Welcome, Guest

In dire need of support
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: In dire need of support 658 Views

In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 17:33 #407067

• notgivingup321
  • Current streak: 206 days
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been sober for a very long time 

long story short my friend/partner shlepped me to for a few days outing to not a good place and I felt like something went into me I couldn’t resist and I fell badly 

I NEED HELP I CANT BELIEVE THIS HAPPENED 

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 18:23 #407073

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
notgivingup321 wrote on 15 Jan 2024 17:33:

long story short my friend/partner shlepped me to for a few days outing to not a good place and I felt like something went into me I couldn’t resist and I fell badly 

Kudos for not staying stuck and reaching out for help. I guess you're a human being after all. Humans are prone to falling, especially when we are exposed to triggering situations. You have been sober for a very long time and you'll be able to be sober for a very long time going forward as well! 
If you view your lapse as a mistake and as a product of external triggers, rather than as a personal failure, research shows that you will have a much better chance of return to abstinence quickly. Your lapse becomes a tool to move forward and to strengthen your motivation to change, your identification of triggers and urge-controlling techniques, your rational coping skills, and the lifestyle changes needed to lead a more balanced life.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 18:31 #407074

• notgivingup321
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much for your support it means a lot to me in this time 

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 19:20 #407078

• yitzchokm
  • Current streak: 332 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome to joining the GYE community today. You were in a not good place but that brought you to the best place. Keep on shteiging. Waiting to hear more from you.

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 19:22 #407079

• notgivingup321
  • Fresh Boarder
yitzchokm wrote on 15 Jan 2024 19:20:
Welcome to joining the GYE community today. You were in a not good place but that brought you to the best place. Keep on shteiging. Waiting to hear more from you.

yup that’s true but it’s extremely painful when you’re sober for YEARS 
I fooled myself that this is not going to be a trigger 

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 19:57 #407087

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
notgivingup321 wrote on 15 Jan 2024 19:22:

If this is a one time fall don't get too overwhelmed. Realize your mistake, put strong safeguards in place so this doesn't happen again and continue shteiging.

I suggest that you say the viduy of Rabbeinu Yonah in Yesod Hateshuvah, which is a section in Shaarei Teshuva, and get up from your fall. Once you do viduy, charatah and kaballah the sin is gone. Although Rabbeinu Yonah writes that for a single time transgression a person should do a lot of charatah it seems that you have done enough of it already. I think the viduy should suffice.

It is also worth taking note of the words of the Shaarei Teshuva 1:6, ועתה בינה שמעה זאת, כי הוא עיקר גדול. אמת הדבר כי יש מן הצדיקים שנכשלים בחטא לפעמים, כענין שנאמר כי אדם אין צדיק בארץ אשר יעשה טוב ולא יחטא, אכן כובשים את יצרם מאת-פעם, ואם יפלו בחטא פעם אחת, לא ישנו לו, ונקוטו בפניהם, וחוזרים בתשובה. It seems like you caught yourself early enough and took swift action to properly fulfill this directive. Wishing you continued Hatzlacha.
Last Edit: 15 Jan 2024 19:59 by yitzchokm.

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 20:06 #407089

• notgivingup321
  • Fresh Boarder
yitzchokm wrote on 15 Jan 2024 19:57:

notgivingup321 wrote on 15 Jan 2024 19:22:

If this is a one time fall don't get too overwhelmed. Realize your mistake, put strong safeguards in place so this doesn't happen again and continue shteiging.

I suggest that you say the viduy of Rabbeinu Yonah in Yesod Hateshuvah, which is a section in Shaarei Teshuva, and get up from your fall. Once you do viduy, charatah and kaballah the sin is gone. Although Rabbeinu Yonah writes that for a single time transgression a person should do a lot of charatah it seems that you have done enough of it already. I think the viduy should suffice.

It is also worth taking note of the words of the Shaarei Teshuva 1:6, ועתה בינה שמעה זאת, כי הוא עיקר גדול. אמת הדבר כי יש מן הצדיקים שנכשלים בחטא לפעמים, כענין שנאמר כי אדם אין צדיק בארץ אשר יעשה טוב ולא יחטא, אכן כובשים את יצרם מאת-פעם, ואם יפלו בחטא פעם אחת, לא ישנו לו, ונקוטו בפניהם, וחוזרים בתשובה. It seems like you caught yourself early enough and took swift action to properly fulfill this directive. Wishing you continued Hatzlacha.

Thanks so much do you by any chance have a link of it?

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 20:41 #407094

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a pdf file but I don't know how to attach it to a post.
Last Edit: 15 Jan 2024 20:45 by yitzchokm.

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 20:43 #407095

• notgivingup321
  • Fresh Boarder
yitzchokm wrote on 15 Jan 2024 20:41:
I attached a file.

Nothing attached 

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 20:46 #407096

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't know how to attach it. Add file on its own didn't work.

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 20:56 #407097

• notgivingup321
  • Fresh Boarder
yitzchokm wrote on 15 Jan 2024 20:46:
I don't know how to attach it. Add file on its own didn't work.

Can you please email it to me 
notgivingup321@gmail.com
notgivingup321@gmail.com

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 21:06 #407099

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 23:04 #407115

I was in similar situation 2 years back, falling after being clean for many years. At the time I didn't have the good sense to reach out to GYE and nip it in the bud, and that one fall created a domino effect of numerous subsequent falls, as the heter of R Huna ....כיון שעבר אדם עבירה ושנה בה kicked in. Until Hashem brought me here and I am finally able to see a beacon of light.
Thank Hashem that you are here NOW, and grab on to this opportunity to make this a one-time slip-up, with the right guidance from the Balei Nisayon here. It's possible! You can do it.
Do not let this get you down, rather let be a sign, that this battle is never over, and you must keep your guard up forever.
You are perfectly normal that you fell, and it takes true Gevura to reach out and get back up

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 23:26 #407116

• notgivingup321
  • Fresh Boarder
0711 wrote on 15 Jan 2024 23:04:

I was in similar situation 2 years back, falling after being clean for many years. At the time I didn't have the good sense to reach out to GYE and nip it in the bud, and that one fall created a domino effect of numerous subsequent falls, as the heter of R Huna ....כיון שעבר אדם עבירה ושנה בה kicked in. Until Hashem brought me here and I am finally able to see a beacon of light.
Thank Hashem that you are here NOW, and grab on to this opportunity to make this a one-time slip-up, with the right guidance from the Balei Nisayon here. It's possible! You can do it.
Do not let this get you down, rather let be a sign, that this battle is never over, and you must keep your guard up forever.
You are perfectly normal that you fell, and it takes true Gevura to reach out and get back up

Thanks so much for your words it really means a lot your encouragement as this is very painful 

Re: In dire need of support 15 Jan 2024 23:33 #407117

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
notgivingup321 wrote on 15 Jan 2024 23:26:

Thanks so much for your words it really means a lot your encouragement as this is very painful 

Rabbeinu Yonah writes in Shaarei Teshuva 1:13 that the levels of Teshuva are based on the amount of pain felt but make sure you don't consider yourself a personal failure as that can be very dangerous. I suggest that you read chapter 10 and appendix A of the book "The Battle of the Generation". You can download an e-book at https://guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation

רק חזק ואמץ!!!
Last Edit: 15 Jan 2024 23:44 by yitzchokm.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes