Welcome, Guest

Make it to Yeshiva
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Make it to Yeshiva 98594 Views

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:16 #360574

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:04:
Showing our kids what a person can become and develop and refine and utilize our given strengths is all extremely important. But that has nothing to do with gadlus and sheifos it is every person's journey whether it will seem mediocre to somebody else or not. If somebody has a big soul and brain they should develop it and that is their journey. It is the picture that we create and then the pressure to fill it is what is causing immense problems.

There’s a difference between pressure and responsibility.
My Rosh HaYeshiva got up last week and spoke about how we are the future of Klall Yisrael and gotta fight the Yetzer etc
That was not pressure.
That was the Rosh HaYeshiva instilling within his Talmidim a sense of achrayus

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:16 #360575

• mggsbms
  • Current streak: 12 days
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:11:

mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:06:
I suspect that this mindset has brought to many fine people to this site..

Maybe.
But I know that I would never have pushed myself to learn and make it to a real Yeshiva and shteig unless my Rebbium instilled within me a drive to attain Gadlus.
Honestly, I think this is poshut stuff.
Obviously it should be done with love and properly, but we need to communicate to our children that they are the future of Klall Yisrael.
This Dor needs to take achrayus.

That's great! But we do need to graduate of that mindset at one point (It is debatable if out should be used as a stepping stone at all) and be true to ourselves, ch"v not to become lazy and lax with our avodah but to make it real and about ourselves.
Aka -  Mischadeish075 Email mischadeish075@gmail.com

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:21 #360576

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:16:

YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:11:

mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:06:
I suspect that this mindset has brought to many fine people to this site..

Maybe.
But I know that I would never have pushed myself to learn and make it to a real Yeshiva and shteig unless my Rebbium instilled within me a drive to attain Gadlus.
Honestly, I think this is poshut stuff.
Obviously it should be done with love and properly, but we need to communicate to our children that they are the future of Klall Yisrael.
This Dor needs to take achrayus.

That's great! But we do need to graduate of that mindset at one point (It is debatable if out should be used as a stepping stone at all) and be true to ourselves, ch"v not to become lazy and lax with our avodah but to make it real and about ourselves.

Graduate from what? Aliyah b’Ruchniyus?

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:21 #360577

• neshamaincharge
  • Current streak: 3654 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I will quote something that ur-a-jew shared on my thread over 6 years ago that was tremendously helpful for me...
ur-a-jew wrote on 09 Sep 2014 20:22:
Okay. I'm not one of the smart guys just a guy with some time on my hands and a desire that someone not waste his life away because he feels that he is supposed to be the gadol hador, but will never be, so why bother at all.
When I first came here many moons ago, I believe it was Dov who commented to me stop thinking so much and start doing.
The feeling that I am supposed to be, could be the gadol hador, but I am not the gadol hador, is in my not-smart-guy opinion a form of gayvah. Now, you may say I'm not looking to be the gadol hador but simply NIC. But reading in between the lines you seem to be saying that had NIC lived up to his potential he could have been Admor NIC Shlita.
We all myself included think we are greater than we really are. As you seem to recognize is a feeling the Yetzer Hora throws upon us.
When we come up to shomayim, we will see what it is that Hashem wanted from us. We are not Neviim and we have no way of knowing. But we do know this: Hashem gave us a Torah and to the best of our abilities He wants us to keep it. So what that means on a practical level is that we need to take one day at a time and serve Him each day to the best of our abilities. Some days we will succeed. Others we won't. If we take that approach after 120 we can look back and see a lot of single days that add up to a mountain of accomplishment. The other alternative is that we can start out each day, say today there is no way I can finish the day as the gadol hador so I might as well not try. At the end of 120 we will look back, see nothing and say "you see I told you I couldn't do it."
I forget which Rishon says that our mission in life is to perform 1 mitzvah l'shem shomayim. And that is pshat in רצה הקבה לזכות את ישראל לפיכך הרבה להם ורה ומצות. Since there are so many opportunities hopefully the person will perform one right during his life time. So we don't have to write the hammek davar, we don't even have to be a tzaddik, we have to be good Jews. Treat our wives properly (not as a sex object), raise good children and be honest in business.
If you start working on that TODAY you will be able to look back in a year from now and hopefully say that I don't know whether I have reached my potential but I know that I am a better person than I was last year.
I just want to end with a story someone once told me. He was speaking to a kid that was in the dumps. The kid turned to him and said tell me Rabbi (he actually wasn't a real rabbi but a business man who was making an effort to fulfil his potential): It says that if a person does teshuva his averois become zechuyos. Tell me exactly how all of the XXX movies I've watched will become zechuyos. The business man thought for a minute and turned to him (he told me Hashem put this answer in his head on the spot). When you go to Yeshiva and start applying yourself and you eventually become a rebbi you will turn to a kid who was just like you and he asks you "how can I do it." you'll be able to respond I was the same way but look where I've come to. At that point all of those movies will become zechoyus. So NIC, do your job for today. And tomorrow do your job for tomorrow. In a couple of years when the next NIC comes on and says he is such a failure be in the position to tell him, I was there to, I felt like a nothing too. But look at me now. Everyday, I try my best to be a good yid and you can too. At that point, you will see how you were able to transform a perceived walking baal taschis into a walking baal tachlis.
Hope I didn't offend you with anything I wrote. And, if you disagree with what I wrote then I guess you'll have to wait for the smart guys to come along.

In my case, he was 100% correct. I sabotaged myself for so many years because of my beliefs that I was a failure because I wasn't reaching my potential. His advice worked for me, and I'm a better person today because of it. 
Wishing you much Hatzlacha on your journey!
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2021 05:26 by neshamaincharge.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:22 #360578

• mggsbms
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:16:

mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:04:
Showing our kids what a person can become and develop and refine and utilize our given strengths is all extremely important. But that has nothing to do with gadlus and sheifos it is every person's journey whether it will seem mediocre to somebody else or not. If somebody has a big soul and brain they should develop it and that is their journey. It is the picture that we create and then the pressure to fill it is what is causing immense problems.

There’s a difference between pressure and responsibility.
My Rosh HaYeshiva got up last week and spoke about how we are the future of Klall Yisrael and gotta fight the Yetzer etc
That was not pressure.
That was the Rosh HaYeshiva instilling within his Talmidim a sense of achrayus

That is a great value responsibility nothing wrong with that.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:27 #360579

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
neshamaincharge wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:21:
I will quote something that ur-a-jew shared on my thread over 6 years ago that was tremendously helpful for me...
Okay. I'm not one of the smart guys just a guy with some time on my hands and a desire that someone not waste his life away because he feels that he is supposed to be the gadol hador, but will never be, so why bother at all.
When I first came here many moons ago, I believe it was Dov who commented to me stop thinking so much and start doing.
The feeling that I am supposed to be, could be the gadol hador, but I am not the gadol hador, is in my not-smart-guy opinion a form of gayvah. Now, you may say I'm not looking to be the gadol hador but simply NIC. But reading in between the lines you seem to be saying that had NIC lived up to his potential he could have been Admor NIC Shlita.
We all myself included think we are greater than we really are. As you seem to recognize is a feeling the Yetzer Hora throws upon us.
When we come up to shomayim, we will see what it is that Hashem wanted from us. We are not Neviim and we have no way of knowing. But we do know this: Hashem gave us a Torah and to the best of our abilities He wants us to keep it. So what that means on a practical level is that we need to take one day at a time and serve Him each day to the best of our abilities. Some days we will succeed. Others we won't. If we take that approach after 120 we can look back and see a lot of single days that add up to a mountain of accomplishment. The other alternative is that we can start out each day, say today there is no way I can finish the day as the gadol hador so I might as well not try. At the end of 120 we will look back, see nothing and say "you see I told you I couldn't do it."
I forget which Rishon says that our mission in life is to perform 1 mitzvah l'shem shomayim. And that is pshat in רצה הקבה לזכות את ישראל לפיכך הרבה להם ורה ומצות. Since there are so many opportunities hopefully the person will perform one right during his life time. So we don't have to write the hammek davar, we don't even have to be a tzaddik, we have to be good Jews. Treat our wives properly (not as a sex object), raise good children and be honest in business.
If you start working on that TODAY you will be able to look back in a year from now and hopefully say that I don't know whether I have reached my potential but I know that I am a better person than I was last year.
I just want to end with a story someone once told me. He was speaking to a kid that was in the dumps. The kid turned to him and said tell me Rabbi (he actually wasn't a real rabbi but a business man who was making an effort to fulfil his potential): It says that if a person does teshuva his averois become zechuyos. Tell me exactly how all of the XXX movies I've watched will become zechuyos. The business man thought for a minute and turned to him (he told me Hashem put this answer in his head on the spot). When you go to Yeshiva and start applying yourself and you eventually become a rebbi you will turn to a kid who was just like you and he asks you "how can I do it." you'll be able to respond I was the same way but look where I've come to. At that point all of those movies will become zechoyus. So NIC, do your job for today. And tomorrow do your job for tomorrow. In a couple of years when the next NIC comes on and says he is such a failure be in the position to tell him, I was there to, I felt like a nothing too. But look at me now. Everyday, I try my best to be a good yid and you can too. At that point, you will see how you were able to transform a perceived walking baal taschis into a walking baal tachlis.
Hope I didn't offend you with anything I wrote. And, if you disagree with what I wrote then I guess you'll have to wait for the smart guys to come along.

In my case, he was 100% correct. I sabotaged myself for so many years because of my beliefs that I was a failure because I wasn't reaching my potential. His advice worked for me, and I'm a better person today because of it. 
Wishing you much Hatzlacha on you're journey! 

100% agreed.
Thats exactly what I’m saying.
Let me be clear: I’m NOT saying that we should have a “She’eefa” to become the Gadol Hador etc.

What I AM saying though, is that each person should have in his “Minds eye” a picture of who they (realistically) could be and should strive to get there.

I sometimes say “I am my greatest role model,”
What does that mean? Am I saying I’m a massive Baal Gaava?
No, what it means is that I look up to and aspire to be the person who I beleive I can become 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:31 #360580

• starting
  • Current streak: 5 days
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:27:

100% agreed.
Let me be clear: I’m NOT saying that we should have a “She’eefa” to become the Gadol Hador etc.

What I AM saying though, is that each person should have in his “Minds eye” a picture of who they (realistically) could be and should strive to get there.

No, what it means is that I look up to and aspire to be the person who I beleive I can become 

You are the greatest role model for many of us
The start of 'STARting' is 'star'. Just start and you're a star!!

'the cleaner I stay, the cleaner I stay' - AlexEliezer
העבר עיני מראות שוא, בדרכך חינו (תהלים קיט, לז)
PM me for my phone number

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:31 #360581

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
I am against negative pressure of any kind.
But I do very much believe in cultivating a culture which engenders and encourages guys to aspire to attain their personal potential.

Now, you can taana that it’s dangerous cuz people aren’t in touch with themselves enough to evaluate their potential.
And I hear the taana

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:35 #360583

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Growing up, my parents were mechanech me to always do my very best.
When I got a bad grade on a test they asked me if I did my best and if I said no then they would be abit upset but if I said honestly that I worked hard and got a bad grade that was OK!

And even when I didn’t try my best, my parents weren’t upset about the bad grade. They didn’t care about that.
They were only upset because I didn’t try my hardest.

I was taught from a young age, (and I plan on bezras Hashem being mechanech my children/talmidim in the future) that the barometer of success is EFFORT! is whether I am DOING MY BEST.

This is, chevra, what I mean when I refer to having a “She’eefa l’Gadlus,” it doesn’t mean a “She’eefa” for SOMEONE ELSE’s “Gadlus,” but rather a “She’eefa” for MY OWN PERSONAL “Gadlus.”
And it’s important that we train our children to be introspective and how to gage that...
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2021 06:31 by yeshivaguy.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:38 #360584

• neshamaincharge
  • Current streak: 3654 days
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:31:
I am against negative pressure of any kind.
But I do very much believe in cultivating a culture which engenders and encourages guys to aspire to attain their personal potential.

Now, you can taana that it’s dangerous cuz people aren’t in touch with themselves enough to evaluate their potential.
And I hear the taana

You've got to do what works for you, and it seems to be working. Keep at it! 
In my case, the constant perceived failure to reach my potential was crushing me. 
Hatzlacha! 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:39 #360586

• mggsbms
  • Platinum Boarder

100% agreed.

Just a reminder this all started for debate sake only... I will venture to say it's never about who we will "become", that's irelevent, it's about who we are, and working our character, learning Torah, and being duvik b'Hashem. 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:45 #360587

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:39:

100% agreed.

Just a reminder this all started for debate sake only... I will venture to say it's never about who we will "become", that's irelevent, it's about who we are, and working our character, learning Torah, and being duvik b'Hashem. 

Yes, practically it’s all about the present.
But I do beleive, and I beleive it’s the goal of the first perek in Mesilas Yesharim, that one should always maintain their “tachlis” in their “minds eye,” though yes, as far as day to day avoda, the ikur is the present.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:53 #360588

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:01:

starting wrote on 05 Jan 2021 04:56:

מתי מגיע מעשי למעשה אבותי
Sounds to me more like its about focusing on each individual מעשה,
it's not about results.
Of course we should try and always do the right things but that does not mean to become roshei yeshiva. The end result of one persons best could be detrimental for another guy who tries to emulate.

Guys guys, all I said was that I expect myself to go to Shachris. Don’t worry, I’m not chas vshalom (sarcasm) becoming a Rosh HaYeshiva anytime soon

And I think going to shachris, לפי where I’m holding, is a basic expectation.
And that’s ok. I have an expectation and I sometimes fail and I’m not super depressed or anything.
Because I know that I’m human and that failure is ok.
But I still have She’eefos l’Gadlus!
Will I sometimes fall short?
Of course!
But I still strive for greatness 
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2021 05:54 by yeshivaguy.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:56 #360589

• lou
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:53:

it's not about results.
Of course we should try and always do the right things but that does not mean to become roshei yeshiva. The end result of one persons best could be detrimental for another guy who tries to emulate.

Guys guys, all I said was that I expect myself to go to Shachris. Don’t worry, I’m not chas vshalom (sarcasm) becoming a Rosh HaYeshiva anytime soon

And that’s ok. I have an expectation and I sometimes fail and I’m not super depressed or anything.
Of course!

Not sure what time zone you are in,but perhaps going to sleep now would help with that particular sheifa.. Just sayin...

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 06:04 #360590

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Lou wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:56:

YeshivaGuy wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:53:

it's not about results.

Of course!

Not sure what time zone you are in,but perhaps going to sleep now would help with that particular sheifa.. Just sayin...

OMG! Sooo much pressure!! I can’t handle it ahh...
U mean as a frum Jew God actually expects me to go to Shachris and not spend all night on GYE?!
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2021 06:13 by yeshivaguy.
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes