Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Zemmy's story 106987 Views

Re: Zemmy's story 05 May 2011 20:28 #105292

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Last Edit: by .

Re: Zemmy's story 05 May 2011 20:30 #105294

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Someone suggested I write;

Zemiros for Prez!!!!

What do you guys think, is it a good idea??

Re: Zemmy's story 05 May 2011 20:43 #105298

• heuni memass
who will help the co-worker?

Re: Zemmy's story 05 May 2011 20:57 #105301

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
as long as Trump doesn't ask for my birth certificate, giraffes don't usually get them
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 08 May 2011 03:54 #105406

ZemirosShabbos wrote on 05 May 2011 20:57:

as long as Trump doesn't ask for my birth certificate, giraffes don't usually get them

you just dont know the right giraffes. the ones that i know have them

Re: Zemmy's story 08 May 2011 14:11 #105425

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Zemmy, if you were prez, you would need a lot of tall limousines.

Re: Zemmy's story 12 May 2011 16:59 #105796

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 05 May 2011 20:24:

one of my co-workers was a having a problem with her computer and asked for assistance. she was unable to move anything around on her screen, only in horizontal or vertical straight lines. closing and re-opening the file did not help, as did restarting the computer. she called me back to see if i could come up with any other ideas. we then noticed that a stack of paper was lying on the very top edge of the keyboard and it was depressing the 'escape' button. moving the papers off the button restored complete functionality.

the message seems obvious.
living by constantly escaping paralyzes us

At the same time we can't lose sight of the fact that the computers do come with an escape button (which is a good thing so long as it's not overused). 

I just got away for a couple of days and when we were driving down my wife commented that she felt a little guilty that maybe she's too spoiled in that we go away.  One of our neighbors never goes away.  I assured her that she should not worry since such trips are a necessary part of being a good parent and for happy marriages.  Well after traveling 100 miles, we went out to eat that night and who was there, none other than another of my next door neighbors who was also getting away for the night.  Then on the way back we were listening to a CD from Rabbi Brezak on parenting and he was commenting on the need for taking a break.  He described how early on in his marriage he went to a certain chosheva "frum" rov on a Friday afternoon since he wanted to learn some geshmaka niggunim for his shabbos table.  He was quite surprised to see this Rov wearing an apron and serving his kids an erev shabbos meal.  He asked the Rov where his wife was.  To which the Rov responded, she's at the public library, she goes every Friday.  A surprised Rabbi Brezak asked the "frum" Rov, what's she doing there?  And the Rov responded in a hushed voice: "It's a library and you have to be very quiet, and my wife enjoys the quiet."  The point is, escape buttons are put there for a reason, but as ZS so eloquently put it, if you abuse them you are in for a problem.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Zemmy's story 12 May 2011 17:08 #105801

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Welcome Back!!!!!!!!

Re: Zemmy's story 12 May 2011 17:23 #105803

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
that's a great point reb UAJ! and welcome back

i was also away for 2 days (was that you in the Hawaiian shirt hawking Post-It notes in front of the museum? ) and had a similar discussion with my wife. she said that she is happy that our kids see that we go away periodically as it is important for a marriage to spend time together other than the serving cleaning disciplining and refereeing.

seems like vacation is like shabbos in a way. it's great fun and a good idea but the trick is to carry over the benefits into daily life.
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 12 May 2011 17:52 #105808

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
How often do you guys go for these mini-vacations?

How often is called 'periodically'?

Re: Zemmy's story 12 May 2011 18:02 #105810

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Yosef, in your case i think once as week is sufficient. sort of like showering.
just kidding

right now i go once a year, conditions permitting. but there are no rules about it. just do what works.
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 12 May 2011 18:39 #105813

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 12 May 2011 18:02:

Yosef, in your case i think once as week is sufficient. sort of like showering.
just kidding

A shower on Erev Shabbos should be enough.

HashemsSoldier wrote on 22 Dec 2010 02:28:

In the winter one can go days without showering go from erev shabbas to erev shabbas, what a kaavod for shabbas, the only shower one takes a weak is for shabbas..... gevaldik!!!!  ;D

Re: Zemmy's story 17 May 2011 15:23 #106156

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
The Bird, the Window and the Rov

This tale took place this week. In the local shul the windows are really high and wide. There are trees outside the windows and often birds come and sit on the branches. For the last few days a robin has been coming to the tree in front of the shul and after a few minutes it flies straight into the glass of the window, seemingly wanting to get in, not realizing that the glass is there.
What is surprising is that after flying into the glass and being brought to an abrupt halt it doesn't just fly away, it goes and sits on the tree, looking at the window. after a few moments it flies right back at the window, with the same results. It has done this dozens of times.
This morning someone had yartzeit and a few guys were sitting around eating and drinking lechaim. Someone mentioned the bird and how it keeps flying into the glass. I had thought to myself how this bird is teaching a lesson that addicts really need. Expecting different results to be caused by the same action is silly. Lust really will make me miserable, just like last time i tried it, even though this opportunity seems so geshmak and it really is not so bad and it will only be once etc.. Promising myself that this time i really really REALLY will stop will also probably only work as well as the last time i said that.
The Rov said that we should learn from the bird's persistence. He keeps on at it, even though he failed earlier attempts.
Of course someone also piped up that the bird is a gilgul and wants to come into shul.
Fox News would say: "we report, you decide"
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 17 May 2011 16:53 #106170

• heuni memass
ZS, that's what it's all about - learning from the creation around us. Amazing.

Re: Zemmy's story 17 May 2011 17:39 #106175

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 17 May 2011 15:23:
"we report, you decide"

Escape buttons, and window crashers, this moshul man is really really good.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes