Welcome, Guest
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Introduction 3906 Views

Re: Introduction 05 Jul 2012 19:10 #140945

So I've been clean pretty much had a nisayon yesterday figured 4th of july 11 pm the supermarket is probably totally clean by now. And what do you know I had a shemirat einayim test pretty tough. Don't underestimate pritzus. Lesson learned. Anyhow would love if someone responded to my post and gave me direction to DC phone conference I want to get involved with that before I go home for the summer. If I still feel a nisayon I'm going to ask my parents for help with a therapist for anxiety etc. With time I managed to accept the possibility that I might need it and ill have to ask my parents I don't think it'll go so bad. Current mental status: Optimistic. Being more real with myself since my last fall and seeing how I really can't do this on my own (albeit I still want to try to keep my anonymity as much as possible) also being real I see how without a show everything is more enjoyable. Ya I haven't prayed the entire shacharis for a while but the parts that I DO say aren't bc of some anxiety or guilt, its REAL and so much more enjoyable. Any tips on being more real would be greatly appreciated how do I stop wih approval seeking/pleasing. Also what are the parameters of "being nice" when is it approval how much do I have to worry about the other guys feelings? Bkitzur, where's the line I draw for my needs and others.
It always amazes me how when I sit down to actually write I imagine a one-two liner and it turns out to be a whole college thesis.
Please write back! Its like the guy who goes to give a high-five and no-one responds AKA leaving them hanging don't leave me hanging!! Please not me-oh-thehorror-!!!!!AHH!!!!!!
Ok in all seriousness that was exaggerated I'm just a little bored and I'm waiting for like EVER for a response. Ok that's enough from me for now

Re: Introduction 05 Jul 2012 20:44 #140956

I'm not a regular on the DC call, but I believe that the following is what you need to know (worked the last time I tried):
The call is Mon-Thu 12:00-1:00 pm EST
Dial 1-209-255-1000
When prompted, enter 637207#
That's it - you're on. You can introduce yourself, or (at first) just listen to how others participate.

Hatzlacha

MT

Re: Introduction 05 Jul 2012 22:09 #140968

Thank you very much. Now 12-1 est means like east coast of america time? Bc I have shiur exactly then. Is there an alternative time?

Re: Introduction 05 Jul 2012 22:28 #140971

1. Yes that's correct.
2. The following times are available.

8:30 AM EST (Steve)
12 PM EST (Duvid Chaim)
10:20 PM EST (Shlomo)

MT

Re: Introduction 05 Jul 2012 23:32 #140973

Thanks MT, I'm gonna try the 1020 one thanks for all the info. Exciting. What's the difference between who does it? All I've ever heard about was duvid chaim

Re: Introduction 06 Jul 2012 06:08 #140988

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Just keep going.
Mottel
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: Introduction 06 Jul 2012 13:14 #140997

Tushay

Re: Introduction 06 Jul 2012 16:12 #141008

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
JustKeepGoing wrote on 05 Jul 2012 19:10:

Being more real with myself since my last fall and seeing how I really can't do this on my own (albeit I still want to try to keep my anonymity as much as possible) also being real I see how without a show everything is more enjoyable. ..
Any tips on being more real would be greatly appreciated how do I stop wih approval seeking/pleasing. ...
Please write back! Its like the guy who goes to give a high-five and no-one responds AKA leaving them hanging don't leave me hanging!! Please not me-oh-thehorror-!!!!!AHH!!!!!!
Ok in all seriousness that was exaggerated I'm just a little bored and I'm waiting for like EVER for a response. Ok that's enough from me for now

well, I just wanted to give you a quick response, not to leave you hanging...
why would you think that virtual posters on an anonymous forum can teach you anything about being real?
Anyways, my point was "just keep making phonecalls, and reaching out to real people", in other words "j u s t k e e p g o i n g".
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Re: Introduction 06 Jul 2012 18:29 #141019

Thanks for not leaving me hanging! I try to be very honest when I post, and writing out my secret "secret" helped me tremendously. Its lead to more honesty in other areas and I'm finally ABLE to speak about it in "real-life"( )
Shbbat shalom Mottel!

Re: Introduction 11 Jul 2012 00:42 #141260

Update:

- I realize that I constantly seek attention and approval, its hard to write this, but I find myself contemplating how to write posts in my thread in a style that gets me the most attention and sympathy. I feel absolutely PATHETIC and rotten when I think like that, and it really traces back to being so self-absorbed and selfish which makes me feel gross. I also don't want to turn everyone here into my personal psycologist also and I don't like complaining all the time, that also makes me feel gross.
That's why I've been hesitant to post.

Now although I think the above is true I still have hope that with the phone conferences I can learn the tools to overcome this. I've been in touch and I'm really really really looking forward to them.

I finally told my friend everything, I told him about GYE, the forum, phone conferences.(I told one other friend before but we didn't go into such detail but we did make a 50$ deal so now I have cash on the line as well). That was yesterday, I was on a high the rest of the day, just so HAPPY that I told him I spoke to a person, you really can't beat the "human element" even though I still think the anonymity of being online helped me open up about it in the first place. It was a key first step. And I think speaking it over with my friend was key step numero dos.

So..
Thank you everyone! I finally feel like I'm taking steps to getting better outside of myself. And I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to everyone here for making that possible.

Some vorts!
- we kill the animal a person was with, for the honor of the person that was with it! Imagine that a guy who has sunk so low as to be chayav mita! The Torah ensures that he be respected. The guy who fell that far the Torah is still machshiv him. So practically for us, no matter how far we fall we should try and appreciate that we have value.

- A person that holds his amah when he goes to the bathroom its as if he was machriv the olam. Q. Why? Not EVERY time a guy holds it when he goes he'll come to wasting? So why make it like a rule , that a guy like this will be machriv the olam? A. Maybe, its not the problem that he's touching his amah when he goes the problem is, if hes doing that then he must not be afraid to fall/ he doesn't have fences. In THAT case its a lost cause and he will fall.

Also another brutal confession is that when I see all the encouragement for people that fell, saying don't worry, "its no big deal" I feel like hey maybe I can have another fall its no big deal ill "justkeepgoing"....! Keeping my count of days and not wanting to start over helps me with that but I'm just saying that that's what flutters through my mind sometimes.

And now that I just un-loaded my kishkes to all of you- Thanks for reading!

Re: Introduction 11 Jul 2012 18:15 #141321

• Newbi
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Senior Boarder
As your name says, just keep going, but make sure you know the direction ur heading in or else.....

This not wanting to really give up feeling I can relate to as well. But the truth is you DO want to give it up it's the yetzer hara that is putting words into ur mouth/mind that ur not sure if u really want to give it up. So tell yourself load and clear(not that everyone around you has to hear) that u do want to give it up, and that you WILL give it up, and you'll see it will become easier. I'm not saying this the Gemara already does,
"there is a small limb that if you feed it, it craves more. But if u starve it it dies down." so there u have STOP feeding it, stop lusting. Take action to stop, and with Hashem help it will get easier.

Re: Introduction 12 Jul 2012 17:41 #141395

• AlexEliezer
  • Platinum Boarder
JustKeepGoing wrote on 11 Jul 2012 00:42:

Also another brutal confession is that when I see all the encouragement for people that fell, saying don't worry, "its no big deal" I feel like hey maybe I can have another fall its no big deal ill "justkeepgoing"....! Keeping my count of days and not wanting to start over helps me with that but I'm just saying that that's what flutters through my mind sometimes.

It is a big deal when we fall. But b'dieved, what can we do but get back up. Wallowing in it just makes it worse.

The reason it's a big deal is because there comes a point where it does get easier to stay sober. Getting sober is very taxing, a huge, stressful mental effort. Then it gets easier, especially if we aren't sipping. But if we slip and fall, it resets the battle to super hard all over again. Sometimes that's my principle motivation not to fall. Getting sober was sooo hard. I don't ever want to go through that withdrawal again.

So stay sober, ok?

Re: Introduction 16 Jul 2012 13:56 #141694

Thank you Newbie and AlexEliezer
I said it out loud- "I don't want lust" several times and it helped. The main test is gonna be the summer for me right now I'm pretty sheltered.
I'm currently on the 4th step work writing out resentments etc. I have so much anger coming up its unbelievable, I don't usually feel such strong emotion, and if I do it'll play out as depression, I think that all the times I get depressed it comes from a deeper anger/frustration. Ex. Why didn't you speak up for yourself when person x made fun of you. And the anger turns inward I'm angry at myself and can't help myself or do anything about it so ill get depressed and that'll lead to acting out. Its the same depressed pathetic feeling that leads me to act out. This morning I was so angry I started getting anxiety during tefilla and walked out early. Please G-d I hope I can get rid of these feelings with the program.
I keep writing and writing resentments the list goes on and on. Is this normal?
I'm emotionally raw right now, on edge.
Thanks everyone I don't know where I would be without you, well depressed probably lol but other than that I don't know.

Re: Introduction 16 Jul 2012 15:29 #141721

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Are you working the steps with a sponsor*?
*sponsor is someone who is ahead of you in working the steps, has tangible sobriety, and has his experience to offer.
Baby steps.

Re: Introduction 16 Jul 2012 15:56 #141728

I'm part of one of the phone conferences, I haven't finished all the work yet and haven't been set up with a sponsor
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes