Welcome, Guest

Mazal Tov! Who has presents?
(0 viewing) 
This board is for the webmaster of GYE to make important announcements.

Feel free to comment UNDER the announcements, but new threads are not allowed in this board.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 6896 Views

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 25 Feb 2009 21:44 #3310

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
THAT'S what I'm talking about. THANK YOU BORUCH!

May Hashem rejoice with all these precious gifts and bless everyone with Bracha ad bli dai!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 25 Feb 2009 22:14 #3311

• ano nymous
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Firefox with adblock plus is a great combination. That's what I install on any computer I use. I use Yahoo mail and it actually has some pretty bad ads, which adblock plus blocks. Boruch, what did you mean when you said "if firefox doesn't work". Are there sites you use that don't work on FF? In general, I have found FF to be far superior to IE.

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 26 Feb 2009 01:03 #3320

• Shomer
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Boruch ... I must agree w/ Anon here ... Firefox should work w/ 99% of sites.  FF passed the 20% market threshold and is the clear number 2 in the industry.  If you want IE as well, install the IE view extension.  Ad Block will probably not work on IE view sites, but when you need it, you will not even need to open up IE.

The majority of web savvy users will agree hands down that FF is simply a better browser.  There should be little hefseda yotza b'schoro here.

Thanks for clarifying Anon ...

If you asked me, I think that everyone here should be using firefox w/ AdBlock plus installed unless they have Jnet which blocks ads.  Ad Block plus will literally get rid of most banner ads and gives you the ability to filter images on an individual page as well.
Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009 01:27 by .

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 26 Feb 2009 05:33 #3325

• boruch
Ano Nymous wrote on 25 Feb 2009 22:14:

Firefox with adblock plus is a great combination. That's what I install on any computer I use. I use Yahoo mail and it actually has some pretty bad ads, which adblock plus blocks. Boruch, what did you mean when you said "if firefox doesn't work". Are there sites you use that don't work on FF? In general, I have found FF to be far superior to IE.

OK guys, you win. GUE just got an upgrade and an even better present. Again I am avoiding all she'eilos of Nedorim and everything is Bli Neder. I will up the commitment to ALWAYS use Firefox by default. If I have issues with the site in Firefox then, for business, finance or shopping sites with issues I will use IE View and for any others I will put up and shut up and not even use IE View.

To answer your question, I have found some banking and small business sites that either do not work well or do not work at all with Firefox. Additionally Microsoft sites such as Web Access for MS Exchange and even MS Office Live have some functionality missing. In the past when using FF I used the IE View Add On for such sites.  For some strange reason, though, unlike everyone else I have spoken to, I have always found/imagined FF to seem much slower than IE and so I predominantly used IE.

On several occasions, at Shomer's urging, I have decided to switch over to FF with IE view but it never happened. In order to make it real and in honor of GUE's son's bris I made a rule with no exceptions. If the site is for business, finance or shopping then I would be prepared to use IE if necessary if not for essential use then I would just make do. As above with your encouragement I am removing the IE icons from my system tray and Desktop and will only use IE within IE View and only then for business etc.

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 26 Feb 2009 05:49 #3326

• boruch
shomer wrote on 26 Feb 2009 01:03:

If you asked me, I think that everyone here should be using firefox w/ AdBlock plus installed unless they have Jnet which blocks ads.  Ad Block plus will literally get rid of most banner ads and gives you the ability to filter images on an individual page as well.

I added the AdBlock Plus Element Hiding Helper to be able to remove images and whole web page elements even quicker and more effectively. I also installed Blockz to be able to remove all image and flash content from a page by toggling a button.

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 26 Feb 2009 10:19 #3334

• Someone
  • Fresh Boarder
Mazel Tov! To honor your sons birth, I will not watch movies or the television (without other people) since this has led me to fall in the past. I wish you and your family a lot of happiness with this great event!!

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 26 Feb 2009 10:27 #3336

• Momo
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Mazal tov! May your son grow to Torah, Huppa and good deeds. May you get much naches from him and the rest of your family.

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 27 Feb 2009 15:22 #3369

• aaron4
Mazal Tov!  I didn't see this thread until the announcement in today's Chizuk e-mail.  The last few days I've been checking every few hours for the Chizuk e-mai, I think I'm addicted!

You should see a lot of Nachas from all your children.  Some other time, I would like to hear your thoughts on how to be mechanech children in the area of shmiras einayim.  How does one remove the stigma of the topic so that it can be addressed in a way that is not superficial?  I'm sure that many of us on the forum were instructed on the dangers of the street, to one degree on another, in our youth.  Yet those lessons did not take root and only through hard work as mature adults are we finally able to learn them for ourselves.

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 27 Feb 2009 15:25 #3370

• Avreich
  • Gold Boarder
Mazel Tov!

I would like to second all the brochos and copliments that have been posted here so far. I'm sure we all understand that you are just a liittle busy k"ah now.
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2009 22:12 by .

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 28 Feb 2009 11:10 #3375

Dear GUE,

Congratulations on your newly born son! I would like to thank you for all the help and advice you have given me, I really do appreciate it. Your work has made a difference to my life and to many others as well.

Any time that I feel tempted to sin in the future, I will think of you and your son.

God bless you and your family!

Take care and Mazel Tov!

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 01 Mar 2009 17:12 #3411

• PostalServicio
  • Gold Boarder
Reb Guard,

Mazal Tov! I wish you much hatzlacha with the new little one in your family. May he give you much nachas! I'm so happy for you and your wife!

My present?

Coming back to the forum, getting back on the wall, and participating more! 

Definitely missed it a lot!

I'm definitely jealous that your new son has you as a father!

Re: Mazal Tov! Who has presents? 01 Mar 2009 18:15 #3415

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Thank you very much Postal. I couldn't have asked for more  :D
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes