Welcome, Guest

Starting my journey to 90 days
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Starting my journey to 90 days 10155 Views

Starting my journey to 90 days 25 Jan 2010 21:36 #48405

• aryehtahor
  • Current streak: 50 days
  • Gold Boarder
I have officially begun my 90 day journey. It started on January 19th so I am now on day 6. 84 days until I make it to the Wall of Honor! Will update this thread with my experiences periodically.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 25 Jan 2010 21:38 #48406

• Ineedhelp!!
  • Platinum Boarder
Great AT,

You will now become a regualr on the forum. This is key to success if you are not doing anything else. Speaking of which are you doing any meetings?

-Yiddle

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 25 Jan 2010 21:57 #48411

• aryehtahor
  • Gold Boarder
By meetings, do you mean a Sex Anonymous meeting, like the ones that are not Jewish and held in churches? I'm hesitant to take that step for obvious reasons, plus I don't have a car so I doubt I can get to one. But I am interested in joining a phone meeting. I just can't do Duvid Chaim's at 12 EST. But there seem to be others. Any recommendations?

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 25 Jan 2010 21:59 #48412

• sci1977
  • Current streak: 438 days
  • Platinum Boarder
aryehtahor welcome and good luck.  We are all here to help!!!  Just remember baby steps.

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 25 Jan 2010 22:39 #48431

• kollel guy
  • Current streak: 15 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I'll be seein you on the accountability group thread, but my derashos will be mainly here.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

The distance one must travel, and the height one must reach, mirror each other.

The main growth occurs when it's really dark.

A fall can be dealt with. Insisting to stay on the floor - less so.

(The following is generally NOT the case, but specifically for this topic it is.) Far more important than recognizing your strengths and how to utilize them, is recognizing your weaknesses and how to avoid them.

H-shem really loves you. And you can't know how much, because if you did - it would defeat the purpose of your being here.

We love you very much.

We hope you will love you very much.

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 25 Jan 2010 23:03 #48450

• aryehtahor
  • Gold Boarder
Wow, thank you Kollel Guy. I can cut the Ahavas Yisrael in here with a knife.

I am coming into this feeling very confident, almost invincible, because this community is so new and I feel unbreakable with all the chizuk that can be found here. But this is also a little worrying. As sci1977 said, baby steps. I need to go slowly but surely, not a flash in the pan. So I guess the only way to find out how this journey will go is to live it day by day.

Incidentally, I am in the midst of planning a physical journey also. I have a vacation coming up and want to do a 5 day hike in the wilderness and am completely psyched for this. For me, being alone in nature is totally spiritually uplifting and this will be the first multi-day hike I've ever done. I wonder how many of the lessons from this journey will transfer to that one, and vice-versa. One foot in front of the other...

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 25 Jan 2010 23:07 #48454

• aryehtahor
  • Gold Boarder
Hehe, maybe someone should start a new board for GYE addicts to help them stop reading the boards and get on with homework/learning/job etc. Just kidding!

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 06:44 #48533

• kollel guy
  • Current streak: 15 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Incidentally, I am in the midst of planning a physical journey also. I have a vacation coming up and want to do a 5 day hike in the wilderness and am completely psyched for this. For me, being alone in nature is totally spiritually uplifting and this will be the first multi-day hike I've ever done.
Oh boy am I jealous of you. I seriously wish I could do that.

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 13:43 #48560

• Momo
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
aryehtahor wrote on 25 Jan 2010 21:57:

By meetings, do you mean a Sex Anonymous meeting, like the ones that are not Jewish and held in churches? I'm hesitant to take that step for obvious reasons, plus I don't have a car so I doubt I can get to one. But I am interested in joining a phone meeting. I just can't do Duvid Chaim's at 12 EST. But there seem to be others. Any recommendations?

The SA meetings are endorsed by Rabbi A. Twersky, and they are not all held in churches. But, even if they are, you have a heter to go.
The 12 steps are not about religion, it's about building yourself from scratch.

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 13:54 #48564

• Ineedhelp!!
  • Platinum Boarder
aryehtahor wrote on 25 Jan 2010 21:57:

By meetings, do you mean a Sex Anonymous meeting, like the ones that are not Jewish and held in churches? I'm hesitant to take that step for obvious reasons,

Not obvious to me. Can you explain??

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 14:23 #48579

• onelife
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Gold Boarder
hi, aryetahor.
a little recomendation which i feel on myself:
as more as you be on that forum read and post and read as easy you gonna hit the 90.
you will see yourself starting to be addict to the forum  ;D ;D and to nothing else .

BEHAZLACHA !!

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 20:10 #48664

• aryehtahor
  • Gold Boarder
Yiddle,

I take back what I said. It's not that there will be goyim at the SA meetings, or that they may be in churches. I just don't feel that I need to take that step yet. I want to do my best to get to the 90 days, being involved in the forum and reading the GYE pamphlets. If none of this works, I will probably seek out an SA group.

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 20:14 #48666

• Ineedhelp!!
  • Platinum Boarder
aryehtahor wrote on 26 Jan 2010 20:10:

Yiddle,

I take back what I said. It's not that there will be goyim at the SA meetings, or that they may be in churches. I just don't feel that I need to take that step yet. I want to do my best to get to the 90 days, being involved in the forum and reading the GYE pamphlets. If none of this works, I will probably seek out an SA group.

I was not attacking you AT, I merely did not know why you were hesitant. Just curious thats all. 

Kol Tuv

-Yiddle

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 20:21 #48668

• aryehtahor
  • Gold Boarder
Just an update on the journey.

So far so good, at least with being clean. I woke up late, had to rush through shacharis and was late to class. When I start a day like that, I usually feel stressed out for a while after since there is a general feeling of not being in control. When I get overwhelmed with life, I think about how tenuous our lives really are, and our sanity, and how miraculous it is that for most of us, most of the time, Hashem gives us things that we can handle. The world is so big that if we start letting in a little more than usual of it into our consciousness, it is overwhelming, and if we block out too much, it is boring.

I have responsibilities and I'm pretty busy at the moment so I don't feel that I'm about to drop everything and look at p***. The riskiest time is when I don't have to do anything and I'm bored, or at least I don't have anything I *have* to do at that moment. But right now, classes are in full force and I have a lot of work to do.

Re: Starting my journey to 90 days 26 Jan 2010 20:45 #48674

• sci1977
  • Current streak: 438 days
  • Platinum Boarder
KUTGW!!!
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes