Welcome, Guest

Discussion about how to control ones urges
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Discussion about how to control ones urges 612 Views

Discussion about how to control ones urges 05 Nov 2012 07:35 #147210

• atzmosyosef
Hey all
I was wondering, that i know that one cant totally obliviate ones desires. But i was wondering , are there ways to control it ?

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 05 Nov 2012 09:44 #147213

• jewish jew
  • Platinum Boarder
Chaz"l say "העין רואה והלב חומד וכלי המעשה גומרים" (the eyes see, the heart desires and the tools do the job) which means that there is no such a thing as desires without seeing it first. A kid can't like a sweet unless he has tasted it before or the colors are attractive.
So my best advice as not to desire is by taking great care of your eyes. What to do about the thoughts that keep coming to mind from things that have already been seen is a hard long life process and will only get better with the time. But for the mean time don't let any new stuff in because you will have to battle with them in your thoughts later down the road.

Wishing you much success Yitzchok
The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it’s connection

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 05 Nov 2012 16:22 #147226

Welcome to GYE. That's what we're all here for - to learn how to control it. I suggest that you read the GYE handbook, which has much detail about this entire topic, with various approaches based on your level of 'addiction' or whatever you may be dealing with. Also, tell us more about yourself and your issues, so that you can find like-minded people who will offer you chizzuk and advice.

Bottom line, you're on the right track - help is on the way, be"H.

Hatzlacha

MT

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 05 Nov 2012 17:46 #147239

• Dov
  • Administrator
Dear atzmosyosef,

Do you mean control it so you can enjoy the sweetness of looking at a pretty gorl without having to masturbate later? Or do you mean never enjoying erotic stuff ever again?

What do you really mean by "control" it?

- Dov
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 06 Nov 2012 18:48 #147328

• jewish jew
  • Platinum Boarder
WOW!! Dov you are already on attack to a newbie?
But what you wrote is true with pinpoint accuracy and you make me feel like what I wrote two posts before is stupid.

Yitzchok
The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it’s connection

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 06 Nov 2012 19:28 #147333

• reallygettingthere
jewish wrote on 06 Nov 2012 18:48:

WOW!! Dov you are already on attack to a newbie?
But what you wrote is true with pinpoint accuracy and you make me feel like what I wrote two posts before is stupid.

Yitzchok

Dov isn't attacking, just looking to clarify.

Or perhaps letting the newbie know that we don't speak in any coded language here

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 06 Nov 2012 20:27 #147344

• mr. emunah
  • Current streak: 121 days
  • Platinum Boarder
dove does the hard medicine approach (hey that sounds like a apple product! App Roach!)

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 06 Nov 2012 20:54 #147348

• reallygettingthere
A doctor once told me that when you give an injection stick the needle in quickly. The slower you insert the needle, the more painful it will be.

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 06 Nov 2012 20:58 #147350

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
My kids' doctor tells them, "I'm going to stick the needle in now. If it hurts tell me and I'll take it right out"
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 06 Nov 2012 22:43 #147365

• reallygettingthere
Gevura wrote on 06 Nov 2012 20:58:

My kids' doctor tells them, "I'm going to stick the needle in now. If it hurts tell me and I'll take it right out"

that made me smile

Re: Discussion about how to control ones urges 07 Nov 2012 01:18 #147367

• Dov
  • Administrator
I don't mean to attack, and if you think that was rough, you should see old-timer AA's tear apart newbies in southern state meetings! "Oh, the humanity!"

Anyhow, atzmosyosef (great fake name!) raises a very important question that is on all our minds at one time or another. For me, his question was on my mind practically from the very first time I discovered how powerful and sweet erotica feels. I was desperate to figure out: are there ways to control it ?.

I was desperate to figure it out - for fifteen years! That's desperation? Yes, we all know it was.

So all I wanted to do for him was to offer an explanation for exactly why this big, desperate question bounced around in my mind for all those years unanswered! I wish someone put me out of my misery earlier, too. Nu - but where is the good fellow?
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes