Welcome, Guest

GET A PHD IN GYEONICS
(0 viewing) 
This board is for the webmaster of GYE to make important announcements.

Feel free to comment UNDER the announcements, but new threads are not allowed in this board.

TOPIC: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 6213 Views

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 17:50 #40588

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
Rage ATM wrote on 31 Dec 2009 17:46:

yiddle2, may i remind you of attitude 14 of our handbook, no pain no gain. 14. “No pain no gain”
Naturally we go to what feels good and try to avoid pain. We got that from cows. Animals don't understand that a painful experience can be beneficial. Try to explain surgery to a cow. Pleasure
and suffering are both part of life. But we get to choose which pleasures we want and which
suffering we want. And the choice is either the false pleasure that the addiction offers us, or the pleasures that Hashem wants us to have – which are infinitely greater. Do we choose the pain of the spiritual “work-out” or the pain of the disease getting worse?
The Steipler points out in the first volume of Krayna D'igrisah that anyone who keeps away from
these forbidden pleasures is promised to receive the pleasures of life from other areas instead.
And conversely it follows, that those who accept upon themselves the suffering that breaking free entails, will save themselves much suffering in other areas of life.
If we decide, that no matter how painful it is we won’t give in - even if we feel like we are dying,
Hashem takes away the pain from us and it becomes much easier. See this amazing revelation
in Chizuk Email #420.

7up, you shouldnt be doing this to be a mod, afterall, helping others is a key component (#12) of our handbook. Helping Others
The last of the 20 steps to Teshuvah of Rabeinu Yona, and the last of the 12-Steps to breaking
free of addiction, both talk about helping others who are struggling with the same issues we
struggle/d with. As David Hamelech writes in Tehhilim 51 (the famous Kappitle of Teshuva after
the story of Bat Sheva): ”alamda poshim dirachecha, vechataim eilecha yashuvu – I shall
teach sinners your ways, and sinners to you will return”. But this is not just about Teshuvah, and it’s not even just about helping others. This is about our
own personal recovery. There is no better way to assure our own long term sobriety than to be
in constant contact with the GuardYourEyes community and to be helping others every day.
Whether it is by being an accountability partner or sponsor for someone else who is struggling, or
whether it is through posting on the forum, we are needed out there, and we need the others out there even more.
It is interesting to point out that the addicts of AA often found that if they did not make the purpose of their recovery to help others as well, they could do everything else in the 12-Step program, but
sooner or later they would lose sobriety. And the reasoning behind this is that if our whole
recovery is only self-serving, we can easily get confused with doing what we feel like doing,
which is also self-serving. However, if we are continuously thinking of others, it keeps us on the
right track as well.
And this is one of the secrets to understanding the importance of the Mitzva of "ve’ohavto le’reiecho kamocha - loving your fellow man as yourself" which Rabbi Akiva called a ”klal
gadol ba’Torah – a great cornerstone of the Torah”. When we are living for others and not just living a “self serving” existence, we can learn how to truly do the will of Hashem for His sake.
Indeed, Rav Chaim Volozhyn is quoted as saying (by his son in the hakdomo to Ruach Chaim on
Avos) that the entire purpose of our existence is to do for others.

:-[
But it must be fun to be a mod. Think of all that power to control the world... 8)

Rage, you really are special
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by radiantjaguar81.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 18:14 #40608

• theOne
  • Platinum Boarder
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D whenever i watch ur pics i gtta laff. they are sooo good. though u seem to be bored if u find time to find so many good pics....  :
Last Edit: by sprightlyhippo85.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 18:33 #40621

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Rage ATM wrote on 31 Dec 2009 17:46:

yiddle2, may i remind you of attitude 14 of our handbook, no pain no gain. 14. “No pain no gain”
Naturally we go to what feels good and try to avoid pain. We got that from cows. Animals don't understand that a painful experience can be beneficial. Try to explain surgery to a cow. Pleasure
and suffering are both part of life. But we get to choose which pleasures we want and which
suffering we want. And the choice is either the false pleasure that the addiction offers us, or the pleasures that Hashem wants us to have – which are infinitely greater. Do we choose the pain of the spiritual “work-out” or the pain of the disease getting worse?
The Steipler points out in the first volume of Krayna D'igrisah that anyone who keeps away from
these forbidden pleasures is promised to receive the pleasures of life from other areas instead.
And conversely it follows, that those who accept upon themselves the suffering that breaking free entails, will save themselves much suffering in other areas of life.
If we decide, that no matter how painful it is we won’t give in - even if we feel like we are dying,
Hashem takes away the pain from us and it becomes much easier. See this amazing revelation
in Chizuk Email #420.

7up, you shouldnt be doing this to be a mod, afterall, helping others is a key component (#12) of our handbook. Helping Others
The last of the 20 steps to Teshuvah of Rabeinu Yona, and the last of the 12-Steps to breaking
free of addiction, both talk about helping others who are struggling with the same issues we
struggle/d with. As David Hamelech writes in Tehhilim 51 (the famous Kappitle of Teshuva after
the story of Bat Sheva): ”alamda poshim dirachecha, vechataim eilecha yashuvu – I shall
teach sinners your ways, and sinners to you will return”. But this is not just about Teshuvah, and it’s not even just about helping others. This is about our
own personal recovery. There is no better way to assure our own long term sobriety than to be
in constant contact with the GuardYourEyes community and to be helping others every day.
Whether it is by being an accountability partner or sponsor for someone else who is struggling, or
whether it is through posting on the forum, we are needed out there, and we need the others out there even more.
It is interesting to point out that the addicts of AA often found that if they did not make the purpose of their recovery to help others as well, they could do everything else in the 12-Step program, but
sooner or later they would lose sobriety. And the reasoning behind this is that if our whole
recovery is only self-serving, we can easily get confused with doing what we feel like doing,
which is also self-serving. However, if we are continuously thinking of others, it keeps us on the
right track as well.
And this is one of the secrets to understanding the importance of the Mitzva of "ve’ohavto le’reiecho kamocha - loving your fellow man as yourself" which Rabbi Akiva called a ”klal
gadol ba’Torah – a great cornerstone of the Torah”. When we are living for others and not just living a “self serving” existence, we can learn how to truly do the will of Hashem for His sake.
Indeed, Rav Chaim Volozhyn is quoted as saying (by his son in the hakdomo to Ruach Chaim on
Avos) that the entire purpose of our existence is to do for others.

Rage - this is beautiful, but it's not at all your style (for one thing, all the words are spelled correctly! ).  Is it based on the handbooks, perhaps? 
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by hershy11211.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 19:01 #40642

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Rage ATM wrote on 31 Dec 2009 18:35:

waddya meen teh wrds r al spellde corrtly? muy spelings secnd 2 non...

Right. Second to none.
"None" is like, really bad spelling.
And second to none, is, well, even worse!!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009 19:04 by Gje2.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 19:03 #40644

• the.guard
BTW Rage, jokes aside, I don't mean being able to cut and paste parts of the handbooks, I mean being able to explain to people the yesodos therein - in your own RAGEY way!!

And of-course, to also be able to write "for more on this idea, I encourage you to see Tool #7 of the GYE handbook" 
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by Gje2.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 21:38 #40689

• the.guard
How does "second to none" mean what it means anyway?  ???
Last Edit: by Sorry12.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 22:20 #40712

• kedusha
  • Administrator
guardureyes wrote on 31 Dec 2009 21:38:

How does "second to none" mean what it means anyway?  ???

Not sure if you're serious - it means second to no one - i.e. not in second place when compared to anyone.
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by balancedlynx59.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 31 Dec 2009 22:34 #40716

• the.guard
oh  8)
Last Edit: by stuckinapit.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 01 Jan 2010 00:41 #40797

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok im willing to give it a shot. But only if i get a real certifacate. Na donly if i can erase posts. Thats my drive to this. i wanna start erasing posts. are we in for a deal guard?? eh??
Last Edit: by sprightlyzebra29.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 04 Jan 2010 07:43 #41686

• Avreich
  • Gold Boarder
guardureyes wrote on 31 Dec 2009 15:06:

We are scheduling a test on both handbooks for March 4th, 2010. That's in 3 months from now (right after Purim). And the Siman is: March Forth and help OTHERS. That's right, March 4th.

Dear Guard,
I know that this will probably sound crazy, but actually I personally think that this is a great idea. And there really should be some kind of a test.
That is an educational tool that has been known to work. Why not?  It's only for people who want it of course. I  cannot volunteer yet bec. I haven't read them well enough yet. (Yet...)

Last Edit: 05 Jan 2010 07:31 by jubilantfox01.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 04 Jan 2010 14:33 #41746

• the.guard
Yes, I'll try and prepare a real test... And a real certificate, honest.
Last Edit: by DeletedUser14440.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 04 Jan 2010 20:51 #41974

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
Count me out!
I hated school
Hated tests

Dont want to take any more till the final at 120!
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by resilienthippo66.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 04 Jan 2010 22:21 #42019

• kedusha
  • Administrator
I might be willing to audit the course . . .
Last Edit: by zackyt.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 04 Jan 2010 23:30 #42063

• the.guard
7Up wrote on 04 Jan 2010 20:51:

Count me out!
I hated school
Hated tests

Dont want to take any more till the final at 120!

Don't worry Mom, it will be a fun test with questions like, "what is your favorite drink?" 
Last Edit: by dreamydolphin69.

Re: GET A PHD IN GYEONICS 04 Jan 2010 23:32 #42064

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Or do you like sushi or ice cream.

And can you drive a truck while drinking woodford?

And do you wanna join rages revolution?

And do you understand " safah dovish" ?

Last Edit: by lookingforward13.
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes