An Irrational Belief (IB) (Groundless,IllogicalBaseless)is:
  • Not True – It’s unrealistic, with no evidence to support it
  • Doesn’t make sense – Illogical
  • Harmful – It does not help us in the long run

A Rational Belief (RB) (Logical, intelligent) is:
  • True – Realistic and supported by evidence
  • Makes Sense – Logical
  • Helpful – Helps us get what I want in the long run

It helps to learn how to replace inaccurate, irrational beliefs with balanced rational beliefs. We can get to the more rational belief by turning the unhelpful irrational belief into a question and then answering it. The answer often provides a more balanced rational belief that can replace the inaccurate irrational one.

Ask yourself:
What are some of the inaccurate thoughts you’ve had when wanting to engage in an addictive activity?

Disputing Irrational Beliefs Examples
1. Urges are unbearable and I cannot stand them.
Q: Are urges unbearable?
A: No. Urges are unpleasant but they will not kill me, I can stand them and they are bearable.

2. Urges make me use.
Q: Do urges make me use?
A: No. Urges don’t make me use. I choose to use, so, I can choose not to.

3. I cannot cope without using.
Q: Can I cope without using?
A: Yes. My life is actually better when I’m not using. It may not always be easy, but I can cope just fine.

Exercise
Turn each example into a question and give it an answer.
  • I’m useless and worthless.
  • I’m a complete failure. I will always fail.
  • I’ll never be able to stop.
  • My partner is useless.
  • My partner doesn’t help. He/she wants me to fail.
  • Nothing good ever happens to me and it never will.
  • Life is unfair. I was born unlucky.
  • Life is terrible. It will never get better.

(Excerpts and based off the SMART Recovery Facilitator Handbook)

Re: Reframing the we we think 09 Feb 2020 23:18 #347258

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder

Any situation can be reframed from “I’ve got to …” (read: burdensome, painful, negative) to “I get to …” (read: privilege, opportunity, positive). The day will be filled with the same activities, but it can look entirely different.

There is a famous Chassidic saying, tracht gut vet zain gut, meaning “think good and it will be good.” This means that if we have faith in G‑d, He will do something positive for us. G‑d will channel that faith to actually bring the revealed goodness in our life. Think positively, and G‑d will ensure that you will receive a positive outcome.

On another level, “think good and it will be good” can mean if your mindset is positive—if you are thinking of your situation in terms of what you “get” to do, rather than what you have “got” to do—then your entire perspective and attitude will be positive. Rather than complaining about all the bad in your life, you will actually see how good your life really is!

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes