Welcome, Guest

Talking to Hashem (not davening)
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 11725 Views

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 08 Jan 2014 04:23 #226291

• some_guy
  • Current streak: 2975 days
  • Platinum Boarder
That is great news. Try to talk to Him everyday. It is really just an amazing thing to do.
My Rabbi always gives me the same advice. "Be happy. The world is good. Just be happy."

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 09 Jan 2014 06:27 #226332

• sib101854
  • Current streak: 4045 days
  • Platinum Boarder
If one works on kavanah in the accepted Nusach HaTefilah, one must realize that there are two places for asking for HaShem to help you ( Refaeinu and Shmoea Tefilah). It is also critically important to remember that HaShem is Shmoea Tefilah, but certainly not a Mkabel Tefilah. As Rashi points out in discussing Yaakov Avinu's preparations for his reunion with Rsau HaRasha, that one must engage both in Hishtadlus and Tefilah, as opposed to relying on either Histhtadlus or Tefilah alone.

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 13 Feb 2014 22:40 #227656

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
Continued from Yaakov's Ladder

I said "Ribono Shel Olam, I have been looking at females, at certain parts of females, and I won't want to be doing that. I know that I have this feeling of entitlement to respect and compliments and I didn't get it. In order to protect that feeling, which I feel I need to do, I am giving it something else which it enjoys.

I know that I cannot take away the feeling, it is built into me, but I know that you can. I ask you to help me remember that all I am doing is living the way I should, nothing more than that, and that doesn't entitle me to anything. Please take away the feeling of entitlement so that I can continue to live the life that you give me the right way."

I felt so calm, so not needy after that....He had accepted!!!

THANK YOU HASHEM!!!
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov
Last Edit: 13 Feb 2014 22:42 by Pidaini.

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 12 Mar 2015 02:07 #250364

• ineedchizuk
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Yankel,

Don't be a stranger...................

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 08 Apr 2015 02:46 #251942

• some_guy
  • Current streak: 2975 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I remember a story that could not be better suited for this thread if I made it up.

A holy rabbi was standing at the Western Wall, saying Tehillim with as much concentration that he could. At one point old man walk up next to him. The old man faced the Western Wall and start to talk. At first the rabbi was confused, thinking that this stranger was talking to him. Then he heard some of the conversation and realized that the old man was talking to Hashem.

He sounded just like how someone would sound talking to a friend from across the table. At one point the old man stopped and thought for a moment. He then said, 'I am sorry. I told You about that yesterday.' The rabbi carefully listened to this old man in awe. Eventually the old man left. The rabbi turned back to his Siddur. In stunned silence, he realized that he had never truly prayed to Hashem before.
My Rabbi always gives me the same advice. "Be happy. The world is good. Just be happy."

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 10 Jan 2016 03:15 #273792

• cordnoy
Pidaini wrote:
I wanted to share what has been helping me lately.

As I have written in a recent post, I was having quite a rough time, I had slipped a few nights in a row. I was tired of youtube already and the next step was......I was in a situation where if someone were to tell me that they were at that point, I would have not been able to give them any advice.

But I went into my car, and I talked to Hashem (see aforementioned post for details of the conversation) and I am happy to say that I am sober.

I have used this a few times since then, with %100 success BH.

Here is what I have found to be helpful.

I found that every discussion included my telling Hashem three main points:

1) My fears/resenments

2) My desires (which are coming because of my f/r)

3) Asking Hashem to carry me through

I found the first two dificult to do, the first because when I started saying them I realized that it was silly that I was worrying about them/letting them get to me. But I let it out, I told them to Him, and excused myself that I am human and cannot always see and trust Hashem, therefore these things do affect me.

The second I found dificult because I had to let it all out, "I want to look at naked women and to calm me down from You" and saying that brought it to my attention for real, forcing me to really see what I was ready and likely to do.

The third came automatically after the second, I realized I have a problem, and that if I stayed within myself I would do that, I only had one choice. It was a wholesome, real Prayer.

A few people have already asked some questions about the idea, and as I don't have too many answers I wanted to share and hear from the oilam.

Although Gibbor said that this is similar to davanin' except that it is done w/o a minyan and not at right time, I like Pidaini's perspective on this.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 10 Jan 2016 03:50 #273795

• Josephsbrother
  • Current streak: 926 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank my Creator for His Loving Kindnesss
Pidaini wrote:
I wanted to share what has been helping me lately.

As I have written in a recent post, I was having quite a rough time, I had slipped a few nights in a row. I was tired of youtube already and the next step was......I was in a situation where if someone were to tell me that they were at that point, I would have not been able to give them any advice.

But I went into my car, and I talked to Hashem (see aforementioned post for details of the conversation) and I am happy to say that I am sober.

I have used this a few times since then, with %100 success BH.

Here is what I have found to be helpful.

I found that every discussion included my telling Hashem three main points:

1) My fears/resenments

2) My desires (which are coming because of my f/r)

3) Asking Hashem to carry me through

I found the first two dificult to do, the first because when I started saying them I realized that it was silly that I was worrying about them/letting them get to me. But I let it out, I told them to Him, and excused myself that I am human and cannot always see and trust Hashem, therefore these things do affect me.

The second I found dificult because I had to let it all out, "I want to look at naked women and to calm me down from You" and saying that brought it to my attention for real, forcing me to really see what I was ready and likely to do.

The third came automatically after the second, I realized I have a problem, and that if I stayed within myself I would do that, I only had one choice. It was a wholesome, real Prayer.

A few people have already asked some questions about the idea, and as I don't have too many answers I wanted to share and hear from the oilam.

I fine when all else is falling apart, the One promised I, and none else, no other deliverance, while it is good to take advantage of all resources, we have One intimately responsible for us, that is the promise of One, so keep the relationship of life, and grow in it.

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 10 Jan 2016 03:56 #273797

• Josephsbrother
  • Current streak: 926 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank my Creator for His Loving Kindnesss
We have a friend to the end, and when One is our friend, all other imaginary one cannot equal the beauty of our talk, walk! Like Joseph, how can I sin against my Maker, my friend.
Last Edit: 10 Jan 2016 04:04 by Josephsbrother. Reason: Corrections

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 16 Jan 2023 17:23 #390915

• sapy
  • Platinum Boarder
Bump.

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 16 Jan 2023 22:09 #390919

• eerie
  • Current streak: 738 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks, Sapy! Especially for newcomers like me it can be eye-opening to read some of the old threads, golden oldies. This whole thread struck a deep cord within me. Thanks again, and keep trucking!
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 16 Jan 2023 22:26 #390921

• cordnoy
Eerie wrote on 16 Jan 2023 22:09:
Thanks, Sapy! Especially for newcomers like me it can be eye-opening to read some of the old threads, golden oldies. This whole thread struck a deep cord within me. Thanks again, and keep trucking!

You called ..... ?
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 17 Jan 2023 00:18 #390925

• eerie
  • Current streak: 738 days
  • Platinum Boarder
cordnoy wrote on 16 Jan 2023 22:26:

Eerie wrote on 16 Jan 2023 22:09:

You called ..... ?

You know, cordnoy, every Yid is a chelek Elokah. But you, especially, remind me of Hashem. Even when you don't feel it, know that he's listening. I know you don't like cheerleadin' and all, but still I say: Thanks for all you do for us my friend!
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 13 Feb 2023 00:49 #391996

• Junior Boarder
Absolutely beautiful! I appreciate your heartfelt honesty and genuineness. 

Re: Talking to Hashem (not davening) 18 Aug 2023 03:10 #400050

• Mrsman
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the written the following with the intention of saying it regularly as part of my davening -- quietly before I leave shul on weekdays:

Hashem,

You are the most powerful, gracious, all-knowing being.  You constantly perform miracles on our behalf and have generated more kindness than harshness over a thousand times.  I thank you for the wonderful life that I have had - good health (until now), wonderful wife and kids, beautiful home and community.

Despite all of these wonderful things, I have turned away from your holy Torah.  I am weak and I followed the Yetzer Hara to look at inappropriate items and damaged my Holy Covenant.  And while I have tried multiple times to turn away, I am always imprisoned by my own lusts and return.

Now, I am very sick and barely able to stand because of my damage to the Holy Covenant.  I am first begging for forgiveness for this terrible sin.  I am begging for the koach to resist temptation and avoid repeating this sin.  And I am begging for a Refuah Shleima so that I can continue to serve you Hashem in a truly appropriate manner.
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes