Welcome, Guest

You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 3483 Views

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 10 Jun 2010 03:35 #69797

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you - wisdom, as always!
Last Edit: by .

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 13 Jun 2010 22:33 #70373

• an honest mouse
  • Current streak: 27 days
  • Platinum Boarder
silentbattle wrote on 09 Jun 2010 23:57:

I've gotten this story via email chain letters several times. It was actually one of those that was kinda moving then, too. But now...now, it really speaks to me.

A cheerful girl with bouncy golden curls was almost five... 

What pale imitations are we holding onto that stops us from receiving Hashem's genuine treasures?

You made me cry yet again sb - how meaningful and fulfilling our lives can be if we direct our desires towards Hashem for a real connection!  :'( :-[

Last Edit: 13 Jun 2010 22:35 by .

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 14 Jun 2010 00:03 #70380

• teshuvahilaah
  • Current streak: 63 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Mazal Tov! Mazal Tov! Mazal Tov!

Another Mazal Tov! Thanks again for sharing this wonderful time with us. May G-d grant you and your Kallah a wonderful home. Amen!

That was a terrific story, by the way. We do often hold on to less, so afraid to lose it. When there is an incredible amount more, worlds more, just emunah v'bitachon away.

As Dov said, keep your eyes on the daily prize. Mazal Tov!

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 17 Jun 2010 19:58 #71209

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
And sometimes, we forget that there's something "real" out there...or we lose sight of the fact that the "real" thing is truly that much better, even when we know, deep down, that it really is.

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 03 Jul 2010 21:25 #72920

• BecomeHoly
  • Current streak: 28 days
  • Gold Boarder
Mazel Tov!! :-)

Maybe i should stop dating for nwo too.... :-/  what did you tell people - that you're taking a break from dating?? I've always felt that "taking a break" is usually an indicator of something wrong.... which it is... but do I want to publicize that??

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 06 Jul 2010 21:20 #73202

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Taking a break is definitely a good idea - I'd say "essential." At least, it was for me (see my earlier posts about my own break).

You can tell people you're taking a break to refocus. Dating can get tiring, and too many people (even those without "issues") can lose track, and get into a rut.

If you want to discuss further, you can contact me directly.

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 14 Jul 2010 08:43 #73942

• BecomeHoly
  • Gold Boarder
Ok... so I've done the following: I've basically put on hold any new shidduchim by saying I"m dating somebody.... so far only going out with those I've promised to go out with already - theres only 2 or three of those...

In any case, I've had 2 dates with someone and I'm enjoying myself... yet I'm a little unsure about attraction. I know this a touchy topic here, but I was wondering. What happened after your break - did you get less "picky?" (I'm not actually very picky - its just usually there is something else significant like hashkafa that gets in the way. When there isn't I become very torn - is the attraction really that important....).

In other words - you mentioned you are attracted strongly to your kallah. Can I expect that God will somehow work it out so that once I'm clean, whether or not I would be attracted at THIS point, at THAT point I WILL be attracted to whoever my bashert is?

Any insight is appreciated.
Last Edit: 14 Jul 2010 09:35 by .

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 14 Jul 2010 08:44 #73943

• BecomeHoly
  • Gold Boarder
oh and can you give me a link to ur previous posts about a break?

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 14 Jul 2010 12:39 #73964

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Mazel Tov!

...you mean by Rosh Hashana?

--Eye.

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 14 Jul 2010 14:42 #73975

• yehoshua1
  • Current streak: 1957 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Mazel Tov, what a blessing. Thank you for the story. Hashem has many pearls, this forum for one, your news and your struggle. I wish you Gl?ck! ;D

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 14 Jul 2010 16:44 #73991

• Steve
  • Current streak: 5034 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
Hi guys.

BH, since you're asking, my Rosh Yeshiva told me a long time ago that "attraction", while not the ikkar, is an important need in a marriage. This attraction grows into something much richer and more meaningful as it becomes more spiritually based (just in time, too, cuz even our own bodies tend to get older and not as in shape over time). But he said that Hashem puts it into the physical drives of a man for a purpose, to help him find the right woman, whom he will be excited about (in a good way) and proud to be marrying.

A nice anecdote: The younger sister of a friend of mine once asked my advice about a bochur she had gone out on shiddichim with a few times. She really liked him, and didn't want to lose such a good guy, but he had a nose like tucan, just a little rounder. She said "every time I look at him, all i see is his big nose! It really disturbs me, and i can't get over it." I told her the advice of my Rosh Yeshiva, and she said she'd think about it. A few weeks later, she called to tell me "I went out with him a few more times, and guess what? Each time, his nose got smaller!!!" They eventually married, and are EXTREMELY happy together, have quite a number of kids kneina hora, 2 dogs, and a lively life. (PS - when i met him, I saw it was true - but the more you got to know his shining personality, it became a non issue).

So I think that if one is going out with a young lady that has everything going for her but your physical preference, one should go out a few more times to see if the attraction can grow the more you get to really know them. And I think that we here at GYE are learning that our (working on keeping it "former") objectifying of women based on their body parts is the wrong focus in life. Don't judge their neshoma by the cloak it is wearing in this world. Getting that out of your head and looking less superficially at the person you're dating is VERY important. If it's meant to be, then the attraction will be found - necessary, but a bonus nonetheless.
No one is so small that he can not give help, and no one is so big that he doesn't need it.

Kol HaOlam Kulo, Gesher Tzar Meod, V'HaIkkar: Lo L'Pacheid Klal.

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 15 Jul 2010 07:09 #74150

• BecomeHoly
  • Gold Boarder
Reb Steve,

you make an excellent point. something that I have been trying to implement. However, what really tears me up is when I'm at the 5th or 6th date and instead of me being more used to/ attracted to her, certain things start to bother me even MORE! I never give up in the beginning, but I usually notice certain things that seem to get worse, not better, over time. And i'm torn between wasting her time while messing with her emotions and the fact that maybe I need much more time to clarify this type of thing for myself...  hopefully Hashem will help...

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 15 Jul 2010 21:55 #74308

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Honestly not sure where my posts about it are - sorry.

Here are a few thoughts as far as attraction. I'm basing this on my own experience, as well as what I've heard from my rabbeim, plus discussions with my therapist.

Physical attraction is important. It's not the most important thing, but it's still eseential. You can not get engaged or married, assuming that as time goes on, things will get better. That's not fair to you, or her.

As far as things getting worse as you go out longer...well, read the rest of the post, and I'll get back to that at the end, plus another warning.

However, if you're not sure, I think it's worth going out a bit longer.

Here's what I consider valid, and stinking thinking (I'll try to avoid any triggering phrases, and use non-triggering versions instead. You'll be able to figure out what I m,ean, and apply it to your own personal situation):

Valid: You want to be attracted to her. It doesn't have to be on the 1st date, but there should be an attraction. Not to be too crass, but you need to be able to enjoy being with this person.

Where the problem arises (call it the yetzer hora, Lust, the addiction, stinking thinking, etc) is as follows, at least for me: I don't think I'm the only one that has this issue, but I find there can be a big difference between what I'm attracted to, and the type of girl I've always imagined myself marrying. Sometimes it can be difficult to figure out where the line is - you could be dating someone that has a body type you've just never imagined yourself being under the chuppah with...and yet, maybe if you allowed yourself to, you'd be attracted to her.

Also, I found that there's another way that the yetzer hora tries to get you. He might say to you (though he speaks in your voice, of course) that she's lacking in a certain area. Maybe you really like blonde hair. And even if you're attracted to her, marrying her means that for the rest of your life, you're never going to be with a girl with blonde hair! And every blonde-haired girl that passes you on the street, you have to look away from!

That can be very difficult to accept. However, to my mind, that's pure stinking thinking. Ultimately, NO woman is perfect. Even the most perfect woman doesn't have every attribute, because it isn't possible. If she has blonde hair, that means she won't have black hair. If she's tall, then means she isn't short. You get the point. There will always be things that the girl you're marrying lacks. The only question is whether you notice them now, or later.

You get to decide whether you want to take this girl that you're attracted to, with all her lacks, and focus on her, making her the only woman in the world to you (as much as possible).

Now, returning to the fact that things get worse as you date more...there are a few possible reasons for that, and only you can figure out which one is at work. It could be that indeed, you're not atracted to her, and s you go out longer, you become more and more aware of that. Good!

It could be, though, 1) that as you date longer, the worries about the issues I mentioned above sit on your mind more, and that can me you focus on her lacks, or her issues - and everyone has features that are less perfect. 2) It could also be that as things get more real, and more possible, there might be a tendency to worry more about smaller things. Getting engaged/married is scary for everyone, and we want to marry someone with whom as much as possible will go smoothly.

News Flash - it isn't going to go smoothly. Life is bumpy, but hopefully good. Accept that now, you'll be a lot happier.

One final thought. If you push away the issues of physical attraction, you may find yourself nitpicking in other areas (i.e., hashkafa), because you're really worried - and maybe if you addressed those worries, it might turn out to be OK.'

And this might sound like kfira, but it's part of the reason you need a rebbe - not every minor hashkafic difference is a reason to say no. Talk it over with a rebbe.

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 15 Jul 2010 22:56 #74319

• BecomeHoly
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks SB for takign the time out of your busy schedule :-)

Ok so reading through your insight really helps :-)

Basically it seems I'm heading more or less in the right direction.

I really do put in an effort to not limit myself to one specific "what I imagined" (i.e. blonds). In fact, I almost got engaged to a girl that I preferred to be much thinner... I have only one thing I'm very particular about - a nice smile. I feel that is the MOST attractive part of a person. Which is in fact less so a physical thing than an emotional / approach to life type of thing.

In terms of things getting worse as we date longer - usually it some kind of feature / expression / ... that bothered me a little from our first meet, but over time bothered me more and more. I.E bad teeth. Or a kind of nervous expression. It's not the stinking thinkin.... although the fact that you pointed it out means i will be more diligent to make sure that is really the situation...

Lastly, b"h I don't have a fear of getting married. In the past, I had been the one to push for the relationship to move forward, so I'm assuming that's not the issue at hand...

B"H it seems Hashem has gifted me with a good approach to dating and be"h I will make the right choices.

Thanks!!

Re: You should really drop by and wish me mazal tov 18 Jul 2010 14:39 #74533

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, cool. Feel free to be in touch!
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes