Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Britt's Beyond 34245 Views

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 03 Oct 2010 17:42 #79394

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
I've seen it a lot around here lately, so I figured I'll ask: can someone spell out for me the acronym RID?
Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: by .

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 03 Oct 2010 19:50 #79397

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Restlessness, Irritability, and Discontent

It's actually part of the 12-step lingo.

--Eye.

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 04 Oct 2010 01:19 #79424

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Eye., amush:
I'm curious (out of my ignorance, of course):  is the d for distracted or discontent? 

RSVP. Thanks.

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 04 Oct 2010 06:30 #79439

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Discontent

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 05 Oct 2010 05:09 #79531

• briut
  • Platinum Boarder
Honesty = just fell. 
Brutal honesty = not sure I am ready to stand up again for another day or two. (I'll think about it in the morning.)

Totally brutal honesty = not as worried about it as you'd urge me to be  -- I think a little imperfection is likely to help me in the next chapter of this GYE work.

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 05 Oct 2010 05:16 #79532

• Dov
  • Administrator
Well, inasmuch as I have never heard of anyone falling as a direct result of being 'totally brutally honest', 'brutally honest', or even just 'honest', it sounds like whatever you are doing now is going to lead away from the problem and further into the soulution. (funny typo, there, no?)

Alei v'hatzlach!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 05 Oct 2010 05:35 #79534

• Sturggle
  • Current streak: 178 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm with Dov on this one. And who's urging you to do what? Worry? No good..., unless it leads to something constructive. Worry for the sake of it that will take me down? I think if anything I'd urge you not to be worried. And imperfection? Don't try too hard. After all, you are human. (And you might even be an addict. Shhh!!)

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 05 Oct 2010 06:44 #79538

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Discontent?

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 06 Oct 2010 02:50 #79669

• briut
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, so here's the 'fall' story and the lesson learned.

I haven't counted but it was about 210 days clean. The fall wasn't a sudden irresistible jump off a cliff. It was something I figured was likely to happen. I was just exhausted of making 'my' 'perfect' record such a heavy load to bear, I suppose. And I even had plans for it to happen. So, I fell.

But the truth is, I had planned a 3-4 day binge to really knock it "all" out of my system. And within a few hours, with plenty of free time for p* and m* and who knows what, I had this nice realization -- whether or not I fall is NOT my burden to carry. It's His. Perfection is not MY job in life, it's only _His_.

In facing off against very specific and actionable options to continue the fall, I suddenly said to myself, "look -- I want to remain connected to the RBS'O. This isn't helping. Walking away now could actually turn the last few hours of aveiros into a mitzvah, through a real tshuva mi'ahava. Just say no."

And I walked away. I mean, just walked away. Erased the (electronic souvenirs that could allow me to return). And through some very bizarre "coincidences" (hashg.pr.), my schedule got so twisted around that following through on the plans became impossible!

Yet, instead of feeling a loss (or even a se*ual frustration), I felt a calm. Because I had a huge dose of realization that I AM NOT IN CHARGE OF MY UNIVERSE. AND DON'T HAVE TO BE. AND THE WINNING VS LOSING THE BATTLE IS NOT MY CONCERN. And I was able to say -- v'taher libenu l'avdecha b'EMES. I'm only walking away from this because the RBS'O wants it this way.

I'm sure I'll have better words to share in a few days, but I wanted to document this to my thread while it's fresh in my mind.

Day 1.
Last Edit: 06 Oct 2010 02:55 by .

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 06 Oct 2010 04:44 #79679

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Sheva Yipol Tzaddik V'Kum. In order to risk higher sometimes we need to fall. Hatzlacha on the trek back up.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 06 Oct 2010 17:48 #79758

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Got the goosebumps while reading how you just walked away!!!
WOW!!!

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 06 Oct 2010 23:40 #79812

• Dov
  • Administrator
It's nice to be on the same type of journey that you are on....seeya!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 07 Oct 2010 00:35 #79815

• me3
  • Current streak: 97 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Stop making him into some type of hero, the guy fell for heaven's sake!

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 07 Oct 2010 00:44 #79817

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Many rishonim learn that Yosef was motzei zera too before he ran away from the wife of potiphar; and he had planned it as well.  Do you also question chazal's characterization of Yosef Hatzaddik he also "fell.". Yes there are differences but the point is we all fall at some point or another. Not all of us walk away in middle.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 07 Oct 2010 01:39 #79831

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
So I don't know if I'm reading this right but just after you wrote this it looks like you posted the most beautiful chizuk on my thread, helping me with my fall of a few days ago.  So what does THAT say about you.  That even dealing with some heavy stuff yourself, you've got time for others. 

Perfectionism.  yeah, like the saying goes, "Separated from G-d, playing G-d."  Briut wrote on 06 Oct 2010 02:50:

I felt a calm. Because I had a huge dose of realization that I AM NOT IN CHARGE OF MY UNIVERSE. AND DON'T HAVE TO BE.

Sounds like quite a burden you put down.  So we struggle.  Even a Gadol (in my eyes)like yourself.  We're all sneh, no?

Walked away and erased all the electronic souvenirs.  How could the RSO not love you.

Hey, Me3.  I'm not making him into a hero.  He was my hero long before he fell.
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010 01:47 by .
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes