another commandment, and the reward for a sin is another sin.

Pirkei Avot 4:2

Every time you do it, you deepen a channel that desires to do it. You strengthen a negative habit.

Rabbi [Yehuda haNasi] said: Which is the straight path that a person should choose for himself? Whichever [path] that is [itself] praiseworthy for the person adopting [it], And praiseworthy to him from [other] people.

Pirkei Avot 2:1

You owe it to yourself and the people close to you to take care of yourself so that both can live the best possible life.

... And be as careful with a light commandment as with a weighty one, for you do not know the reward given [for the fulfillment] of [the respective] commandments. Also, weigh the loss [that may be sustained through the fulfillment] of a commandment against the reward [that may be obtained] for [fulfilling] it. And [weigh] the gain [that may be obtained through the committing] of a transgression against the loss [that may be sustained] by [committing] it. Keep your eye on three things, and you will not come to sin: Know what is above you: An Eye that sees, and an Ear that hears, and all your deeds are written in a book.

To give up on so much for a few moments of cheap, fake pleasure that the body can (and wants to ) do without. The mind cannot defend this. You become irresponsible, you lose self-esteem , health.  It causes weaknesses of character.

If it is such an obviously negative action that can cause much destruction why do we continue?!?

The answer: it is  very difficult, uncomfortable, and painful to quit. A person who forms these strong negative habits can find it next to impossible to quit.

The Talmud gave the solution to this problem:

Talmud Kidushin 30b. Even so did the Holy One, blessed be He, speak unto Israel: ‘My children! I created the Evil Desire, but I [also] created the Torah, as its antidote; if you occupy yourselves with the Torah, you will not be delivered into his hand."

Gazing at immodest internet is really an expression of the evil inclination which we all have . One whose heart and mind are occupied with Torah and wisdom has protection from the evil inclination.

The Rambam wrote that the way to acquire a habit is to repeat and the repeat the action over and over again. Studying Torah daily is way of both acquiring the  habit of daily Torah study and distancing oneself from the terrible and damaging habit of immodest internet.

Every new thing you want to do , grow into or out off, requires effort:  it can be difficult. At the same time we all have to do it many times during our lives.

Rabbi Noach Weinberg obm gives the example of children first learning to ride a bike. Most do not think they can do it but in the end most do. Learn from children.

A good attitude to have is to pretend you are preparing for a marathon. Live with the mentality of a person excited, disciplined, not too lazy or comfortable. A person that is determined to run this race.

Even if you do not succeed, it is still a success. Children that learn to ride bicycles do not succeed the first time , or the second time. They fall off quite a bit , and learn from each fall. Eventually they do succeed.

Proverbs 3:18 It is a tree of life for those who grasp it, and those who draw near it are fortunate.

Once you finally succeed your gain will have been infinite. Infinite because this is the distance between being a slave to immodest internet and a life that includes Torah study .

Rabban Gamliel the son of Rabbi Yehudah HaNasi said: Excellent is the study of the Torah together with a worldly occupation; for the exertion [expended] in both of them causes sin to be forgotten....

Pirkei Avot 2:2

Talmud Kidushin 30b. Even so did the Holy One, blessed be He, speak unto Israel: ‘My children! I created the Evil Desire, but I [also] created the Torah, as its antidote; if you occupy yourselves with the Torah, you will not be delivered into his hand."

Looking for an escape? Escape to Torah!
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2017 20:20 by anonymous_14.1.

Re: Stop immodest internet 30 Jul 2017 16:51 #318062

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
anonymous_14.1 wrote on 29 Jul 2017 20:17:

Stop gazing at immodest images on the internet.

Ben Azai says: Run to do an easy commandment as to a difficult one, and flee from sin; since a commandment leads to another commandment, and a sin leads to another sin; since the reward for a commandment is another commandment, and the reward for a sin is another sin.

Pirkei Avot 4:2

Every time you do it, you deepen a channel that desires to do it. You strengthen a negative habit.

Rabbi [Yehuda haNasi] said: Which is the straight path that a person should choose for himself? Whichever [path] that is [itself] praiseworthy for the person adopting [it], And praiseworthy to him from [other] people.

You owe it to yourself and the people close to you to take care of yourself so that both can live the best possible life.

... And be as careful with a light commandment as with a weighty one, for you do not know the reward given [for the fulfillment] of [the respective] commandments. Also, weigh the loss [that may be sustained through the fulfillment] of a commandment against the reward [that may be obtained] for [fulfilling] it. And [weigh] the gain [that may be obtained through the committing] of a transgression against the loss [that may be sustained] by [committing] it. Keep your eye on three things, and you will not come to sin: Know what is above you: An Eye that sees, and an Ear that hears, and all your deeds are written in a book.

To give up on so much for a few moments of cheap, fake pleasure that the body can (and wants to ) do without. The mind cannot defend this. You become irresponsible, you lose self-esteem , health.  It causes weaknesses of character.

If it is such an obviously negative action that can cause much destruction why do we continue?!?

The answer: it is  very difficult, uncomfortable, and painful to quit. A person who forms these strong negative habits can find it next to impossible to quit.

The Talmud gave the solution to this problem:

Gazing at immodest internet is really an expression of the evil inclination which we all have . One whose heart and mind are occupied with Torah and wisdom has protection from the evil inclination.

The Rambam wrote that the way to acquire a habit is to repeat and the repeat the action over and over again. Studying Torah daily is way of both acquiring the  habit of daily Torah study and distancing oneself from the terrible and damaging habit of immodest internet.

Every new thing you want to do , grow into or out off, requires effort:  it can be difficult. At the same time we all have to do it many times during our lives.

Rabbi Noach Weinberg obm gives the example of children first learning to ride a bike. Most do not think they can do it but in the end most do. Learn from children.

A good attitude to have is to pretend you are preparing for a marathon. Live with the mentality of a person excited, disciplined, not too lazy or comfortable. A person that is determined to run this race.

Even if you do not succeed, it is still a success. Children that learn to ride bicycles do not succeed the first time , or the second time. They fall off quite a bit , and learn from each fall. Eventually they do succeed.

Proverbs 3:18 It is a tree of life for those who grasp it, and those who draw near it are fortunate.

Once you finally succeed your gain will have been infinite. Infinite because this is the distance between being a slave to immodest internet and a life that includes Torah study .

Rabban Gamliel the son of Rabbi Yehudah HaNasi said: Excellent is the study of the Torah together with a worldly occupation; for the exertion [expended] in both of them causes sin to be forgotten....

Pirkei Avot 2:2

Would you be willing to have a chavrusa with me on the phone so that I can learn more and then avoid the internet?

Re: Stop immodest internet 30 Jul 2017 17:43 #318063

• fresh start
  • Current streak: 777 days
  • Expert Boarder
WG! This is the solution!!

Re: Stop immodest internet 30 Jul 2017 18:16 #318065

now i understand where negative karma comes from...

even i have an urge to click on the minus button! I can understand why "trouble" did it to me, he must have suspected that i was another Anonymous poster in disguise.

Question for פלוני אלמונ are you capable of recalling all this (or any of this), when a  "wave" of נסיונות hits you?           Are you aware that the torah DOES indeed talk about addictions? see אמונות ודעות לרב סעדיא גאון מאמר עשירי from beginning to end. And take notice that the modern day hebrew translation for addiction מכור (sold), is even coined there "מכר את עצמו".             In fact, if anyone want to read the first recorded "first step", he writes one out so well, that if you cite it in a SA group, they will think it was written by a member of SA Iran. (the sefer was written in arabic and translated to hebrew.    No, it was not HIS first step, he was detailing other people's suffering).       And if you want more sources, see הושע פרק ז and also sefer chasidim has a nice perek on addictions, from the same sources as R sadya gaon.         No, chizuk is not "everthing". and Addictions DO exist in biblical sources and the rishonim.          

Re: Stop immodest internet 03 Nov 2017 16:28 #321972

• FryGuy
  • Current streak: 92 days
  • Fresh Boarder
So what you're saying is that even with all the 12 step programs if you dont put in any effort ( ie learn torah)on your own then you'll never overcome your addiction? 
Last Edit: 03 Nov 2017 16:29 by FryGuy.

Re: Stop immodest internet 11 Jun 2018 15:43 #332009

• byebye
  • Senior Boarder
Old Timer wrote on 30 Jul 2017 18:16:
now i understand where negative karma comes from...

even i have an urge to click on the minus button! I can understand why "trouble" did it to me, he must have suspected that i was another Anonymous poster in disguise.

Question for פלוני אלמונ are you capable of recalling all this (or any of this), when a  "wave" of נסיונות hits you?           Are you aware that the torah DOES indeed talk about addictions? see אמונות ודעות לרב סעדיא גאון מאמר עשירי from beginning to end. And take notice that the modern day hebrew translation for addiction מכור (sold), is even coined there "מכר את עצמו".             In fact, if anyone want to read the first recorded "first step", he writes one out so well, that if you cite it in a SA group, they will think it was written by a member of SA Iran. (the sefer was written in arabic and translated to hebrew.    No, it was not HIS first step, he was detailing other people's suffering).       And if you want more sources, see הושע פרק ז and also sefer chasidim has a nice perek on addictions, from the same sources as R sadya gaon.         No, chizuk is not "everthing". and Addictions DO exist in biblical sources and the rishonim.          

wow, i wonder how they got rid of it w/o 12 steps,really,it would be a big help for all of us non 12 steppers.
Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018 15:46 by byebye.

Re: Stop immodest internet 11 Jun 2018 16:10 #332013

• mzl
  • Current streak: 28 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I found an answer to this machlokes for myself. Hashem gave us nezirus for those that can't handle certain temptations. It seems to me that a) it's about wine but it obviously can be applied to other desires as well, b) the Torah clearly draws a line between those that get over their problem in a month and the people who have a lifelong problem, and c) the Torah solved the problem of shame by obligating the nazir to grow his hair so that everyone will see what he is. And there are fascinating details about this mitzvah that make it all work out for the poor guy who has the problem.

Today the minhag is not to make a neder. But B"H we have an effective substitute, namely the support group.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.70 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes