Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not Working 1226 Views

Not Working 12 Jul 2010 15:42 #73747

• poshut yid
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Senior Boarder
I had all the intention in the world of getting on the board and starting my quest by Shabbos but I messed up again. Now I am faced with getting 3 days clean to get started. I am determined to do it and get to 30 days and build on that but I just cannot seem to get started. I have an added problem this week and that is my wife is away. Sometimes I am really good at controlling myself but the problem is when my yetzer tells me that this is my opportunity to "go all out" because I have some "freedom" and if I don't live it up I will regret it later!!
Any words of advise?

Poshut Yid
Last Edit: by .

Re: Not Working 12 Jul 2010 15:50 #73748

• installed
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey,

I had a real nisayon and opportunity to mess things up last week and I can generally say that I had weird "coincidences" since I started working on this issue (29 days). All I can say is that if you have the opportunity and if you overcome it, you'll feel much stronger. You will make a kal vachomer (if I gave it up when I had all the opportunities, I will definitely give it up when it is more difficult to act out). Now I'm not saying that it is good to face such a nisayon (we daven not to have them) and I have a filter on my computer for that reason but try to make the best out of it. Trust me, you will feel great if you overcome it!

Re: Not Working 12 Jul 2010 15:58 #73749

• Haleivi76
  • Current streak: 1126 days
  • Fresh Boarder
PY,

Firstly, you do not have to wait for 3 days clean to register for the 90 day program, only to feature on the wall, so don't delay, sign up now.

Secondly, I know that times when your wife is away are the toughest, and most tempting to act out at these times - 'when opportunity knocks'.

You must realise that at the times when the challenge is greatest are the times when we have the greatest potential for growth and change. Please take this the right way, but try to motivate yourself to be a mensch for yourself first and foremost. For this to work, really work, you need to want to change and want to be clean. You have to WANT it so bad it hurts. Your wife deserves you to respect her enough not to use her absence as an excuse. Imagine the scene in Shomayim after 120 when she watches ''the tape" and you try to explain how you used this time whilst she was not with you.

I'm sorry PY, I know I'm sounding harsh, but sometimes, especially at the beginning it is harsh truths we need to hear. Don't beat yourself up about it. You are here - that's a big step already. I would say to you reach out to all of us. Use GYE lots, read lots and post lots, although I see you are no longer a Newbie, so you must know how this site works. I would advise you to spend less time procrastinating and just start living. Go slow, one day at a time and you will see that they build up, a step at a time. Before you know it, you will have the 3 days you are looking for and more......

Share your thoughts and your experiences with all of us and you will find a lot of friendship, warmth and yes, some harsh truths as well. Do not get down about it, join us and start turning your life around from right now.

If you want to chat off-forum - PM me and I'll be happy to chat through some of this stuff with you.

Kol Tuv,

Haleivi 

Re: Not Working 12 Jul 2010 21:58 #73806

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, ask yourself a question - say you're sitting there, and you're tempted to go online, and fall. But you stand up, say "I'm not going to even deal with you!" and go for a walk, or a jog, or play an instrument, or read a good book, or...well, pretty much anything that gets you out of the area, out of that mindset.

Now, 2 hours pass, and you look back. Do you feel regretful, or proud of yourself?

Re: Not Working 13 Jul 2010 17:54 #73893

• Steve
  • Current streak: 5034 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
Hiya Poshut,

Wanna let you know they'll be a new Duvid Chaim Cruise ship starting soon, Monday, July 26. They'll be 2 time options, 8:30am-9:30am and again 12 noon-1:00pm. See my Journal in WOH for more info (yesterday). Maybe one of those times would work for you, if you're game.

Be well,

Steve
No one is so small that he can not give help, and no one is so big that he doesn't need it.

Kol HaOlam Kulo, Gesher Tzar Meod, V'HaIkkar: Lo L'Pacheid Klal.

Re: Not Working 13 Jul 2010 19:30 #73904

• poshut yid
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you Steve.
I appreciate the heads up. i started on the cruise last time round and went for about 6 weeks before giving up. Somewhere around the time we had become accountable to urselves and our past.

I am going to try again.
Shkoach!!

Re: Not Working 14 Jul 2010 08:10 #73939

• shmu2
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Fresh Boarder
poshut yid wrote on 12 Jul 2010 15:42:

if I don't live it up I will regret it later!!
Any words of advise?

Poshut Yid

Don't you really mean "if I DO live it up, I will regret it latter
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes