Welcome, Guest

How my Life has changed with sobriety
(0 viewing) 
This section will include threads that relate to the 12-step group support program.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How my Life has changed with sobriety 4766 Views

How my Life has changed with sobriety 01 Apr 2015 15:06 #251664

• Al Tisyaesh
  • Current streak: 18 days
  • Junior Boarder
When I look at myself in the mirror (yes thats something I can do these days) I no longer feel repulsed by what I see, I no longer see a guy with potential thats just wasting his life or doing so much damage to his friends and family that he cant bear to feel. I now see a guy that tries his hardest, works on changing himself on a daily basis. For the first time I look at myself and say “you may not be perfect BUT your trying, even if I fall its just so I am get up and carry on.”

I can now Feel. Until now feelings were too painful to deal with, so my addiction came about to get rid of them , or to soften them at least. By dulling the bad feelings I was also dulling the good feelings. I now wake up feeling happy for no reason other than feeling accomplished . There used to be these bouts of depression or anger that I could not explain which in itself made me feel different or weird . I could not explain it because I didn't know how to. Also now I have learnt to process negative feelings and accept it as I accept the positive feelings

Never could I ever connect to people weather it was because I felt different or because I never worthy enough to let myself have friends but ever since I have become sober , I don't fear the closeness of people , I am not scared of coming out my box, doing stuff that might make me vulnerable around those I used to seek their approval .

Every woman is not a sexual fantasy anymore, they are now not objects which I masturbate to, which in turn means I can actually talk to a girl without it being awkward, since they are people just like me.

Life is now bearable, I could even say enjoyable . I now know that you need the bad emotions just as you need the good emotions, they come hand in hand.

GOD......

It was always an entity I either was asking something from or apologizing to . There was a kind of “your in charge” connection and I have to do everything you say and I was always feeling guilty about my addiction so that never worked out really well. Now I have a much better connection, I know god gave me my disease because he wants me to grow from it and I have a more father son like connection. I speak to god a few times a day. I say THANK YOU, I feel him wherever I go , I tell myself before I do anything questionable, gods right here with me (honestly this causes me trouble when bad habits crop up).

The truth is that I feel like a different person, before I was a private non personal kinda guy that was very uncomfortable in his on skin, now I feel like a very different person who is much closer to being the ideal person I have always wanted to be and NOTHING is woth going back there for......
Don't ever give up on yourself,,, You can do it,

Re: How my Life has changed with sobriety 01 Apr 2015 16:11 #251671

• gye1962
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Senior Boarder
Sounds like you figured it out. nice job.
hope to one day be like you and pass this challenge that g_d put me and hope to make him proud of me one day.

Imirtze H

Re: How my Life has changed with sobriety 01 Apr 2015 20:00 #251699

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 745 days
What a beautiful post. I would like to share it in a chizuk e-mail...

But I'd just like to get some background please. How long have you been clean for, more or less? When did you discover GYE? And what methods did you use to get - and stay - clean? Where did you learn your new attitude to life? Was it on GYE, from the handbook, or from the 12-Step phone conferences? Was it from live groups? If so, how long have you been in these groups and/or on the phone conferences?
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: How my Life has changed with sobriety 03 Apr 2015 05:40 #251801

• Al Tisyaesh
  • Junior Boarder
Sure.
Ive been suffering from my addiction ever since i can remember and a friend mentioned GYE in passing so I decided to have a look. That was 5 months ago. I am now after 4 months of live groups and intense therapy coupled with a lot of scouring GYE forums , articles and shiurim and whatever i could get my hands upon. So far with great thanks to hashem and the GYE support i have been sober for close to four months bli ayin hara.

Re: How my Life has changed with sobriety 03 Apr 2015 05:47 #251802

• Al Tisyaesh
  • Junior Boarder
gye1962 wrote:
Sounds like you figured it out. nice job.
hope to one day be like you and pass this challenge that g_d put me and hope to make him proud of me one day.

Imirtze H

Thank you for your kind words... I wish I had it figured out, I'm just taking baby steps in the direction of a better life and wanted to share some thoughts and experiences I felt on the way so they can help others.
I wish you the best in all you do

Al

Re: How my Life has changed with sobriety 21 Jun 2016 22:53 #290495

Thank you for sharing!
Your courage and determination to work on your self and to go all in is very admirable.
May G-d be with you Al Tisyaesh!

Re: How my Life has changed with sobriety 28 Jun 2016 18:31 #290925

• kelevshav
  • Junior Boarder
Al Tisyaesh wrote on 01 Apr 2015 15:06:
GOD......

It was always an entity I either was asking something from or apologizing to . .... Now I have a much better connection, I know god gave me my disease because he wants me to grow from it and I have a more father son like connection. I speak to god a few times a day. I say THANK YOU, I feel him wherever I go

WHAT A PARAGRAPH! I think I'm gonna print it out and put it in my wallet. Thank you, AT.

Re: How my Life has changed with sobriety 09 Dec 2016 00:24 #299497

• tzedekchaim
  • Current streak: 2239 days
  • Gold Boarder
Really beautiful. I can definitely relate to the not feeling in my own skin. Very well put, the whole picture.

Thank you for sharing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes