Welcome, Guest

Just a thought...
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just a thought... 2073 Views

Just a thought... 09 Jun 2014 15:37 #233091

• military613
  • Current streak: 19 days
  • Senior Boarder
When it says in Aleinu that the other nations bow down to 'emptiness and nothing', it makes sense to say that this referring to the new "G-ds" which the secular world seems to be idolising. In the torah it describes that the world bowed down to idols and false G-ds. Perhaps this doesn't mean' literal' idols, but rather what the other nations are obsessed with.

Then Aleinu carries on and says "However, we bow down to you before our G-d, our king, Hashem. Which shows that although there is so much attraction to go after these 'G-ds', it is a Jews obligation to stay firm and to not follow after everyone else like sheep. We need to stay strong with our principles.

Although the yetzer hora for idol worship has been diminished, maybe,that does not mean that there is no equivalent in todays society. It seems obscure to us that the generation 2000 years ago worship idols and find it so hard to stop, even after seeing G-d revealed clearly at Har Sinia. How was bowing down to idols something to be attracted to?

I feel that this is to show that in every generation, secular society makes their own G-ds, it is our duty not to make any other G-d ,apart from Hashem, our G-d.

Whether it is fantasising after women, being obsessed with watching sports. שֶׁהֵם מִשְׁתַּחֲוִים לְהֶבֶל וָרִיק this is all vanity and emptiness.

Maybe 2000 years ago when they were worshipping "idols" this could mean the G-ds of the other nations in that generation, not literal idols, but the worshipping the Egyptian culture.

We certainly know what the fake G-ds of our generation are. It even includes idolising foolish public figures and all channels of ways used to to escape from the world.

That's why we must turn to Hashem to save us from these fake G-ds so that we could serve the One REAL G-d with our fullest since Hashem is the G-d of the whole world and there is no other! כִּי יי הוּא הָאֱלֹהִים בַּשָּׁמַיִם מִמַּעַל וְעַל הָאָרֶץ מִתָּחַת. אֵין עוֹד .

I find that focusing on living life is more import that focussing on abstaining from falling. Who knows better how to live life than the creator of life Himself? Therefore, by turning to Hashem, all our problems melt away and we go from being slaves to free people!

Hope this gives you extra kavana when saying Aleinu
Last Edit: 10 Jun 2014 14:07 by military613.

Re: Just a thought... 09 Jun 2014 16:15 #233093

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Great, insightful and thought-provoking post, as usual, Milletry613! I completely agree, and am also amazed, sometimes, how much time, brainpower and spiritual energy people devote to such empty pursuits, or, new gods. Without HaShem, people find some very weird substitutes, often damaging their neshamas in the process.

And, lest I sound too didactic, I have fallen in this respect too. As an addict, my energies have been channeled into schmutz way too many times, and I know the sickening emptiness it leaves in your life.

So, like I said, great post, as usual.
0% Tolerance and 100% Self-Forgiveness.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: Just a thought... 09 Jun 2014 16:48 #233095

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
GEVALDIG!!!!!!

I have a few chassidish sayings to back all that up, but not for right now
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: Just a thought... 09 Jun 2014 17:04 #233096

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Yay, I love Chassidishe sayings... I look forward to them!
0% Tolerance and 100% Self-Forgiveness.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: Just a thought... 09 Jun 2014 18:01 #233107

• dd
  • Platinum Boarder
  • כל זמן שהנשמה בקרבי מודה אני לפניך
TalmidChaim wrote:
Yay, I love Chassidishe sayings... I look forward to them!

me too!!!!

lets go pidaini we want a farbraingen, and we will call TZ (to wherever he got lost) to bring the bottle of woodford!!!

Re: Just a thought... 10 Jun 2014 13:19 #233216

• military613
  • Current streak: 19 days
  • Senior Boarder
Pidaini
I have a few chassidish sayings to back all that up, but not for right now

If not now then when

Re: Just a thought... 10 Jun 2014 13:35 #233217

• shivisi
  • Current streak: 193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
milletry613 wrote:
This is simply a lesson not to make any other G-d ,apart from Hashem, your G-d. Whether it is fantasizing after women,...

Great vort! millettry 613

Maybe this can be hinted in the posuk we say in shema - "velo sasuru acharei levavchem veacharei eineiychem", and the Gemara gives the explanation as:Acharei levavchem - ze meenus (heresy), veacharei eiyneichem - zu Znus!
What is the connection between Znus and Meenus?
As you pointed out, sometimes it's Idols of stone, and sometimes it's Idolizing women etc.
Last Edit: 10 Jun 2014 13:39 by shivisi.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes