Welcome, Guest

Self-reinforcement- daytight compartments part 2
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Self-reinforcement- daytight compartments part 2 1604 Views

Self-reinforcement- daytight compartments part 2 30 Nov 2012 16:22 #148739

• avi4853
Keeping things in perspective and just focusing on the here and now can be very challenging, especially because the Yetzer Hara keeps trying to tell us that there is no way we can beat him, and that its just a matter of time before we fall again.

One strategy which I have found to work for me may sound a bit infantile. Anytime that I avoid staring at a women, or navigate away from an inappropriate link on a webpage or stay away from an area where inappropriatly dressed women can be found,... I give myself a tally in a little notebook that I keep in my pocket. I promise myself that if I get 50 tallies, i.e. I withstand the Yetzer Harah just 50 times, no matter how long it takes me to get to 50, I'm going to treat myself to CD of my favorite Jewish music, or a sefer that I have wanted to buy for a long time. If I fall, it doesn't matter because I'm tallying my successes, and Mitzvos are never cancelled by Aveiros!

Eventually, I hit 50, buy myself that CD or sefer, and every time I learn the Sefer or listen to that CD, I'm reminded by the fact that I Hashem wants me to succeed and will help me to do so.

The next time, my goal is 75 tallies, and for some reason, the period of 75 goes by faster than it took to get to 50. Baruch Hashem, my goal is now 200, and B'ezras Hashem, I'll get their shortly.

Re: Self-reinforcement- daytight compartments part 2 27 Jan 2015 08:07 #247689

• shomer bro
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow! I really like that idea because it reinforces the concept that we keep all our wins throughout our journey of recovery. Sometimes we lose sight that we've grown and only focus on our falls, but this method of yours really is great to debunk that fallacy.

Re: Self-reinforcement- daytight compartments part 2 27 Jan 2015 09:11 #247701

• cordnoy
And maybe knock off two or three tallies every time you do take a sneak-peek.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Self-reinforcement- daytight compartments part 2 04 Feb 2015 21:32 #248201

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Love the idea. This has got to help keep you on top of your game. After all as Chazal say

the eye sees -the heart lusts- and the body follows in stride!

Keeping our eyes absolutely clean nips it in the bud.

I
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2015 21:34 by yiraishamaim.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes