Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Zemmy's story 106939 Views

Re: Zemmy's story 24 Jan 2011 22:17 #94287

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 24 Jan 2011 21:37:

i did not believe it myself for a long time

i would think "i could not have done anything wrong, i am so high and holy and my feelings are justified because my neighbor's pet cat looked at me crossly just yesterday"

i am high and holy, but not entirely. i have a body and a soul, or rather i *am* a soul in a body. my job is to try to keep the soul in the driver's seat. all too often the soul got kicked out and the body stole its identity and drove around town masquerading as a soul.

this is an important idea to live with. בכל יום ויום יצרו של אדם מתגבר עליו ומבקש להמיתו
the yetzer is an urge we feel to self-destruct. those urges should not be justified and rationalized just because they sprung up inside me. and they do not define me either. a person is made of of two polar opposites and a constant struggle and tension ensues.

i need to remember that it is 'normal' and expected that i have urges and desires to do things i shouldn't. it does not mean that i am damaged goods. the yetzer/urges are along for the ride. they were *put* there by the manufacturer.

the best thing is that the Manufacturer's warranty is great. we can keep going back to Him for repairs and roadside assistance.

Thank you.  I needed that. 

I like your style of mussar.  You post as if you are talking to yourself. You are afraid that if you post this in my own thread my feelings may be hurt.  ;D

It's OK. I got the message anyhow! 
Last Edit: by .

Re: Zemmy's story 24 Jan 2011 22:24 #94288

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
well, if you would have listened when i asked you keep your cat on a leash i wouldn't have had to resort to this type of public flogging...
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 24 Jan 2011 23:14 #94295

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder

i am high and holy

Zems, we agree but please have rachmonus on us all.  If you let the secret out.  No one will come visit our threads, they"ll all just be hanging out on your thread.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 13:46 #94337

• an honest mouse
  • Current streak: 15 days
  • Platinum Boarder
bardichev wrote on 24 Jan 2011 19:58:

Ok for all u american yankees that don't speak hungarian

There is no sucj thing as being a little bit pregnant

What it means is

That either you are or u are not

So mostly is mostly

my rebbe used to say 99% sure is 100% unsure!

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 15:37 #94353

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
ur-a-jew wrote on 24 Jan 2011 23:14:

i am high and holy

Zems, we agree but please have rachmonus on us all.  If you let the secret out.  No one will come visit our threads, they"ll all just be hanging out on your thread.

if we know where everyone will be hanging out then maybe Guard can sell ads on that thread
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 16:45 #94367

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Here are the ads.  ;D

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 16:50 #94371

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
the guy on the bottom should definitely not be climbing telephone poles barefoot
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 18:10 #94397

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
I think he heard you.

Looks like he's trying to put on his shoes.

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 18:17 #94399

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
some more ads?

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 18:29 #94401

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
all these ads are making me feel mostly kitchi allapotosh
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 18:58 #94404

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
have an idea i wonder if anyone can identify with.

i feel that i have come on a long journey (like everyone else). through life in its various forms and permutations, childhood, adolescence, getting married, having children, children growing and maturing into young adults. experience and living and learning are the greatest teacher. many things are clear to me now that many years ago would not have had traction in my mind.

often i see my children or other people who did not have the same experience seemingly repeating similar misconceptions or mistakes that i once had. i feel like trying to convey to them how the issue should be approached differently but at the same time i feel that the only reason i have the correct approach for the issue at hand is because i tried and failed numerous times until i reached a working balance. if someone would've come along before it was clear to me and tried to 'convert' me to the cause before i was convinced i probably would not have been open to the idea.

do i allow the school of hard knocks to do the job or do i try to be the school of soft voices?
experience or doctrine?

or maybe the middle road, meaning i try to give some guidance but ultimately the clincher might only be trying and failing? is this the secret of a good educator?

this is my pre-lunch musings for the day, if this benefits you please make a donation to GYE
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 19:05 #94405

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
"Why deprive your children of the valuable educational tool called Experience?" (Unknown)

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 19:09 #94406

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
On the other hand;

"Everyone learns from experience. A wise man from others', a fool only from his own." (Also Unknown)

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 19:13 #94407

• bardichev
zemms

u r reading too much mishpacha-bina

Re: Zemmy's story 25 Jan 2011 19:17 #94408

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Rav Hutner once said that one of the tactics of Amalek is to severe the chain of tradition from one generation to the next by making the younger generation feel sufficiently independent to disregard the older generation.
מלחמה לה' בעמלק מדור דור

maybe the focus should be on showing the younger generation how to be open to learning and accepting wisdom. probably best taught by example.
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes