Welcome, Guest

Shlomo's Shlep to 90
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 18198 Views

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 10 Mar 2010 01:16 #57248

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
well, things are still going good today. no news=good news. i dont have any reflections or ideas today, but things are good.

day 2: still startin' strong.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 10 Mar 2010 16:51 #57366

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad to hear! That's not no news...that's wonderful news! Focus on growing - becoming the Shlomo that you can truly be!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 14 Mar 2010 20:12 #58103

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
long time, no post. but things are still good here. the past couple days have been good and i'm working harder and harder on shmiras einayim, especially while at school, the toughest place in my life. but everything's been solid thus far.

last night, it took me about an hour and a half to fall asleep (too long of a shabbos nap  :-\) and my y"h kept trying to push these thoughts into my mind. i tried just ignoring them but to no avail. so then i tried using a technique that i learned in the Tanya, essentially berating the y'h with insults and thinking about how lowly it is that he needs to try and attack me at such a time....but i guess those are his tactics....

well, i hope everyone else's shabbos went well.

day 7: snowball effect is getting things going.

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 14 Mar 2010 21:32 #58127

• Chazak Amenu
  • Current streak: 378 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I also took too long of a shabbos nap besides for email trouble but hey that is nature of the beast. keep strong! and more importantly "use the force"  ;D

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 15 Mar 2010 14:59 #58224

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad to hear that you're doing well - we should have a whole bunch of tools at our disposal to use against the y"h. It's good that you found the one that worked for you when you needed it!

Keep up your incredible work!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 15 Mar 2010 23:57 #58323

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
i feel like i've entered a vicious cycle. i can go increasingly longer stretches (though not much longer than a week), only to fall again into the hands of my y"h. right now, i'm not sure what to do. i've been on the forum for more than 2 months, i feel internal changes happening and i feel like every time that i fall, someone else has taken control. i feel like i've reached an impasse. i'm changing, but the results still arent coming.

i don't know where to go from here. in terms of more things that i could be doing, a few options jump out. As for joining SA or DC's Phone Group, my schedule with school simply doesn't allow for them. I think my biggest area for improvement is still with regards to time management. even with my filter and time constraints, i still manage to waste too much time on the computer. not that it impacts my homework or time with friends and family, it just takes away from my time studying torah, my sleep and my overall discipline. (the latter needing much, much work)

i am by no means giving up, as doing so would be comparable to suicide in my eyes. this struggle is worth it and heck, (not trying to be arrogant) i'm worth it. everyone who fights this battle is absolutely worth it.

as for tonight, i plan to redouble my efforts in terms of torah study and hopefully by studying torah at the same time every night in the same topic, this will be one way i can combat my lack of discipline and also get on the right path to fighting this y"h.

if anyone has any tips to get over the first weeks, please, please post a reply.
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2010 00:21 by .

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 16 Mar 2010 02:30 #58350

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
i deal with the same problems like way too much wasting time on the computer which impacts my studies, and time management but i am going to try writing what i should be doing every day at that specific time and stick to it and i can use some of the similar techniques that GYE says to abide by.

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 17 Mar 2010 00:07 #58508

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like chazak has a good idea - and as far as the computer, we've already discussed the idea of going on the computer to accomplish specific things only. It's like going to a store in a bad neighborhood; you might need to get something, but after you're done, you get out as soon as possible, because it's not a safe place.

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 21 Mar 2010 02:50 #59044

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
shavuah tov everyone.

shabbos went well here. i just started my spring break (two weeks  8)) so things were extra relaxed here. i'm now on day 5 and although i had a post-shabbos slip, i came here to end it so hopefully things will resume like normal.

with spring and allergies getting into full swing, i had a realization. i've heard analogies between this struggle and allergies before, but i think i've found one that really relates to me. my allergies arent terrible but basically, if i begin to itch my eyes, they just get worse and worse. if i itch 'em, they just get more itchy. seems oddly similar to the phrase "There is a small organ in a man, if you feed it - it is hungry, if you starve it - it is satiated". so i've been thinking about this concept more and more, and its making sense now in more than one area.

day 5: getting the ball rolling.

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 21 Mar 2010 15:38 #59095

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad to hear! Keep on rocking - being relaxed is great, just make sure to be careful with ll that extra time, and enjoy it in ways that will keep you smiling!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 24 Mar 2010 03:52 #59483

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
i fell. hard. the worst part about it is that when the thought entered my mind, i (or my y"h) thought that it wouldnt be so bad just to take a quick peek. once again, it proved to be wrong. this fall was somewhat due to complacency. chazak amenu and i were supposed to chat but we rescheduled, though i should've tried to chat, because it would have saved this fall.

but at least for the next week until pesach, i just need to buckle down. its my spring break now (including pesach) and with virtually no homework and tennis very late in the afternoon, i have fallen into my old trap of just being lazy. with my spare time, i'll do nothing. and when i want to go to bed, i figure that i can just take a nap tomorrow, so i stay up late just wasting my time doing nothing. again this deals with time management.  :-\

my tactic to fight failed time management? making schedules. it has been successful in the past but has fizzled out as my time management skills seemed to improve, only to dip back down. so now, i will simply make the schedules and maintain them.

i know that because this fall happened, it happened for a reason. i know now (more than ever) i need to work on time management and implement tactics to use my time effectively and hopefully this is the key to fighting this battle. in my life, i feel like aside from time management, i have taken virtually every precaution possible to fight this battle, aside from literally reprogramming my brain (though in a sense, i'm workin' on it). so now, if i keep fighting, with Hashems help, it is only a matter of time until the tide swings in my favor and i can begin to make this trek

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 24 Mar 2010 04:06 #59490

• Chazak Amenu
  • Platinum Boarder
Holy cow i feel so bad! you should have contacted me! I am so sorry! i don't even know what to say... we have to make a set time every night to chat no matter what even if there is nothing to say! (but to tell you the truth i am a pretty big talker!) PLEASE CONTACT ME we can figure out the best time to chat every night! speak to you very soon!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 25 Mar 2010 15:32 #59619

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
good morning/afternoon everyone.

things have been good for me since two days ago. yesterday went really well and today should go the same. tomorrow, i have my first varsity match in tennis so i'm really excited. and then on shabbos i'll be leining (its my bar mitzvah parsha), which i'm even more excited for.

hope all is well with everyone else and i hope pesach preparations are going well and stress-free.

day 2: looking to start strong.

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 25 Mar 2010 16:44 #59628

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Fantastic - Reading your thread always makes me smile! I'm glad to hear that you're up, moving forward, and making plans!

Keep it up!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 29 Mar 2010 04:21 #59906

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
back to report no news  . all's good here. a thought entered my mind today, as i was feeling a little uninspired and seemed to have lost some of that initial fire, but i just brushed it off and focused on spending some time with my parents and siblings. the leining went well (it was my bar mitzvah parsha) and it was an all around delightful shabbos. hopefully the same was true for everyone else.

with pesach at our doorstep, i wish everyone a Chag Kasher v'Sameach!

Day 5/6: no news is good news  .
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes