Welcome, Guest

Chazak Amenu's climb
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Chazak Amenu's climb 14212 Views

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 07:49 #68846

• yehoshua1
  • Current streak: 1957 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey

just wanted to say, that i have also this procrastination problem. Hm, yes very much. But these thoughts that I read here are very helpfull to me, they give a warm feeling. Thanks!

You are right, it is time to let light shine in.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 11:21 #68852

• Chazak Amenu
  • Current streak: 378 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Its great to know someone else has a similar problem please give your feedback as well so we can both figure out how to stop it!

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 12:45 #68866

• yehoshua1
  • Platinum Boarder
Well like now, I would like to work, but I am having second thoughts. Maybe I can try that line: I can't afford procrastination. A thousand times is never enough.

A thousand times of what? I don't know, I understood that it means, that I have to really TRY and really WILL a thousand times and more. Just stop to focus a thousand times and more.

So, a thousand times is never enough. Here I go back to work.

Tell me, how do you fight it?

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 12:50 #68868

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
Thats the problem i don't fight it, it kills me every time! I am going to try and set a time where no matter what i have to start and if i don't i will have to punish myself in some way, and DovInIsrael said i should just take it 5 minutes at a time, also maccabee said that if i feel i am going into the cycle i should just say "hold up" stop all i am doing and think about where it will take me and just do that like wait a minute i am getting trapped.

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 13:25 #68871

• yehoshua1
  • Platinum Boarder
I tried to punish myself, but it didn't work. So... But probably from your own experience you know, that it doesn't work. Why not? Go figure, it's the same with horrible pictures, Briut is totally right on that one. I think.

The only thing that really worked for me was, that if I had to let's say clean the house or that I had to learn a bit, it would never be a problem if I were to do it for someone and with someone. If someone were near me, someone I trust and love, just in the same room it would do the trick. I would focus. I would feel safe and always have to feel a purpose to what I am doing.
But now, I am a 31 and my parents have passed away. Who should be in the room? So I try this method, just like you said, breath in and breath out, take a bit of a pause, focus and say, I can't go back, I can't afford to be afraid. Here goes my try. 
If it is really bad and that doesn't work, I come here and read, learn and read (which would be a pause longer than 5 min), which is what you do.

Hey man, just today! Don't afford the procrastination just for to day, today you can't afford it. Keep it real!

And thanks for sharing, this is the first time I get to talk about it. Thank you.

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 14:27 #68880

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
It is certainly not something people talk about which is why i am glad you said something, did you get my PM?

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 14:28 #68881

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
oh and genreally rewarding nor punishin works for me either i think the only reward is not ruining your life betraying peoples trust and so on.

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 17:10 #68904

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
to summarize my day, I read on Jamies thread he felt like he was going to fall, I ended up talking to him till 9:20 which is 20 minutes later than i wanted to start, but i still got some good work done almost finished with a math chapter that i have been working on for 3 or more days, but it was worth i to help a friend out. I also learned gemmara in the morning so that was good. I need to focus! I still would like peoples feedback on approaches to procrastination, telling parents (though it will probably wait a while till i absolutely need to or i get enough nerve) and any constructive criticism, thanks all and have a good Shabbos.

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 21:15 #68940

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Good Shabbos, good buddy.

You sound sorta down this week, but you'll recover. And your neshama will start shining so brightly that you'll have your own north star for navigation. And life will seem sweet again.

Really. Those of us who've known "down" also known the sweetness of finding "up" again. And I know there's a lot of us here -- it goes with the GYE territory I'm afraid.

Good Shabbos. - Doc

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 04 Jun 2010 21:45 #68943

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah I am already doing better today, Thank you a lot Briut and everyone else have a good Shabbos.

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 06 Jun 2010 02:50 #68964

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hope Shabbos was gevaldig.

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 06 Jun 2010 03:16 #68967

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
It was pretty "gevaldig" I got to read my history book and am more than half way through with it after procrastinating it for a while, which is great because now that i am aware i am focusing and trying to do the things i enjoy so i can feel accomplished. also I learned gammara, listened to a few shiurim so i feel accomplished and that always helps with the stuff this website helps me with though i was having trouble not fantasizing today but overcame it thank Hashem.

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 06 Jun 2010 21:57 #69134

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
today was pretty good, not smooth but good, when my internet went down, sorry Shlomo!, I started looking up "words" in the dictionary and so on but i did not take it further and stopped so i am glad i did not fall but other wise things going well, congratulations to Briut on reaching 90! and SB on getting engaged!

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 07 Jun 2010 06:12 #69212

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks - glad to hear about your good day!

Re: Chazak Amenu's climb 07 Jun 2010 07:17 #69217

• yehoshua1
  • Platinum Boarder

I read of your good success. Thank you for the good vibe. I am at work now and since I am alone in my office it is always a bit of a danger of procrastination, but it's a new and a new start. So I go: A thousand times is not enough to say:  I am doing my effort, help me Hashem.

Rock on!  ;D

Time to create page: 0.46 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes