Welcome, Guest

Alter Rebbe's Advice- Worked For Me
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alter Rebbe's Advice- Worked For Me 1451 Views

Alter Rebbe's Advice- Worked For Me 06 Dec 2012 22:06 #149026

• MattiIsrael
I wanted to share with you a strategy that works very well for me in overcoming urges of all types, in the hope that it may help others. In the Alter Rebbe's Sefer Tanya he says:

" בעצת חכמינו ז״ל: אשה חמת מלאה צואה, וכהאי גוונא"
" [Following] the advice of our Sages on overcoming a lust for women, let one reflect on their words, 'Woman is a vessel full of filth,' and the like."

So based on what the Alter Rebbe advises I have developed a strategy:

1.When I get up in the morning I breath into my hands or spit into my hand (or a tissue) so that I can smell my own breath- the smell of course is putrid.

2. I tell myself..."this smell that I am smelling of my own breath and saliva is the same smell of a woman's breath and saliva. She may disquise the smell by using a breath mint or toothpaste, but her real smell is what I am smelling now..I will not be a fool who imagines that a women's breath is naturally sweet and pleasant....why do you think that women always keep mints or breath freshner in their car or purse...they don't want to publisize the true smell of their breath..."

3. Then I ask myself "Is this smell that I smell now, what I want to run after on the internet or on the street...something that has this inner smell?"
4. When I notice myself being drawn after forbidden images during the day, I think back to the morning smell and the repulisive nature of it...and I find the desire that I have to look at forbidden images etc. -vanishes. Another approach I use is that during the day I once again breath into my hands or spit into my hand so that I can smell my own breath and remind myself about the advice of the Alter Rebbe.

Re: Alter Rebbe's Advice- Worked For Me 06 Dec 2012 22:43 #149028

• nederman
Original. It sounds like Rabi Akiva who tried to see women as geese. It's auto-suggestion. It's nothing like the cognitive approach because that one is based on objective thoughts. I would love to hear more about it as you vet it out.

Watch out that if you do this really assiduously you may lose the ability to get aroused. Just like regular women stink your wife will stink too.

Re: Alter Rebbe's Advice- Worked For Me 07 Dec 2012 09:53 #149041

• Blind Beggar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Not a sexaholic, just trying to be good.
This is really Chazal and not the Alter Rebbe.
How do Chazal deal with the problem of using this aitzoh and still being attracted to your wife?
The Blind Beggar is a character in Rebbe Nachman's story of the Seven Beggars.
If I view a woman as an object, I am powerless over lust, but I don't have to look.
I can guard my eyes.
I want to guard my eyes.
I do guard my eyes.
Why do I say these four lines?

Re: Alter Rebbe's Advice- Worked For Me 10 Dec 2012 11:35 #200028

• mexicanjew
  • Junior Boarder
If you can put in your mind that women something disgusting, then you can put all women except your wife... I guess

Re: Alter Rebbe's Advice- Worked For Me 10 Dec 2012 15:12 #200030

• nederman
yosefhatzadik wrote:
If you can put in your mind that women something disgusting, then you can put all women except your wife... I guess

From the specific things he is telling himself it sounds as if they would apply to his wife as well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes