Welcome, Guest

Momo II: Another try
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Momo II: Another try 54344 Views

Re: Momo II: Another try 03 Dec 2009 14:43 #31937

• jerusalemsexaddict
www.officeplayground.com/Pimp-My-Cubicle-P863.aspx

not sure exactly whats goin on over here...
Last Edit: by Positivevibe.

Re: Momo II: Another try 03 Dec 2009 15:04 #31942

• jerusalemsexaddict
Last Edit: by doingbetter.

Re: Momo II: Another try 03 Dec 2009 19:39 #32023

• stuart
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Gold Boarder
Tomim2B wrote on 03 Dec 2009 10:32:

... During that time I found that if I'd only be aware of how I'm using my time it would be easier for me to break away from my internet habits.

Here's what I did, and it may (or may not) be of help to you: Firstly, I downloaded a timer and set it to 15 minute intervals. Every time I'd use the internet, I'd start up the timer. Once it hit 15 minutes an alarm would sound and that would mean that it was time for me to get off the net and do something productive (in my case: eat, shower, daven, learn something, work, make a phone-call, or anything like that). In addition to this, I kept a spreadsheet open where I'd log my internet time and how I used the internet. Everything was on paper. Looking back at it at the end of the week, I'd notice that I'd be spending much less time on the internet (about a 3rd of the time) and that I'd be using it more productively. The solution for me was not to stop surfing. That would be more than I'd be able to handle. I just told myself that if I've got limited time on the internet it had better be productive. I wouldn't want to go over my alloted 15 minute time and have to pay a knas. It would be 15 minutes and a break away- which usually turned out to be much more than the time spent on the net.

I personally think that the reason we're able to spend so much time on the net, is because we zone out and lose awareness of the time. This "keeping track" should help tremendously in regard with that, and your time spent online will decrease on its own. One thing: In a work setting, I don't think a 15 minutes is a good idea. Start with a ratio of 85% work-time to 15% surfing-time (or something like that) and see how it goes. Play around with it till it works for you.

2B 

I think that's a great idea.  I find that I waste a lot of time viewing Kosher sites as well.  I would like to try the same.  Where do you get this timer to download?
Last Edit: by yossi29.

Re: Momo II: Another try 03 Dec 2009 21:57 #32067

• Tomim2B

I think that's a great idea.  I find that I waste a lot of time viewing Kosher sites as well.  I would like to try the same.  Where do you get this timer to download?

Thanks! I'm running a Mac, so I just went to the Apple site and browsed through their list of programs. I'd be glad to find something for PC that might work just as well. You're running a PC, aren't you?

2B
Last Edit: by a1234567.

Re: Momo II: Another try 04 Dec 2009 06:18 #32137

• kanesher
  • Platinum Boarder
Rage ATM wrote on 03 Dec 2009 15:10:

Uri wrote on 03 Dec 2009 14:38:

Do you work in an office? Are you contractually obliged to be at your desk from 8-4 (or similar)?
Ask To Cut Your Working Hours

8 to 4? and THEN cut your hours...where are these jobs? i want....

Buddy, you gotta come make Aliyah. Job here means 24-30 hours a week (unless you work for shabak or something) My bank is open from 8-12 and twice a week in the afternoon for two hours. The National Insurance agency is open every other day - until 1! Wrong hemisphere, man
Last Edit: by yosefkatz.

Re: Momo II: Another try 04 Dec 2009 10:22 #32187

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
Israel officially has a 6 day work week.
The Knesset was once debating the idea of reducing it to a 5 day work week.
I think it was Menachem Begin who stood up and said:

Regarding working 5 days a week;
First lets encourage Israelis to work a solid 4 days,
then we'll work it up to 5!

Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by alwayshappy.

Re: Momo II: Another try 04 Dec 2009 10:32 #32192

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Regarding working 5 days a week;
First lets encourage Israelis to work a solid 4 days,
then we'll work it up to 5!

Well at least someone had his head screwed on straight. The hours here are wacky. You never know when somethings open or not. Oh and they can always just put up a paper sign that says were closed. No reaason, just because.
Last Edit: by ChachamOvadiaYosef.

Re: Momo II: Another try 04 Dec 2009 13:24 #32338

• stuart
  • Gold Boarder
Tomim2B wrote on 03 Dec 2009 21:57:

Thanks! I'm running a Mac, so I just went to the Apple site and browsed through their list of programs. I'd be glad to find something for PC that might work just as well. You're running a PC, aren't you?

2B

Yes a PC, but not a mac.  Shkoyach!
Last Edit: by RowerMax1000.

Re: Momo II: Another try 06 Dec 2009 07:17 #32529

• Tomim2B
This is a browser based timer: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/. It should work for anyone, regardless if they're running a Mac or PC. When browsing, keep it open in a separate tab and you'll hear it chime.

G'luck,

2B
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2009 07:19 by saul myers.

Re: Momo II: Another try 06 Dec 2009 09:14 #32536

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
Hows life in Denmark Momo?
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by mrsruly.

Re: Momo II: Another try 06 Dec 2009 09:50 #32541

• Momo
  • Platinum Boarder
Life isn't so good.

I feel Rav S's approach isn't working for me. Sure it's nice that I focus on spending some quality time with my wife each day, and taking up music lessons, but I'm taking advantage of his "heter", and acting out every other day.

I just fell and I'm sick of this.

I'm thinking of not returning to Rav S (canceling my next apt.), and trying the 90 days again. Even if it causes me stess and I fall, at least I'll be trying not to act out, and I'll have a few good clean days. I see now that I shouldn't have minimized the 10, or even the 7 clean day streaks I've had.

I think it's more important for me to be tense and clean than "happy" and unclean.

Rav S thinks that if I'm happy I'll be clean naturally, but that isn't happening for me.

How can I ever face HaShem the way I'm living now, focusing on my happiness and not on my transgressions?

Your thoughts?
Last Edit: by machon3.

Re: Momo II: Another try 06 Dec 2009 10:01 #32542

• habib613
i think it takes time.
you've been going to him for how long? a month?
and you've been living in a rut for how many years?

so now you're going to quit a chance at happiness and fulfillment because it's not working right away?
because you feel uncomfortable listening to your doctor who's telling to you eat salt and sugar and oil all day because that's necessary to cure your disease?

if you're going to be miserable either way, you might as well stick with the new strategy.  The old one definitely didn't work.

just my two cents.

and personally, i'd rather you fall every day for a month and then never fall again than fall every week for the rest of your life and constantly be depressed about it.

what do you really think, momo?
Last Edit: by Gill.

Re: Momo II: Another try 06 Dec 2009 10:05 #32543

• habib613
oh, and about life not being so good-  :-\
life definitely has it's ups and downs. it's a down for me too right now. but just over the horizon there's a new day. and maybe it'll be better.
and i promise that there are going to be happy times too. even when life is completely miserable, you can always be sure that there's good somewhere.
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2009 10:07 by shloime9223.

Re: Momo II: Another try 06 Dec 2009 10:07 #32544

• Momo
  • Platinum Boarder
Habib, you bring really good points.

I am so confused.  ???

I've been going for 1.5 months.

On one hand, I'm a more relaxed person than I was. I'm more patient with my wife and kids and enjoy their company more. I don't feel depressed, just upset about wasting time and falling.
Yet I surf almost the entire day and act out ever other day.

On the other hand, I could fight, struggle, tense up, and rack up a string of clean days, fall, and try hard to not get depressed about it.

I don't know which approach HaShem wants?
Last Edit: by Baym .

Re: Momo II: Another try 06 Dec 2009 10:09 #32545

• habib613
didn't you say Hashem was out of the picture for now?

let me ask you a question-
which is more important, bein adam lechaveiro, or bin adam lamakom?
Last Edit: by hershym.
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes