Welcome, Guest

"Don't be such a tzadik." Who Said It?
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: "Don't be such a tzadik." Who Said It? 1386 Views

"Don't be such a tzadik." Who Said It? 17 Mar 2015 18:23 #250680

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
"Don't be such a tzadik."

I've heard this many times, and think it's yeshivish in origin, possibly even Talmudic (paraphrased, of course). I was going to make it my signature, but sincerely didn't want to give forum-members, or worse, G-d forbid, new-comers, the wrong idea.

My main question is simply, who said it? But I also think it's a good topic for discussion.

If you could be tzadik, by all means, for the good of the universe, be one! But if you can't, my question (which I've already answered in my own mind) is, should you try to be?

Recovery is a dirty business. If you're in the pits, and clawing your way out, is it wrong to want an escalator? I've gone from couching this struggle in terms of the Yetzer HaRa and the elevation of my neshama, to plain, old-fashioned, just do what works, and don't over-think it -- or think too much about it at all. In other words, I'm finding that letting-go involves a certain degree of intellectual detachment, despite my natural curiosity to gaze into the abyss and figure this out. It's not for me to understand.

The recovery pros here seem to have adopted a similar mindset. I see them cut to the chase whenever the forum threads descend into too much pilpul. "How does this affect your recovery?", is the basic theme to which they always revert back.
0% Tolerance and 100% Self-Forgiveness.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.
Last Edit: 17 Mar 2015 18:25 by TalmidChaim.

Re: 17 Mar 2015 18:28 #250682

• cordnoy
אַל תְּהִי צַדִּיק הַרְבֵּה, וְאַל תִּתְחַכַּם יוֹתֵר, לָמָּה תִּשּׁוֹמֵם

קהלת ז' ט"ז
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: 17 Mar 2015 18:29 #250683

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, that was easy! Haha.
0% Tolerance and 100% Self-Forgiveness.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes