Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Bruce's Battle 29166 Views

Re: Bruce's Battle 02 Aug 2009 02:20 #10336

Well, by my count I've racked up 40 days cumulatively. I guess it's a start.

Still had some after effects of the fall today. Still had some improper thoughts. Didn't even go to shul (see above).
Last Edit: by Shiadee.

Re: Bruce's Battle 02 Aug 2009 04:40 #10345

• Tomim2B
-- deleted --
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2010 13:44 by .

Re: Bruce's Battle 02 Aug 2009 06:08 #10353

• TrYiNg
I have decided to refrain from giving out anything that may be construed as "advice" until I actually finish all 90 days. Probably won't even give "chizuk" until then either. What right I have to do so until I make it?

Oh, bruce!! We're all struggling the same way. Every one of us has become wiser and stronger in the interim. This is not the time for false anuva. In your own words;

I also realized how much I have changed since then, only 2 months ago. Reading that thread, especially the original post, you can feel the pain, the anguish, the frustration, and the anger coming out of the screen at you. It's still there, but much less.
I still have a long way to go but it's encouraging to see the change.

Why not share it?

So, if I finish today, Tisha b'Av, that would make it Day One. Again.....again.
What does that mean?
I don't know, go ask a Kabbalist.

gr8 question. You answered it yourself.

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jordan 

Luv it.
Last Edit: by altashlicheini.

Re: Bruce's Battle 02 Aug 2009 13:30 #10380

• Dov
  • Administrator
Dear Bruce -
There have been many times I had the Y"H to ask Hashem to help me stay sober "till shabbos", for this month, for "this year", or even "forever", or just in a general way (loosely implying "forever"). Actually, the best insurance in the world for me to stay sober through to the end of my life is actually the only insurance there is: To do whatever it takes to stay sober today. So I never ask for help that will last through to tomorrow. Ever. I consider that a "tefilas shov" - a silly tefila. I am living with myself, Hashem, and everyone around me only today ("hayom") and, as He tells us in kriyas Shema today, "hayom" is His only concern.
So, enough speeches from me, and you know all our love and best wishes are with you, today. Your attitude is just plain awesome, I am only reflecting, not correcting. And yes, your thread is beautiful. Thanks.
Dov
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by rbg123456.

Re: Bruce's Battle 02 Aug 2009 13:38 #10382

• Noorah BAmram
  • Current streak: 3710 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Your perseverance is in itself  a great chizuk to me (and I'm sure to all on the forum) so please don't stop sharing

A hidden admirer

Noorah
[b]כי שבע יפול צדיק וקם[/b] 
A Tzadik is he who continues to  bounce back after he hits bottom, even a hundred times !!!!!Rav Don Segal Shlita
Last Edit: by tryer97.

Re: Bruce's Battle 02 Aug 2009 21:44 #10412

Had a slip last night.

It was CLOSE.

Too close. Barely got out of that one.
Last Edit: by A Yiddish hartz.

Re: Bruce's Battle 02 Aug 2009 21:55 #10413

• Tomim2B
-- deleted --
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2010 17:42 by .

Re: Bruce's Battle 03 Aug 2009 01:38 #10440

• TrYiNg
Congrats , bruce! Holding oneself back while starting to slip is an amazing & hard feat! Quote from the attitude handbook;

Even if we started to slip, we can achieve the greatest levels of Kedusha by stopping ourselves
from sliding further. (See Chizuk e-mail #355 on this page for a deeper explanation of this
important yesod). And the Sefarim also write that the Nachas Ruach we give to Hashem by
holding back even when we feel “we already blew it”, is even greater than when we successfully avoid the tests in the first place.

Ps- I do want more info on that therapist. Thanks
Last Edit: by oimanichomah.

Re: Bruce's Battle 03 Aug 2009 02:17 #10443

• Tev
Nice Going BRUCE!!! Never stop fighting, ur doing gr8 , u doing well gives Chizuk to the rest of us .

40 days is an amazing accomplishment Keep up the good work.

Last Edit: by tzedekchaim.

Re: Bruce's Battle 03 Aug 2009 22:01 #10581

• Dov
  • Administrator
We love you. That's about it, right there.

"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by Blahblah008.

Re: Bruce's Battle 04 Aug 2009 01:34 #10593

• Holy Yid
  • Current streak: 92 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep the mind engaged and the soul content
I started here recently and just fell. The enthusiasm you have toward fighting is a big source of inspiration for me.

It is possible that you are falling to give me inspiration to fight harder. Keep it up and know that the degree that you are trying is bringing others out of the dirt.
זכרני נא, זכרני נא, וחזקני נא אך הפעם הזה, הפעם הזה, האלקים, ואנקמה נקם אחת משתי עיני, מפלשתים
Last Edit: by beecause73.

Re: Bruce's Battle 04 Aug 2009 13:49 #10660

I'm still feeling the after-effects of that fall. Last night, I just lay there in the dark thinking about it a bit and then all of a sudden I became terrified. The fear was from the thought, the mental image of me going back to the way it was before I found this site. Perhaps it was an attack by the YH to entice me to sneak over to my computer (even though I have a filter). If so, I turned it around. Instead of listening or even thinking about it I just got really scared. I don't know where it came from. I literally shed tears at the thought and repeated to myself over and over "I don't want to go back, I don't want to go back....",  pretty much till I fell asleep. Don't know where that came from either. I mean, if somebody saw me they'd probably want to put me in an institution or something.

But I do know that I don't want to go back.

I just can't.
Last Edit: by yankala.

Re: Bruce's Battle 04 Aug 2009 14:11 #10663

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Well done, Bruce.

I also tell myself that I can't go back - I need to stay clean for my emotional equilibrium, and in order to be a proper husband and father.  Although you're not married yet, you need to stay clean in order to prepare yourself for your future wife and children.
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by Dovi F.

Re: Bruce's Battle 04 Aug 2009 17:10 #10692

• Dov
  • Administrator
We love you even more, BW.
The greatest thing the program did for me in the begining was quite simple:
They rocked me to sleep.
They reminded me that it'll be OK.
Just do the work you have to do and the help will come.
Dov
Last Edit: by .

Re: Bruce's Battle 05 Aug 2009 02:30 #10806

Slipped AGAIN.

Luckily I was able to stop before I went all out. It was close. Again.
The worst thing is that I was searching for something totally fine and then this other stuff which was not stopped by my filter came along with it.

Man, I HATE it when that happens.
I didn't stop right away. It was the oldest trick in the book. You know, the "well, it's not THAT bad, just click for yourself and see. It's not like it's actual p***. Come on....It even went through the filter....It's PG at worst*...what are you afraid of? It's fine....looks interesting...hey, you might even learn something....."

After about a minute or two of that I'm like "WAIT A MINUTE, I'M ON TO YOU! First it's this which is questionable at best, then what? I know what's next and I ain't fallin' for it!"
Nice try YH, but you need to get some new tricks  ;D

* Sad thing is it probably would count as PG these days.

IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN GO OUTSIDE OF MY ROOM (WHICH IS IN A BASEMENT FROM WHICH I CANNOT SEE THE STREET) WHERE I WON'T BE BOMBARDED BY THINGS I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SEE?

It's like when I was still pre-GUE, I wondered with disgust as I walked down the street,  why do the women who are like 500lbs and seven feet wide feel the need to "show some skin". I might have been an out-of-control addict but I had boundaries, people!. Well, now it's that same complaint but applying to ALL WOMEN. I can't leave my house to go pick up a gallon of milk without being assaulted.

And I think I have the answer. I think most of them don't even realize that they are showing a bit much. It's just the standard mode of dress for many people. Which means, of course, that when they want to "kick it up a notch" you're really in trouble.
I say this because I see like 11 and 12 year old girls walking around in the streets in super short shorts etc etc. No 11 year old girl picks those out and says "oooh, I'm gonna wear these cause then all the guys will really like it". Come on. You're eleven.

The point is that they don't dress this way on their own. Their mothers, who could use a bit more "cloth" in their "clothing", dress them that way. And on it goes. Not to mention the manufacturers of this stuff for freaking twelve year olds. It's a system that breeds promiscuity from before kids are even old enough to know what that word means.

I really don't think there's a single place where you can avoid it. Except maybe Afghanistan or something.

OK, ramble over.

Good night, folks.
Last Edit: by .
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes