Welcome, Guest

Ode on Sobriety and Tu B'Av
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ode on Sobriety and Tu B'Av 1403 Views

Ode on Sobriety and Tu B'Av 05 Aug 2009 20:59 #10961

• tester613
  • Current streak: 286 days
  • Gold Boarder
I decided to post my Ode on Tu B'Av (Guard coined that name) here in the beis.  As many of you already know, I originally posted it in my thread as a tribute to my six months of sobriety.  But I figured we would benefit from it as a separate thread.  Each line corresponds to another aspect of tu b'av. If you need perush, please ask.

As I look into the grave to see if I am dead and then notice that I am still alive, I look up to heavens with joy and yell, “there is life! There is Hope! There is a future!”

As I finish burying my addiction, I pause to thank Hashem for not allowing my dark past from spoiling my life. I thank him, as well, for assisting me in finally burying my past, as I rid myself of this addiction.

As I I dance at the chasunah of a Benjemanite man and a daughter from another shevet, I realize that the past is gone and we are embarking on a new era.  The days of Sinah are behind us, and the days of Ahavah and Achvah are ahead of us.  I then turn inwards and contemplate that the yetzer hara has weak powers today because when there is achdus, there is no yetzer hara. 

As I continue to divert my eyes from all immodest material and strengthen myself day by day in the areas of kedusha, I look at my wife, contemplate true spiritual beauty and sigh with relief “Sheker hachein V’Hevel Hoyefei, etc…”  I turn inwards and realize that all peace in the world emanates from true and perfected shalom bayis. This is the secret to our ultimate victory.

As I walk through the streets with big heavy wooden ladders, I tell the enemy (the yetzer hara) not to worry; “these ladders are situated on the ground ( they are for gashmiyus)”.  I then laugh in my heart, because I tricked the yetzer hara, for he does not know, “these ladders can reach the heaven”. These ladders are for my mizbayach.

As I finish collecting all my firewood, I bring it close to my heart and declare “B’lvavi Mishkan Evne, in my heart I build a mishkan”.

As I sit lonely in my living room, waiting for my Beloved One to return, I suddenly hear a knock at the door and hear, “Kol Dodi Dofek” (It is my loved one knocking). Ellul is approaching.

As I stand trembling in awe, His holy messenger declares with a sign of great happiness, “Today we are building the Beis Hamikdash”.  The day of Happiness, is the day of the rebuilding of the Beis Hamikdash. My heart skips a beat.  Am I dreaming?

I then turn to my Creator in a moment of true dedication and state: “I am all yours.  I hereby sacrifice my entire life to you.”

What greater joy can there be.
Last Edit: by daddosh.

Re: Ode on Sobriety and Tu B'Av 06 Aug 2009 08:41 #11016

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!

I then turn to my Creator in a moment of true dedication and state: “I am all yours.  I hereby sacrifice my entire life to you.”

What greater joy can there be.

This Ode leaves me with a feeling of such deep longing.

May we all be zoche to LIVE life dedicated to Hashem.
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by nekudatovah6.

Re: Ode on Sobriety and Tu B'Av 06 Aug 2009 12:35 #11035

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Each line corresponds to another aspect of tu b'av.

OMG. I noticed yesterday that a few of lines corresponded to Tu Be'Av, but I didn't know they all did. Now that I re-read it, I am seeing a whole bunch of new things I didn't see before! WOW.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by Jewishjuice.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes