Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Bruce's Battle 29174 Views

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 04:00 #17489

• Dov
  • Administrator
Dear BW -
I relate to how you described the feeling of not hearing people and the attack you had of brick wall cranial convergence syndrome. Sorry about the circumstances, of course.
A thought that really meant a lot to me is this, and I am sorry about the crass terms:
I cannot go to the restroom for tomorrow, today.
There is really nothing we can do to stay sober for ninety days, a week, or for that matter: tomorrow. Because it is like every other bodily function. The only day I can go to the bathroom for is today. I can't go to the bathroom extra this evening so that I may be "off the hook" tomorrow! (can you tell I hate wasting time in the restroom?)
Well, there is one thing we can do that may set us at some advantage when tomorrow arrives: being sober today. And I'm serious, not glib nor trying to be poetic or cute. I'm dead serious.
It will be OK. No need to lose even a drop of faith, BW.
I can't say more right now.
Love you (all)
Dov
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by Racheltok.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 06:11 #17500

There are a lot of seconds in a day. When it gets impossibly hard, all it takes is for you to drop your guard for one stupid second. That's what I really need help with.
Last Edit: by meisme.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 07:15 #17502

• Rage AT Machine
bruce,
im sorry to hear about the fall, im glad to hear that youre still fighting...keep on keepin on, as a very wise man once said...if guard's promises are true, if we can fight through the ninty days, it will stop being a fight every second of every day...once the wiring in our brains gets redone, it WILL get easier...
Last Edit: by breakfreemk.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 13:24 #17527

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Bruce, you're an amazing guy. Keep truckin! You'll get there.

BTW. How many cumulative days clean do you have so far? A lot, I'll bet! That's gotta count for something, no? A lot of something.

Riddle of the day:

Dr. Dov says that BDS can lead to BWCCS

500 points.

Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: 13 Sep 2009 13:46 by Tryingtobegood3.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 13:40 #17531

• me3
  • Current streak: 97 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Brick wall (bruce wayne) cranial convergance syndrome.
Last Edit: by Tryingtobegood3.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 13:47 #17533

• the.guard
good me3! and the first part?
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by Kedusha247.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 14:49 #17539

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Bardichev Deficiency Syndrome!
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by josh1111.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 14:50 #17540

• me3
  • Current streak: 97 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Come on everybody knows about barditchiv defeciency syndrome
Last Edit: by ForGYRE.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 14:55 #17544

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
It was part of the riddle.
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by .

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 16:18 #17565

I was never good at riddles.

By my non-count (because I don't count) I have 71 cumulative days. But it took what, 4 falls to get there?
Last Edit: by Rg.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 17:32 #17586

• the.guard
Yes, Bardichev Deficiency Syndrome can lead to Brick wall (bruce wayne) cranial convergance syndrome. Gotta watch out for that.

500 points to Me3! (I can hear Kedusha saying "Me2!") 

Bruce, 71 days is amazing. That's over 100,000 minutes! And how many of those minutes were spent falling? 100 MAX? So that's 99,000 minutes clean! So who's winning here, eh?
Last Edit: by Emes13.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 19:15 #17604

• Cleareyes613
  • Current streak: 272 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Your single in your low 20s? What took you over 70 days was a weekend for me. Open your eyes to the results. I amazes me ppl with such great results can get so down.

Keep up the amazing work. We know its hard. Your name Bruce Wayne stands for pushing the human body to the limits. Your living up to your name.
Last Edit: by struggle within.

Re: Bruce's Battle 13 Sep 2009 19:34 #17607

cleareyes613 wrote on 13 Sep 2009 19:15:

What took you over 70 days was a weekend for me.

I'm not sure what that means.

And yes, I'm 22, so high Testosterone with a capital T.
Last Edit: by Test22222.

Re: Bruce's Battle 14 Sep 2009 16:43 #17790

• Dov
  • Administrator
BruceWayne wrote on 13 Sep 2009 06:11:
When it gets impossibly hard, all it takes is for you to drop your guard for one stupid second. That's what I really need help with.
I understand the dropping guard for a second business, but how do you tolerate living in an "impossibly hard" situation to begin with?
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it really, really is not the last drink that gets us in trouble, it's the first one. Maybe you know this, but - for me - putting it into action means one thing: pain. It just, plain, hurts to walk the other way and not take the "drink" after noticing something tantalizing, for example. For me, it feels like mourning a real loss, crazy as it may be to mourn over poison. But like I always need to remember, surrender and freedom from temptation ultimately has nothing whatever to do with goodness, intelligence, the Torah, G-d's Will, how I should be/could be, my potential, my neshoma, etc. Yes, being truly aware of those may prove useful tools, but for me and the addicts I know, they remain half-measures in the end. It eventually comes down to acceptance of my inability to successfully use lust and learning to live honestly with the implications. It grows out of a 1st step. And I do not believe that anyone who is not an addict can ever understand that pain w/o judging it or trying to analyze it (just as useless for me!). Exactly becoming an expert about all aspects of driving w/o getting into a car. Useless, really.
Oops, I got off point again - the question was how do things get bad first? I have almost no will-power, nor any real strength, and am more powerless today over lust than I ever was! I just can't afford for the fantasies to start, nor to take the second looks even though I may wish I could, much of the time. Admittedly, my early surrender mechanism took a while to engage...
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by Rocket.

Re: Bruce's Battle 15 Sep 2009 00:03 #17921

• TrYiNg
Thanks  dov. I had the same question, and you clarified it.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it really, really is not the last drink that gets us in trouble, it's the first one.
I have to keep this in mind. I think I'm gonna print out this post.
Bruce, I'm sorry to hear about your fall. (Ironic how it seems like it gets harder in Elul.) So happy to see you get back up. GBG!
Last Edit: by userbt.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes