Welcome, Guest

My long journey
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: My long journey 1162 Views

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 18:47 #407214

• eerie
  • Current streak: 720 days
  • Platinum Boarder
cordnoy wrote on 17 Jan 2024 01:22:

yitzchokm wrote on 17 Jan 2024 00:01:
I will be going to Israel when the weather is nice. I am attracted to chassidishe women because of their dignity and beautiful clothing, and to all Israeli women because I feel like they are my friends. Of course this is a fallacy. Many Israeli non-religious women aren't even Jewish. If I were to tell Israeli women that they were my friends they would probably give me a very cross look. 

​I am looking for safeguards so that my thoughts and actions remain pure. I read the book of Rabbi Ezriel Tauber years ago and it helped me a lot in the past. When going in the streets, I went around with the thought that my neshama is a chelek eloka mima'al and it is beyond my dignity to lust. I also went around with the thought that I am the son of Avraham, Yitzchak and Yaakov, whereas lust comes from the decadence of a corrupt culture that is way below me. I walked with pride that I am not eating in the same trough as the non-Jewish sub-humans. I still had feelings of lust in the past, I was prone to M and these positive thoughts weren't as powerful as now after being on GYE for over half-a-year. Hopefully now I will be more successful.

I also have to put safeguards in place regarding behavior. I shouldn't be talking to any women other than immediate family unless there is a real reason. If I do have to talk to a woman I can be polite but I don't have to talk more than is necessary. I should also treat her as a person, understand that she has a life of her own and avoid objectifying her.

If anyone has additional thoughts to share I would be glad to listen.

"Non-Jewish sub-humans"!? You're a sick fellow; go get some real help. Explains why you're eatin' from a trough!

It seems our friend Yitzchok has taken your words very literally. I would question the need to write "You are a sick fellow", which I think is very harsh. The point you're making, that he's thinking wrong, can be made simply by saying "It is wrong to call them...or think of them as...
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 19:13 #407217

• yitzchokm
  • Current streak: 290 days
  • Platinum Boarder
It is Cordnoy's way of speaking when he wants to say that a person is going in the wrong direction. He is very jovial, for those who know him well. I wasn't overwhelmed by his words; I was just trying to respond like a well-behaved boy. But I am still waiting for him to accept my teshuva.

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 19:35 #407219

• cande
  • Platinum Boarder
yitzchokm wrote on 17 Jan 2024 19:13:
It is Cordnoy's way of speaking when he wants to say that a person is going in the wrong direction. He is very jovial, for those who know him well. I wasn't overwhelmed by his words; I was just trying to respond like a well-behaved boy. But I am still waiting for him to accept my teshuva.

you can find the pirate, in the southern seas, and confess to him.
i thought GYE is not a cult or chassidus?
#guilt trip

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 19:39 #407220

• iyh2023
  • Gold Boarder
cande wrote on 17 Jan 2024 19:35:

i thought GYE is not a cult or chassidus?

"cult or chassidus" !?!?    You're a sick fellow; go learn some Tanya.
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2024 15:27 by iyh2023.

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 19:59 #407222

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't think Cords is God, although he puts it in his signature, but I let him enjoy the driver's seat. I sometimes might disagree with him and I sometimes feel like we may be living in two different worlds but I respect other people's perspective and tend to retract some of my original statement to make place for both. Usually, as was the case here, I really made a mistake.

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 20:06 #407223

• cande
  • Platinum Boarder
yitzchokm wrote on 17 Jan 2024 19:59:
I don't think Cords is God, although he puts it in his signature, but I let him enjoy the driver's seat. I sometimes might disagree with him and I sometimes feel like we may be living in two different worlds but I respect other people's perspective and tend to retract some of my original statement to make place for both. Usually, as was the case here, I really made a mistake.

lets not obsess over it, and get addicted

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 21:35 #407228

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder

Is your retraction about you or is it about Cordnoy? Please clarify

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 21:58 #407231

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
eerie wrote on 17 Jan 2024 21:35:

let's not get carried away and distracted to forget what is our goal over here...
why are we on GYE? 
(and why are we in this world )
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 22:11 #407233

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
eerie wrote on 17 Jan 2024 21:35:

I am not sure what you are trying to ask. When I make a mistake I try to retract but when Cordnoy is the one pointing it out I treat him with more respect. When someone else disagrees with me and I don't think I made a mistake, I sometimes might ignore his criticism, but when Cordnoy disagrees with me, he is representing a group that shares values that are slightly different than my own and I respect that, notwithstanding the fact that I believe otherwise. This is why I took a slightly different approach than you the last time we both disagreed with Cordnoy. I agree that it might simply be the way I tend to relate to other people.

I only saw davidt's post after I posted mine. I agree that we should close this discussion and get back to work.
Last Edit: 17 Jan 2024 22:46 by yitzchokm.

Re: My long journey 17 Jan 2024 23:54 #407234

• eerie
  • Platinum Boarder
My point is, are you retracting because you truly believe that you erred, or because Cordnoy said something. My words are about you, not at all disrespecting anyone. But yes, please keep trucking, onward with our journey!
Last Edit: 17 Jan 2024 23:55 by eerie.

Re: My long journey 30 Jan 2024 19:22 #407938

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." 
Melchor Lim
Last Edit: 30 Jan 2024 19:36 by yitzchokm.

Re: My long journey 27 Feb 2024 08:40 #409180

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
I feel like I am being mocked for having strong filters on my technological devices and refusing to go onto unfiltered devices. I found an excerpt from an address by Rabbi J.B. Soloveitchik in the halachic context of the chazaka of chazal that a woman would prefer being married than living alone. I feel like it speaks to me regarding my situation. I am taking it out of the original context because it holds true in many circumstances, including my own.

“Secondly, we must not yield, we must not yield, I mean emotionally, it’s very important. We must not yield, I mean develop and experience an inferiority complex, and because of that complex, yield to the charm, usually it’s a transient passing charm, of modern political or ideological slogans. I say not only not to compromise, certainly not to compromise, but even not to yield emotionally, not to feel inferior, not to feel an inferiority complex. And it should never occur to me that it’s important if we would cooperate, just a little bit with the modern trend or with the secular modern philosophy”.

Rabbi J.B. Soloveitchik

Torah, Chazal and Science, page 715

I hope this will keep me steadfast in my beliefs.

Last Edit: 28 Feb 2024 06:11 by yitzchokm.

Re: My long journey 28 Feb 2024 06:33 #409266

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
The reason for my previous post is because I had a slip. I went onto an unfiltered device that belongs to a family member, searching for a resort place. I knew that I will inevitably end up seeing things that I shouldn't but I rationalized that if I only go into the browser without going into websites nothing will go wrong. Sure enough an immodest drawing showed up next to one of the websites. I took a second look and then immediately closed the browser. Just before that I looked up a country on Wikipedia on that computer and there were immodest thumbnail pictures. I am so used to only going onto a computer that has a good filter that I naively rationalized that there is a way to be safe on an unfiltered device, ignoring my intuition which was telling me that this reasoning was false.

Afterwards, I thought about what I did and I realized that the reason I took the risk in the first place was because I felt like I would be called a fanatic and a hermit if I would have made it a rule that I never use that computer for the internet. I realized that what I really wanted to do, which is never to use unfiltered devices for the internet, is stemming from Daas torah of the rabbanim whom I follow regarding technology. I also realized that it is a weakness on the part of my family members that they attack me for righteous behavior. I countered their behavior with writing the words I quoted in the previous post in my personal journal. I then posted it on this thread.

I posted on someone else's thread that the Shulchan Aruch writes to be brazen like a leopard in the face of mockery and ignore them. The Mishna Brura adds that we shouldn't argue with them but we should ignore them and do the right thing. I realized that I needed to use my own advice for myself.

Anyway, I hope to succeed in sticking to my commitment not to use unfiltered devices for the internet. I also don't want to go onto their smartphones for family WhatsApp anymore. I only did these things occasionally in the past but now I am ready to stay away from them for good.
Last Edit: 28 Feb 2024 07:45 by yitzchokm.

Re: My long journey 08 Apr 2024 11:53 #411414

• Captain
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey what's doing? We miss you!
In the place where ba’alei teshuva stand, even pure tzaddikim who never sinned cannot stand. (Rabbi Avohu, Brachos 34b)

Great free resources:
My favorite book for breaking free: The Battle of the Generation 
https://guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation. Change your attitude and change your life!

Rabbi Shafier's incredible lectures on breaking free: The Fight. Download here: 
https://theshmuz.com/series/the-fight/

If you're only ready to try something small, check out an easier way to do self-talk here:
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/378128-Captain—Shtarkemotionals-Secret90Day-Challenge

Re: My long journey 31 May 2024 16:52 #414447

• yitzchokm
  • Platinum Boarder
I left the GYE forum because it was too time consuming but I want to express my deepest gratitude to each and every one of the GYE members who posted as you all have shaped who I am today. I feel like a healthy person and I believe that I healed. It is all because of your posts and more importantly your criticism. I have used everything you taught me to navigate life's challenges effectively. I sorely miss you all but as per the advice of my psychologist I left the forum. Hashem should bless each one of you with sobriety and material and spiritual success.

I haven't completely left Guardyoureyes as I am active on Hitdanoigen nowadays. It is less time consuming and I am enjoying the chassidishe flavor of HDO which is helping me grow spiritually.

A special thank you to Cordnoy who reached out to me privately after I had to leave the forum temporarily due to an addiction to the forum and it is in your merit that I revised my plan and reached sobriety. In addition, your criticism was essential in purifying my mind from faulty beliefs and improper behaviors. A special thank you to Hashem Help Me who reshaped my approach to married life and it is because of you that I feel like I can have a healthy married life. Your guidance and chizzuk were essential in making me grow. A special thank you to Chaim for resolving a number of technical issues I had with the forum that required your intervention. Last but not least a special thank you to Rabbi Dr. Abraham Yehoshua Twerski Zatzal for your investment in GYE which made recovery possible for me.

GYE is dear to me and it takes up an irreplaceable corner of my heart. Hashem should bless GYE with everything that it can use to fulfill its mission broadly and effectively. All the best.
Last Edit: 31 May 2024 17:12 by yitzchokm.
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes