Welcome, Guest

It starts with one
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: It starts with one 14666 Views

Re: It starts with one 13 Jul 2010 14:39 #73865

• oneday
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Chaim wrote on 13 Jul 2010 14:06:

.Maybe you could be especially careful during a limited time of the day, like atime when you KNOW that you are apt to fall.
I recently accepted on myself bli neder to be v. careful about any lusting from 6-8 pm - till rosh hashana - for the refuah of someone I know of.
This is a combination of Sur mera and Ase Tov.
what do you think?

Right now I'm just trying to get out of the house as much as I can and try not to think of this too much.
Last night I made a list of websites that I would be allowed on for today and I won't allow myself to go on any others. So far it has been working and I should be gone for the day and then I'm going to watch the All Star Game tonight. This is my first time 'planning' my day and I have only a limited number of websites to go on, so no google today! 
Last Edit: by .

Re: It starts with one 14 Jul 2010 03:58 #73932

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Well tonight was good as I kept myself busy and didn't fall like the last 3 nights! Bad thing is that I fell twice during the day. At least I'm going into tomorrow with a little bit of a victory of winning the night. You got to start somewhere and hopefully tonight was that time!

Re: It starts with one 15 Jul 2010 02:44 #74099

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Hashem helped me keep the y''h away all day and then at 9 tonight it all came crashing down. Unlike these past days, I didn't fall early but at the end of the day. I was so close today! Oh well. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I will be successful!

Re: It starts with one 15 Jul 2010 03:19 #74102

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
wow. what a gibbur you are. someone who can fall 7(000?) times and keep on ticking. you're gonna make it. definitely. wow.

Re: It starts with one 15 Jul 2010 16:20 #74206

• ChaimChaim
  • Expert Boarder
one day!
It sounds like you have a plan!

How does it all come crashing down? What's it?
More importantly - how does it feel - just before the crash?
Keep strong!

Re: It starts with one 16 Jul 2010 02:38 #74344

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
So I fell twice today, but I have a new method that will b’ezras Hashem not give me the opportunity to fall! Starting today I have 5 minutes on the internet. This inhibits even most of the normal stuff that I do, but they say you sometimes have to make sacrifices and this is something that I surely could to prevent continuing a horrible sin! If I don’t fall, I’ll be allowed on 10 minutes tomorrow and so on. Each day clean equals 5 more minutes for the next day. I hope to do this until I get to 60 minutes and then will review and see what I should do next. If I fall, I lose 10 minutes for the next day. Hopefully this new method will bring out the good in me and can put this disastrous week behind. By having this disastrous week, I have finally thought of a system that might actually help me in winning, so this could be the best week in my battle! Who knows!
Also, the more I fall only makes me want to win even more. The day I quit this battle is the day that I die. I know I’ll win someday… just hope it’s soon!
Also to the question about what I think about before I fall is this. “You know you enjoy this… start your 90 days tomorrow just enjoy yourself one last time”. Hopefully the y’’h would be right this time… this is my last time and he won’t be able to use it against me anymore!
I hope that everyone here on gye has a Good Shabbos and everyone is successful in their own battle!

Re: It starts with one 16 Jul 2010 22:46 #74487

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Even with the system I’m not perfect. I fell, but didn’t see any actual p* only what you would see if you were at a beach or such, so at least it wasn’t a full fall, but nevertheless it was a fall as this caused me to do the other. Overall the system protected me from viewing the actual stuff so it didn’t fully fail! Tomorrow I have 0 minutes on the internet , so I should get day one in tomorrow!
Have a good Shabbos!

Re: It starts with one 20 Jul 2010 00:49 #74787

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Saturday: Check! clean!
Sunday: FALL FALL FALL
Tuesday: FALL FALL FALL
Wednesday: TBD

It's been pretty bad recently. My new system didn't full work, so  got rid of it. Truth be told, I only fell once in two days with it. I'm going to start the system again, but this time start with 30 minutes, so it will be more manageable. Hopefully I will be successful!

Re: It starts with one 21 Jul 2010 04:04 #74970

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Today= day one!
Something I just realized is that the reason today was easy was because as soon as I told my y''h 'no not today it's tisha ba'v!" he would leave me alone. Hashem saw that I took the first step by saying no and Hashem finished it off!
With the 'system' I created last week, I'm going to get rid of it. I need to start living life and constantly worrying about this isn't going to help. When I go out and just 'live', I never have the issue. Hopefully I will start living and just tell the y''h again 'no not today let me enjoy life and start living' and let Hashem let everything else fall into place the way it should be.
Again today is/was day one of... I don't care anymore. My goal isn't 90 anymore. Today, my goal was one and I was successful. Tomorrow, my goal will be two and I can reach myy goal again. 90 is far away and I think I've been trying so hard to get there, but totally forgetting about days 2-89 and was not taking it one day at a time.
Good luck to all!

Re: It starts with one 22 Jul 2010 03:47 #75036

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Well today I fell twice, but I'm pretty excited that Hashem gave me enough strength to stop and prevent a total third fall! Hashem helped me stop in the middle! Both falls came in a 1  hour timeframe, so the y''h got one hour (not a full hour), I got 23 . B'ezras Hashem tomorrow I will get 24 hours!

Re: It starts with one 23 Jul 2010 04:26 #75168

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
I might have lost today again twice, but the fire in me is growing and growing and I ain't goin' to give up. I have come too far just to say whatever. Before the sunlight begins to come it is the darkest. It might be dark now, but I'm still going to come every day and hope that I can see the early morning light!

Re: It starts with one 23 Jul 2010 06:59 #75181

• ToAdd
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey OneDay
It sounds like you're driving yourself crazy.
I personally don't think you're going to win by focusing on winning.

If I tell you not to think about your favourite song, the one with that catchy tune - Whatever you do, don't think about it, for one minute, no make it two minutes that you mustn’t think about that song, your favourite song, the one with the catchy tune.
I’m guessing you've now got that song stuck in your head. And the longer you think about getting it out your head, the longer it will stay.

It sounds like you’re trying to fight the Yetzer Hara face to face.
I don’t think anyone can win that way.

When do you fall more often? When you are busy with something you really enjoy or when you are bored, trying not to do the wrong thing?

Our bodies, the Yetzer Hara, really enjoys falling.
The trick is to have something else to do that is better than falling.
The problem is that there isn’t any physical pleasure available to us that’s better than falling.

Do you play chess or computer games?
This is like a game, but the enemy has a few more men than us and those men are stronger than our men.
So we have to beat him with strategy.
What are his strongest weapons? Pleasure, addiction.

First move: weaken his weapons, reduce the pleasure.
Make it uncomfortable for yourself, open the curtains, open the windows.

Move two: Give yourself some ammo, try the following:
Think of the worst day, the worst moment of your life. Close your eyes, remember that moment, remember the sounds, the sights, the pain.
Focus on it, make the pain worse in your mind, make the image bigger.
Now, if you feel an urge coming on, focus on this memory, focus on how bad it is. Tell yourself that this urge causes pain.
Did you know that you can actually break your organ, you can cause physical damage to yourself if you over-do it?

Move Three: Have a plan B.
When the enemy attacks with more powerful forces, flee to save yourself, to regroup.
You don’t actually have to beat him, you just have to survive the attack.
Do you currently have a plan B, something else to do when you feel an urge?
Keep a list of things that needs doing – for you it may be tidying your room, for me it may doing the laundry.
The more rewarding the job the better – think now of something you did in the past that made you happy – was it helping someone else?
When you feel an urge, go to plan B, do something useful.
Teach yourself to speed-read: How fast can you read a page of something, anything? Read it again, forcing yourself to do it faster.
Teach yourself to play chess – play yourself, thinking of every possible move you could make, thinking of better ways to win.
Do push-ups. I’m sure there are hundreds of things you can do that are fun and benefit you.

You are not alone in this game, I’m here too, on your side.
I want you to post some plan B ideas here – they may help other people too.
And every time you start slipping, I’m behind you, saying “Captain, The Enemy’s taken the bait, It’s time to shift to plan B!”

ToAdd.

Re: It starts with one 23 Jul 2010 08:09 #75182

• yehoshua1
  • Current streak: 1957 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Oneday, your good will is something divine. So divine that it made ToAdd write this beautiful post, that helped me today. Write more on those plans B please!

Re: It starts with one 23 Jul 2010 15:48 #75206

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
ToAdd wrote on 23 Jul 2010 06:59:

Hey OneDay
It sounds like you're driving yourself crazy.
I personally don't think you're going to win by focusing on winning.

I'm actually trying just to forget about it and just to live 'normally'. I thought I was doing that but maybe I wasnt...

If I tell you not to think about your favourite song, the one with that catchy tune - Whatever you do, don't think about it, for one minute, no make it two minutes that you mustn’t think about that song, your favourite song, the one with the catchy tune.
I’m guessing you've now got that song stuck in your head. And the longer you think about getting it out your head, the longer it will stay.

It sounds like you’re trying to fight the Yetzer Hara face to face.
I don’t think anyone can win that way.

That's the problem. I can be sitting at the computer fighting for 30 minutes and be successful and then when 'm exiting off I lose. I need to stop trying to fight it and instead just run!

When do you fall more often? When you are busy with something you really enjoy or when you are bored, trying not to do the wrong thing?

Whenever I have nothing to do... I will be going away next week for 3 days, so I can already look forward to that and Shabbos is coming up, so in the next few days I will be pretty busy.

Our bodies, the Yetzer Hara, really enjoys falling.
The trick is to have something else to do that is better than falling.
The problem is that there isn’t any physical pleasure available to us that’s better than falling.

I'm still young and my mind set doesn't tell me that it's something so pleasurable. I never m** (maybe twice ever) without an external source i.e. p***. Once the p*** is gone b'ezras Hashem the problem will be behind me!

Do you play chess or computer games?
This is like a game, but the enemy has a few more men than us and those men are stronger than our men.
So we have to beat him with strategy.
What are his strongest weapons? Pleasure, addiction.

Believe it or not I think right now it is boredom. His weapons are you have nothing better to do and this will past an hour.

First move: weaken his weapons, reduce the pleasure.
Make it uncomfortable for yourself, open the curtains, open the windows.

His big weapon is one site that k9 doesn't block. I have e-mailed the person with my code for it, but he hasn't responded. Once that site is blocked it will be a big blow for him!

Move two: Give yourself some ammo, try the following:
Think of the worst day, the worst moment of your life. Close your eyes, remember that moment, remember the sounds, the sights, the pain.
Focus on it, make the pain worse in your mind, make the image bigger.
Now, if you feel an urge coming on, focus on this memory, focus on how bad it is. Tell yourself that this urge causes pain.
Did you know that you can actually break your organ, you can cause physical damage to yourself if you over-do it?

Sometimes in the middle everything comes crashing down. I start thinking about how my time in jail will be for doing this because it is illegal for me not just spiritually but also regularly. I tell myself how am I supposed to get myself a wife in 10 years or whatever if they are never going to be as good as the ones I see online. This has been getting to me lately and sometimes it really takes a toll on me (in a positive way). The y''h is out of options when I reach this, so hopefully I can reach this more often!

Move Three: Have a plan B.
When the enemy attacks with more powerful forces, flee to save yourself, to regroup.
You don’t actually have to beat him, you just have to survive the attack.
Do you currently have a plan B, something else to do when you feel an urge?
Keep a list of things that needs doing – for you it may be tidying your room, for me it may doing the laundry.
The more rewarding the job the better – think now of something you did in the past that made you happy – was it helping someone else?
When you feel an urge, go to plan B, do something useful.
Teach yourself to speed-read: How fast can you read a page of something, anything? Read it again, forcing yourself to do it faster.
Teach yourself to play chess – play yourself, thinking of every possible move you could make, thinking of better ways to win.
Do push-ups. I’m sure there are hundreds of things you can do that are fun and benefit you.

I plan on just hanging out with my friends more and talking more with them. The less free time equals the less time y''h has to attack. Also when I have an urge, I think I should shut down the computer and not go on for like 15 minutes or such until the urge passes.

You are not alone in this game, I’m here too, on your side.
I want you to post some plan B ideas here – they may help other people too.
And every time you start slipping, I’m behind you, saying “Captain, The Enemy’s taken the bait, It’s time to shift to plan B!”

When I'm falling I sometimes even think about this website and I know that I will have to post if for everyone to see and I will not only be letting myself down, but all my other comrades who are in this fight with me!

ToAdd.

Thank you so much for all your help! It made me come back to the ABC's and b'ezras Hashem I now have the tools to be successful and do what the South failed. I don't need to win the battle I just can't lose!

Re: It starts with one 23 Jul 2010 15:49 #75208

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
yehoshua wrote on 23 Jul 2010 08:09:

Thank you Oneday, your good will is something divine. So divine that it made ToAdd write this beautiful post, that helped me today. Write more on those plans B please!

Plan B's are hard to think of! It is sometimes hard to think of Plan A! If I think of anything else, I will for sure post it on the thread!
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes