Welcome, Guest

Is there such a thing as ``normal" addiction?
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there such a thing as ``normal" addiction? 522 Views

Is there such a thing as ``normal" addiction? 27 Jan 2014 08:55 #226980

• R76
  • Gold Boarder
I have many psychological problems -- such as moderate depression and almost total isolation. I have many other problems -- I am unemployed and I am dependent. I prefer not to discuss my family issues here.

Some addictions seem ``normal" or natural. Prior to '97 I loved seafood -- shrimps, oysters, lobster. I also loved KFC and commonly available beef jerky. Now I have survived 17 years without these foods (except one time in '04). I did not have an eating disorder and my eating habits seemed natural. But such food causes huge spiritual harm.

I am now away from my m. addiction for 116th day. I hope I can keep up, but it is much harder then abstaining from seafood. Some therapists thought that keeping some magazines and acting out two times a week is ``normal" -- but the spiritual harm is much much greater then that of non -- kosher food.

Re: Is there such a thing as ``normal 27 Jan 2014 18:10 #226992

• tryingtoshteig
  • Current streak: 115 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • תן חיוך, הכל לטובה
So what is your question?
"ויעזור ויגן ויושיע לכל החוסים בו ונאמר אמן" -- ArtScroll Gabbai's Handbook

Re: Is there such a thing as ``normal 27 Jan 2014 23:14 #227001

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
R76 wrote:
Some therapists thought that keeping some magazines and acting out two times a week is ``normal" -- but the spiritual harm is much much greater then that of non -- kosher food.
A "normal" person may be able to do that, but an addict cannot stop at 2 times a week. The "allergy" kicks in and the addict becomes obsessed. It takes over his mind and most of his waking (and sleeping) hours. This is regardless of the spiritual harm. An atheist who is an addict will have the same problem (minus the guilt of the "spiritual harm").

Re: Is there such a thing as ``normal 28 Jan 2014 01:41 #227025

• R76
  • Gold Boarder
gibbor120 wrote:
A "normal" person may be able to do that, but an addict cannot stop at 2 times a week. The "allergy" kicks in and the addict becomes obsessed. It takes over his mind and most of his waking (and sleeping) hours. This is regardless of the spiritual harm. An atheist who is an addict will have the same problem (minus the guilt of the "spiritual harm").

Definitely -- there are people with eating disorders who overeat. Few men have anorexia, but many are overweight. Nevertheless, a Jew who eats ``normal" amount of Kentucky Fried Chicken and seafood still experiences enormous spiritual harm. I do not miss these foods that much.

I hope I can keep away from m. addiction.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes