Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Britt's Beyond 34234 Views

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 09 Apr 2010 02:53 #60504

• Dov
  • Administrator
shemirateinayim wrote on 07 Apr 2010 22:35:

Briut wrote on 07 Apr 2010 03:17:

Over yomtov, I had this image.....Somehow, for all these years I've kept the pipes working without leaks by wrapping more duct tape. The repairs don't meet code (Shulchan Orech) but they work. Somehow I'm now expected to replace all this crazy pipework with something new and streamlined and code-friendly.

OK so shutoff the water main in your house...located somewhere before it goes to the hot water boiler.   and now go buy a blowtorach from the home depot/lowes   ($25-) and mybe also the homeDepot do-it-yourself-book.

you will need to heat the pipes, and then apply sodder.   I have once seen it done with old pipes,   and they essentialy flooded the basement, untill all the piping emptied. and then then dryed it with a peice of chalah   (even if it gets stuck in there, it will eventualy wash through the blumbing without getting stuck!)     now heat the pipe till -realy hot- and move the flmae of the blowtorch tot he opposite sife if the pipe you are working on,   make shure you brushed gthe uotside and inside of the copper fittings with a 'burring' tool, and apply the solder.

The laws of the 'capilary effet' will suck th solder into the fitting, leaving you with a slight ring of solder on the outside. (hint: you can wipe the excess with a moist sponge, you don't need it on the outside only on the inside) .      tada a not-so-simple do it yourselfer....

hint: checkep the number of a good plumber b4 you start...just in-case things dont go "as planned"

hatzlacha...........   
BOB the builder     (hey if ssteve from blues clues had his issues...and the head clown for barnum and bailey watched child ---- , even bob can be an SA)             

Did anybody else actually read this? This guy is either incredible, or well...incredible. I think he is also serious!

Gut Shabbos....
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by .

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 09 Apr 2010 13:40 #60530

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Dov, No, I think SE isn't incredible in either sense. He just picked up on the fact that my overly-cerebral, highly-symbolic moshol-ized quotes weren't really "real" about the problem. At least, that's my take.

And it's a point well taken. (Have you ever noticed that I can be wordy and cerebral at times ?)  Thanks, SE.

But, in terms of looking for 'tools' before I can attempt a better 'fix,' my view of this imagery as of this morning is:

"stop searching.
start dancing.
take a little waltz around the room and celebrate the internal rain shower.
if i must dig under the pipes, maybe i'll find the pot of gold under my stove that they told me about in Warsaw (an old moshul; sorry).
celebrate.
above all, no giving in to yei'ush.
DANCE!!!"

Let's put that to music before I forget it.

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 09 Apr 2010 16:42 #60544

• Dov
  • Administrator
If you want something put to music, my friend, get thee to a bard-ery!

To bardy's pub! Away!!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 09 Apr 2010 18:36 #60556

• Steve
  • Current streak: 5034 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
dov wrote on 09 Apr 2010 02:53:

Over yomtov, I had this image.....Somehow, for all these years I've kept the pipes working without leaks by wrapping more duct tape. The repairs don't meet code (Shulchan Orech) but they work. Somehow I'm now expected to replace all this crazy pipework with something new and streamlined and code-friendly.

OK so shutoff the water main in your house...located somewhere before it goes to the hot water boiler.   and now go buy a blowtorach from the home depot/lowes   ($25-) and mybe also the homeDepot do-it-yourself-book.

you will need to heat the pipes, and then apply sodder.   I have once seen it done with old pipes,   and they essentialy flooded the basement, untill all the piping emptied. and then then dryed it with a peice of chalah   (even if it gets stuck in there, it will eventualy wash through the blumbing without getting stuck!)     now heat the pipe till -realy hot- and move the flmae of the blowtorch tot he opposite sife if the pipe you are working on,   make shure you brushed gthe uotside and inside of the copper fittings with a 'burring' tool, and apply the solder.

The laws of the 'capilary effet' will suck th solder into the fitting, leaving you with a slight ring of solder on the outside. (hint: you can wipe the excess with a moist sponge, you don't need it on the outside only on the inside) .      tada a not-so-simple do it yourselfer....

hint: checkep the number of a good plumber b4 you start...just in-case things dont go "as planned"

hatzlacha...........   
BOB the builder     (hey if ssteve from blues clues had his issues...and the head clown for barnum and bailey watched child ---- , even bob can be an SA)             

Did anybody else actually read this? This guy is either incredible, or well...incredible. I think he is also serious!

Gut Shabbos....

Well, this is ANOTHER Steve's opinion -

Before beginning any plumbing job, it's important to take out a book from the library that gives you a handy list of expletives, and examples of how to use them...

Oh, and you absolutely MUST adjust your pant's waist height in the back if you want that "professional" look... (i know, i'm a cheeky devil...)

Briut, I am constantly amazed at your posts, your insights, and your chizuk to others.

KUTGW?

(Kan U sTomach a Gallon of Woodford?)

No one is so small that he can not give help, and no one is so big that he doesn't need it.

Kol HaOlam Kulo, Gesher Tzar Meod, V'HaIkkar: Lo L'Pacheid Klal.

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 11 Apr 2010 14:28 #60641

• briut
  • Platinum Boarder
Steve wrote on 09 Apr 2010 18:36:
Before beginning any plumbing job, [...] you absolutely MUST adjust your pant's waist height in the back if you want that "professional" look... (i know, i'm a cheeky devil...)

Briut, I am constantly amazed at your posts, your insights, and your chizuk to others.

Steve: thanks. I've been thinking a lot lately about how to take these [bent] pipes and make them a little more [straight]. [You Brits who've read my back-story will understand more than the rest of us Yankers. Or was that, Yankees.]

I've got some good possibilities, but happily they don't involve adjusting my pants or anything. [grin]  Sof sof, I'm just trying to be a poshete Yid, trying to grow a little every day [in my mind and my middos, I mean].

But Steve, when you say 'amazed' at posts, insights, etc - I'm really baffled. I don't think it's just my insecurity that wonders what part of my rambling and random journal-writing could be offering any chizuk. If you let me know what you're even talking about, maybe I could help out the klal by focusing more on that kind of post. In the meantime, I've been assuming that I'm "whistling in the dark" except for the very occasional KOT attaboy post.  Like yours! For which I say, THANK YOU.

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 11 Apr 2010 15:50 #60659

• Dov
  • Administrator
Steve wrote on 09 Apr 2010 18:36:

dov wrote on 09 Apr 2010 02:53:

hatzlacha...........   

Gut Shabbos....

Well, this is ANOTHER Steve's opinion -

Before beginning any plumbing job, it's important to take out a book from the library that gives you a handy list of expletives, and examples of how to use them...

Oh, and you absolutely MUST adjust your pant's waist height in the back if you want that "professional" look... (i know, i'm a cheeky devil...)

KUTGW?

(Kan U sTomach a Gallon of Woodford?)

BTW...

How do plumbers get high?

Ready?

Plumber's Crack!

Sorry....hey, I think Briut's stuff (and yours, too Shteve) is amazing!

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 11 Apr 2010 22:14 #60696

• briut
  • Platinum Boarder
I haven't been counting any days toward 90 -- trying to take it one day at a time.

But at whatever day I'm on, I'm feeling "that" buzzing in my body. The generalized RID irritability and nervous tension and whatever that makes the YH say, "I know JUST how you can take care of this." Plus, of course, that other buzz that hits a little, er, lower.

And I don't feel like I have anything to fight back with. Maybe surrender becomes the only option, even without hitting bottom. Hmmnn.

Any hints, guys?

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 11 Apr 2010 23:30 #60710

• me3
  • Current streak: 97 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Go out and do something fun, but kosher fun.

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 11 Apr 2010 23:56 #60712

• briut
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmmnn.  But just this one little aveira and then I can go do tshuva tomorrow?  (Man, what am I even THINKING. This is just weird.)

I just put out a lifeline on 'about to fall.' Let's see who's monitoring. PM me and I can phone or PM or whatever.

PS, MeMeMe: didn't think I'd hear from YOU for another 3.5 days. Thx for checking in!

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 12 Apr 2010 01:25 #60731

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Typing out our thoughts is good - it lets us see just how ridiculous they are, sometimes!

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 12 Apr 2010 02:55 #60739

• briut
  • Platinum Boarder
Yesod sheb'gevura. Tonight's sefira count. As in, sexuality contained in strength. So THIS is the night I found an amazing urge to act out? What comedy! That Y'H has a great sense of humor.

I've been trying to think of some kabala or shvua or something that would make a temptation seem less tempting next time. I have an idea. What do you experts think?  Namely,
"Sure, I'd be HAPPY to act out! But I promised myself I'd lose 10 pounds before treating myself to a little fun. You wait right here, and I'll be back when I've lost 10 pounds and we can have a PARty!"

Sadly, I think I'd lose the ten pounds in no time, but happily I think I'd lose the urge to act out by the time I'm thinner. And I will have taken some weight off in the meantime!

Any wisdom somewhere behind such a crazy thought?

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 12 Apr 2010 03:08 #60742

• me3
  • Current streak: 97 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Certainly. Every second you can push off the yh is immeasurably important (Besides you could stand to lose a few pounds, anyway)

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 12 Apr 2010 03:13 #60743

• briut
  • Platinum Boarder
Could stand to lose a few pounds??

How would you know........... Wait, Me3, was that YOU in the hot tub that night? (I'm so bad with names, sometimes.)

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 12 Apr 2010 03:50 #60747

• Dov
  • Administrator
Maybe you have had too much plumber's crack....just kidding, it seems like a nice thought to me...but just a thought on your thought:

It seems to me that Yesod is not exactly sexuality, per se'. It's more like "connection", or "the ability to connect", no? See the sefer "Usfartem Lachem" (if you haven't already).
This would give nice context to the idea of bris haloshon and bris hama'or both being related to Yosef hatzadik and Yesod. Eating and speech are connectors. In the case of eating it is connecting me with kochos/kedusha in other objects (water, cows, apples, gefilte fishes, for example) that I am missing, and making them part of me. It also maintains the living connection between my guf and neshoma. Speech is the same idea, but for people - it connects people so one can complement the other via communication and maintains relationships through understanding each other (Da'as).
Sexuality does the same - it connects a man and a woman in order to complement/complete each other, and fosters a relationship (understanding - Da'as) with each other that can get scarily real. It breaks down all the barriers there are supposed to be between people - and that is very special: "Ein ish meis ella le'ishto, v'ein isha meisa ella l'ba'alah." The connection need never end. Real scary for Henny Youngmann types!

Of course, schmutz is all and only about rendering the barriers irrelevant: Total strangers. On a page that anyone can see. There is no developed connection, only the indicators of connection - only desire. It wields awesome power, yes - but it's not real "sexuality", in my book. And I always knew it while I was doing that, R"l.

For me, it also puts into a nice light the other big issues of Yosef hatzadik: Bitochon and mesiras nefesh.  Obviously, Bitachon is the truest emotional measure of one's connection to Hashem. Only if there is a true relationship is there Trust. Mesiras nefesh is the active measure of one's relationship with Hashem. If He is really my G-d, why would I hold anything back from Him? "Ani l'Dodi" because "Dodi Li!".

I love you, and hope that this megillah was not out of place. Just having some fun at 1149 at night....guteh nacht!

Re: La-Briut and Beyond! 12 Apr 2010 12:23 #60782

• dovinisrael
  • Gold Boarder
I am a nothing...with nothing to offer - other my friendship and regards..

HI.

Time to create page: 0.63 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes