Welcome, Guest

It starts with one
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: It starts with one 14673 Views

Re: It starts with one 11 Oct 2010 02:35 #80161

• oneday
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Well today I took a step back. Though I might have placed what I need to truly win! I now have blocked the search engine which has allowed me to find ways through the filter. Now thats blocked and my car is fixed and now it is time to keep trucking and continue my journey!
Last Edit: by .

Re: It starts with one 12 Oct 2010 02:27 #80254

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Had a successful day today! Never really had the urge to fall! Hashem made it easy for me to get through today!

Re: It starts with one 12 Oct 2010 17:58 #80305

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
beautiful! keep up the good work
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: It starts with one 13 Oct 2010 02:49 #80354

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Another clean day!
Unlike yesterday where I virtually didn't have any desire to fall, today I did. When this thought came, I looked away from everything and thought for a second. Yesterday, Hashem made it easy for me just so I can get back on the right path. Today, Hashem is ready to start testing me again so I can make tikkunim and show how I have changed as a person. I also thought that it isn't my job to win, but to realize I am starting to slip and ask Hashem to do the rest which he did! Also the one day thing came in about focusing on today only.
I'm finally putting everything together!

Re: It starts with one 13 Oct 2010 09:57 #80367

• ToAdd
  • Platinum Boarder
Well done on those victories.

Can I suggest something?
When you sit infront of the computer, ask yourself "If I wasn't addicted to lust, what would I be doing, how would I behave right now".
Maybe think of someone that you believe does not have lust issues and ask yourself "If I was Chuck Norris, what would I be doing right now".

This may help change the mental image your brain is preparing for you and change it to a stronger, more positive one.

Please let me know how it goes.

ToAdd

Re: It starts with one 14 Oct 2010 03:51 #80433

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
ToAdd wrote on 13 Oct 2010 09:57:

Well done on those victories.

Can I suggest something?
When you sit infront of the computer, ask yourself "If I wasn't addicted to lust, what would I be doing, how would I behave right now".
Maybe think of someone that you believe does not have lust issues and ask yourself "If I was Chuck Norris, what would I be doing right now".

This may help change the mental image your brain is preparing for you and change it to a stronger, more positive one.

Please let me know how it goes.

ToAdd

Not sure if I am exactly getting at what you're trying to say, but here is what I think.  I have thought many times about what my life is now and what it could be. I realize once I become clean my life becomes clean and I can begin to enjoy it more and more!

Re: It starts with one 14 Oct 2010 03:54 #80435

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Today I fell once, but I picked myself right back up!
I believe the reason I fell today was because I let one of my fences down, by not following my time limit if alone.
After I fell I felt down, but quickly (5 minutes) I picked myself up and I'm ready to go again!
I realized how far I have come and these falls are becoming more spaced out and I am really 'winning' this battle. This was just a little pothole on my journey. No worries!

Re: It starts with one 14 Oct 2010 09:06 #80442

• ToAdd
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi,

What I am trying to say is that our mental image of ourselves is very powerful.
We can change the way we behave if we change our mental image of our self.
Lust’s biggest battlefield is our imagination – let’s conquer that territory from him.

If I constantly look at myself as someone who battles with lust, then I will be someone that constantly battles with lust.
If I look at myself as someone who does not lust, and have an image in my mind of how such a person behaves, then I can act and be like that person.

You’re probably too young to drive, but perhaps you ride a bicycle? If you are trying to avoid an obstacle, the worst thing you can do is focus on that obstacle – you will hit it. Rather, focus on a path around the obstacle and your mind will automatically steer your body and the bike in that direction.

So basically, trying to fight the wrong behaviour creates an image in our mind of that behaviour and we tend to follow that path.
If we picture who we want to be, we have a positive image we can follow. That way, we don’t actually fight the y”h, we just avoid him all together.

Lust isn’t a problem we can solve, it’s something that we should avoid buy doing something else, but we need something else to do.
At every minute of every day, we decide how we behave. We are always doing something.
Lust makes very strong images in our imagination and we follow those images. If we can replace those images with something better, then we will behave in a better way.

What I’m proposing is that we take control of our life. Who is in control of this body / bicycle / car / truck? Me or my yetzer hora?
Where am I going? Do I have a map, do I have an image of who I want to be at the end of this journey I call “today”?
The yetzer hora has a plan, he has an image, fresh in memory of what he wants – It’s a picture of me, lying in bed, regretting what I just did, and a whole map of how to get there.

Right now, I am imagining myself lying in bed tonight, happy that I won. There is no lust addict in that picture, it’s the perfect me.
Every web site I open, I am going to ask myself: “Is this the path to the perfect me, or is this the path to regret? – If I were a tzadik, would I visit this site?”
I don’t actually have to be perfect or a tzadik, but if I visualise how such a person behaves, then I can copy that behaviour and follow in his footsteps.

I hope this clarifies what I was getting at.

ToAdd

Re: It starts with one 14 Oct 2010 16:57 #80473

• Dov
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Sweet!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: It starts with one 15 Oct 2010 02:34 #80515

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
It definitely did help that post! Thanks for the time explaining further! I hope to use this strategy and the more strategies I use the easier it should be! 
Today I fell twice by the same thing which I fell by yesterday also. I'm going to block it on k9 when I get the password and hopefully this will be the last post of saying a loss! Then again, my focus is now at the current moment which I am clean and I have to be happy that I am not depressed and ready to continue on with my life as a 'normal' person and forget about this whole situation that I am in.

Re: It starts with one 18 Oct 2010 02:55 #80657

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
I fell. I thought I had a site blocked, but apparently not. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and a perfect day to start!

Re: It starts with one 18 Oct 2010 06:13 #80665

• ToAdd
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi,

I've pulled a few statements from some of your latest posts:

I think I have to try to keep myself busy and I should be good to go.

Well maybe my mindset of thinking these last two days were 'gimme days' and I wouldn't fall didn't really help.

The next two days I won't internet where I would have a chance to fall!

And the following post:
I'm back now and just had a good clean two days.

I have been falling through the means of facebook again

Day four done! Day FIVE!! here we come! Although I have been clean these past few days, I have been really busy and have not had as much time on my hands. I think that that is the reason by limiting free and computer time and Hashem has been helping me through these days!

I won't be home until late tomorrow so hopefully it will be enough to push me through!

And the following post:
There we go! Day one is in the books! Busy=clean!

I now have blocked the search engine which has allowed me to find ways through the filter.

I fell. I thought I had a site blocked, but apparently not.

There's a pattern there:
Rely on filter to block sites for you = fall
Facebook = fall
Stay away from computer = clean
Keep busy = clean.

In this world, effort = reward.

I hope I got this right: poseach es yadecha umasbiah l chol chai ratzon.
Possibly the most important line in all of psalms. It means that Hashem helps you fulfill your will.
If it's your will to fall, he will help you, If it's your will to stay clean, he will help you.

Repeating an action makes it part of your will. Thats why we have a chart.
The more times YOU say no to doing the wrong thing, the more it becomes part of your will, the more Hashem helps you.
I think you need to go cold turkey for a couple of days. Stay 100% away from the internet until the urge has subsided. I know it's not easy, but reward comes with effort.

The Ramchal said that to uproot a negative trait, a person must avoid that behaviour entirely for a period of time.

Do you really want to quit?

Re: It starts with one 19 Oct 2010 03:20 #80717

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow thanks for pulling that together!
Today I was busy and yup I was clean!
Tomorrow I should have even less time, so things are looking good again!
Plus in a month or so, I will be in Israel for about two weeks so that will be nice!

Re: It starts with one 20 Oct 2010 03:24 #80790

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
I was really busy again today and stayed clean again!

Re: It starts with one 22 Oct 2010 03:04 #80961

• oneday
  • Fresh Boarder
Been a rough day (fell twice)... I need to keep myself busy!
Have a good Shabbos!
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes