Welcome, Guest

Shlomo's Shlep to 90
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 18201 Views

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 12 Feb 2010 07:22 #52859

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Wish I had a brilliant suggestion...

I am glad that my advice helped for a little while. Remember, every second that we don't give in, is greater than we can possibly imagine!
Last Edit: by .

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 12 Feb 2010 12:51 #52882

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Shlomo change that  to this NOW!!!!

WHy look at your count?? Why not look at all that you accomplished the last few days!!!

And the one thing we need to learn from this, which i learned the hard way, is, that we con not whitenuckle it. It wont work. Its been proven over and over by so many here on this forum, that this wont work. We need to come up with a better plan.

Have a great shabbos and wishing you all the best and much hatzlacha!

It25

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 12 Feb 2010 19:24 #52945

• humanbeing
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
A Guten Shabbos Shlomo...You will prevail...You will!!!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 12 Feb 2010 19:54 #52956

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Have a great shabbos - enjoy it, and use the time to think about what you can do differently. Get back to us, and discuss!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 12 Feb 2010 21:33 #52985

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
thanks for the chizuk everyone. i'll go into Shabbos staying b'simcha (thanks to you all) and be back on Rosh Chodesh.

Good Shabbos one, Good Shabbos all!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 14 Feb 2010 00:24 #53023

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
Shavuah Tov everyone!

like you said SB, i used this shabbos to really think about my situation. and i found a couple things to be extremely useful.

first, i've noticed something about when i study mishnah. because its one of the first original texts of the torah shebaal peh that i've studied, i've noticed that when studying, it requires concentration and attention to detail that hasn't been necessary when reading a commentary on the Tanya or an article about the weekly parsha. and despite how mentally taxing it is to study, it is one of the most (if not the most) rewarding text that i have studied because i get so much out of it. from the simple learning techniques that i have used, i have realized (and seen in the past) that the effort put forth into learning something or struggling for something is greatly exceeded by what is given back. i think each of us has our own story to tell at least in terms of shemiras einayim when it comes to this topic.

i also just wanted to share a little section from the book Understanding the Tanya written R. Adin Steinsaltz that reads:
the first time a person commits a sin, he trembles to the depths of his being. But as he repeats his behavior, the offense appears less grave, and the shock grows less dire. The sense that he is harming himself, polluting and blemishing his soul, loses its power.

the quote reminded me of an idea that i heard in a shiur once by Rabbi Immanuel Shochet. the idea is that the first time we do something that is against our beliefs (the act given was smoking), we are sure that lightning will strike us dead. but when lightning doesn't strike, we feel as if you've gotten away with doing the act. We do feel remorse but if the simple act didnt scare us enough, typically it is only a matter of time before we repeat the act. The second time your do the act, we are also sure that lighting will strike, but again, when lightning doesnt strike, we feel we've gotten away with the act. once we've done the act for a third time, we're on the all-too-slippery slope of trying to break the new-found habit with little success.

after thinking about this concept, i've reached some conclusions. Now we've reached the point where enough is enough and we've decided to kick the habit and put all of our energy into doing so, and we are on the road to get back to that original purity and mindset (or as close as possible to it). Instead of just trudging down the long road alone, the greatest resource we have is each other and Hashem, and we've (figuratively and literally) jumped on the GUE bandwagon which carries us down this road as a community. the bandwagon/vehicle of GUE not only allows you to (hopefully) travel down the road faster, but it also allows you to connect and relate to others around you facing this problem. this is the benefit and amazing advantage of GUE and i thank Hashem literally every day for exposing me to this fantastic and holy site and group of people.

for those of you who read through this marathon of a post (and for stickin' with me throughout my journey thus far), i say todah rabah.

So now, i say Shavuah Tov and Have a great Rosh Chodesh Adar!!
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2010 01:12 by .

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 14 Feb 2010 00:40 #53032

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
???

What happened to the rest of your post?

I guess you mean to say that we kind of adjust...we get used to the aveirah, and accept it, a bit more each time we do it.

As far as studying mishnayos - absolutely. And gemara, even more so (you'll get there! ;D).

We can use this while we're walking in the street, to help stop our eyes and mind from wandering, and instead thinking in learning, mulling over a complicated topic. We can also use this as a way to refocus our mind when the y"h tries to convince us to go somewhere else...

Based on your revelations over shabbos, have you formulated a new plan, or an enhanced version of the old one?

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 14 Feb 2010 01:14 #53036

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
i fixed my last post and in terms of my game-plan, i still have some refining to do but i'll post it soon.

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 14 Feb 2010 02:32 #53045

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Looking forward to hearing and learning from you!

It is a wonderful feeling to realize how we're surrounded by such awesome warriors. I know it helps me keep going, and I'm grateful to all of you, and to hashem!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 15 Feb 2010 02:18 #53204

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
so i've been thinking about my game-plan a little and done some revising. and here's what i got.
If an especially strong thought comes up and i feel myself beginning to slip, i'll go down this list until the i feel like the moment has passed:

1) Review the laws of shemiras einayim (which i have saved in a note on my ipod, which i have with me most of the time)
2) Study at least 1 Halachah of Mishnah (which typically takes around 5-10 minutes)
3) if internet is around, go on GUE for 10 minutes (minimum)
4) Physically changed surroundings (either going to spend time with my siblings/family or going outside to do another activity)
5) Say Tikkun Haklali

Hopefully this is enough of a barrier and fence to keep my y"h out when he comes lookin' for trouble.

other than the re-thinkin' of my game-plan, i got no other news, which i'm told is a good thing  ;D.

and now as we usher in the month of Adar, i can only hope to live with as much simcha as possible!!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 15 Feb 2010 03:31 #53223

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Fantastic! Enjoy Adar, and I hope it brings much simcha to you!

May we all have the gift of clarity, to be able to realize the depth of things, see through the masks and costumes that this world wears.

PS - I've discovered that "Break Free" is pretty much the only forum left that doesn't hurt my eyes, so I'm glad that your post is on here!
Last Edit: 15 Feb 2010 03:35 by .

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 15 Feb 2010 11:58 #53299

• imtrying25
  • Platinum Boarder
Im with SB on the eye hurting thing. Also everytime i check in something on the forum changes. :-\ :-\

Anyways, keep it up Shlomo!! Sounds like your figuring things out. Thats awesome. And keep us posted with your progress.

hatzlacha!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 16 Feb 2010 01:45 #53477

• Shlomo
  • Gold Boarder
things are all good today. and i even made it back onto the chart. hopefully everything from here is up, both in real life and on the chart.

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 16 Feb 2010 01:49 #53479

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Amen! Remember, you have the ability to be free, one day at a time!

Rock on!

Re: Shlomo's Shlep to 90 16 Feb 2010 12:25 #53548

• imtrying25
  • Platinum Boarder
Amen!! Your doing great and were hear to cheer you on!!

Roll on!
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes