Welcome, Guest
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: My problem 2616 Views

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 19:08 #408366

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 475 days
  • Platinum Boarder
willdoit wrote on 06 Feb 2024 18:44:

davidt wrote on 06 Feb 2024 18:26:

willdoit wrote on 06 Feb 2024 16:17:
Hi all,

I am currently (still) struggling with looking and lusting when walking in the street. I had bad days and worse days. i am still trying to find the proper way how to deal with this.. last night I had an embarrassing story... I found myself staring at this lady, and she noticed it, then I realized its my friends spouse - and immediately my mind got flooded with all kind of negative thoughts; she will repeat to her husband, he will lookdown at me, will think that I am not happy with the way my wife dresses (which has some truth)..
I am hurting....

Maybe you can use this as a tool to help you for the future. Think about this, every married woman is a human being with a spouse (even if you don't know him). Each one has their own history, pain, challenges and issues which we don't know about. You're not staring at an object, it's a human being who deserves respect. You can go further by saying a prayer for her that she should succeed and hashem should help her with whatever needs she might have... 

Thanks! I am grappling with this idea for a long time, I am trying to apply it in real life but id does not seem to take away the lusting. my mind plays with me' like, so what?  what if she is a human being, she is attractive!. the lust wont yield. what am i doing wrong?

Once upon a time ago you liked this post
Hashem Help Me wrote on 07 Dec 2023 12:28:
By praying for her that she have a pleasant day, etc. your brain stops objectifying her. If that doesn't work, imagine tapping her on the shoulder and telling her you appreciate looking at her because it arouses you sexually. After she bites and scratches you and has you arrested, you won't do that again so fast.
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/416899-The-Red-Face

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 20:54 #408369

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder

Hi all,

I am currently (still) struggling with looking and lusting when walking in the street. I had bad days and worse days. i am still trying to find the proper way how to deal with this.. last night I had an embarrassing story... I found myself staring at this lady, and she noticed it, then I realized its my friends spouse - and immediately my mind got flooded with all kind of negative thoughts; she will repeat to her husband, he will lookdown at me, will think that I am not happy with the way my wife dresses (which has some truth)..
I am hurting....

Maybe you can use this as a tool to help you for the future. Think about this, every married woman is a human being with a spouse (even if you don't know him). Each one has their own history, pain, challenges and issues which we don't know about. You're not staring at an object, it's a human being who deserves respect. You can go further by saying a prayer for her that she should succeed and hashem should help her with whatever needs she might have... 

Thanks! I am grappling with this idea for a long time, I am trying to apply it in real life but id does not seem to take away the lusting. my mind plays with me' like, so what?  what if she is a human being, she is attractive!. the lust wont yield. what am i doing wrong?

What you're doing wrong? You're staring at women! (please forgive me for being so blunt) 

There's a reason that the torah does not allow us to gaze at women.
As the famous Ohr Hachayim (Acharei Mos, 18:2) writes: 
As long as one does not stay away from looking, even if he stays away from thinking about it, he will not be able to control himself and rid himself of the inevitable desire. As we can see from the story of R' Amram, the Rebbe of all Chassidim (Kidushin 81a), that even though he was far from thinking about these things, he was won over by the aspect of "sight"  And we can also see this from the story of Reb Masya Ben Charash (Yalkut Shimoni; Veyechi) who chose to blind himself when he felt that he would be forced to come to bad deeds through the sight of his eyes, even though he was surely far from thinking of these things.

All these ideas are good if someone accidently sees something triggering, but to go stare at women with the intention of lusting... you lost the battle right there... Start by working on guarding your eyes and you'll see the lusting desires will hopefully start to diminish BE"H.  
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 20:58 #408370

• willdoit
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
davidt wrote on 06 Feb 2024 20:54:

Hi all,

I am hurting....

What you're doing wrong? You're staring at women! (please forgive me for being so blunt

As long as one does not stay away from looking, even if he stays away from thinking about it, he will not be able to control himself and rid himself of the inevitable desire. As we can see from the story of R' Amram, the Rebbe of all Chassidim (Kidushin 81a), that even though he was far from thinking about these things, he was won over by the aspect of "sight"  And we can also see this from the story of Reb Masya Ben Charash (Yalkut Shimoni; Veyechi) who chose to blind himself when he felt that he would be forced to come to bad deeds through the sight of his eyes, even though he was surely far from thinking of these things.

All these ideas are good if someone accidently sees something triggering, but to go stare at women with the intention of lusting... you lost the battle right there... Start by working on guarding your eyes and you'll see the lusting desires will hopefully start to diminish BE"H.  

Don't apologize!! I need to hear this straight up...
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2024 20:59 by willdoit.

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 21:18 #408373

• willdoit
  • Gold Boarder

Hi all,

I am hurting....

What you're doing wrong? You're staring at women! (please forgive me for being so blunt) 

What is supposed to be the goal of applying this perspective of deobjectifying, does it kill the lusting?

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 21:30 #408374

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 475 days
  • Platinum Boarder
willdoit wrote on 06 Feb 2024 21:18:

Hi all,

I am hurting....

What is supposed to be the goal of applying this perspective of deobjectifying, does it kill the lusting?

Nothing kills lusting - that is, nothing but some good old fashion hard work. 

Deobjectifying is a first step that helps you do the work. 

When you think of the person behind your stare as a wife, mother, sister ect  it helps you refocus your thoughts away from her

NO do not go up and down the street intensely looking at every lady and than patturing yourself quickly by saying wife, mother, sister ect.
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/416899-The-Red-Face

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 21:38 #408375

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
The goal of applying this perspective of deobjectifying is to help us live with the truth and move away from bad dimyon and sheker. 

Shlomo Hamelech says in Mishlei (9 17): מַיִם גְּנוּבִים יִמְתָּקוּ וְלֶחֶם סְתָרִים יִנְעָם - "Stolen waters are sweet, and hidden bread is pleasing". Rav Avigdor Miller, ztz“l, explains the reason for the sweetness – because it’s not yours. When a glass of that glistening, sparkling water is handed to you and is honestly yours, suddenly the magic is gone and it’s quite tasteless. Much of the allur is simply because it is forbidden.

When it comes to the Yetzer Hara attacking our minds with inappropriate lusting, we are encouraged by chazal to imagine them as barrels full of excrement and blood! We can--and should--picture them in our minds as getting old, overweight, worn, bad breath, etc. We should even picture them in our minds as rotting corpses if necessary! We can use the very power of "dimyon" that the Yetzer Hara uses to make us "imagine" we could have them, to "imagine" them in the worst ways possible.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 21:53 #408376

• willdoit
  • Gold Boarder
redfaced wrote on 06 Feb 2024 21:30:

willdoit wrote on 06 Feb 2024 21:18:

Hi all,

I am hurting....

Nothing kills lusting - that is, nothing but some good old fashion hard work. 

Deobjectifying is a first step that helps you do the work. 

When you think of the person behind your stare as a wife, mother, sister ect  it helps you refocus your thoughts away from her

NO do not go up and down the street intensely looking at every lady and than patturing yourself quickly by saying wife, mother, sister ect.

Part of the reason I constantly keep on looking is; cuz the way I respond to these obsession's or obsession's in general is that I keep on ruminating, with the subconscious belief that if I dwell long enough, ill have control over them or even better, make it go away.. but its a false belief and it aint making things any better 
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2024 21:54 by willdoit.

Re: My problem 07 Feb 2024 02:37 #408395

• youknowwho
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you willdoit, davidt and redfaced for this substantive discussion today, I found it really helpful!

Re: My problem 07 Feb 2024 02:51 #408397

• cande
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi all,

I am hurting....

what works for me:
i think to myself ,if id be walking with my wife, and id tell her,
"honey give me a min, i need to gaze at mrs bitcha, she arouses me", 
what would be her response/thought.
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2024 03:23 by cande.
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes