Welcome, Guest

Shmilu's renewed quest for purity
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 8145 Views

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 31 May 2010 17:27 #67837

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Shmilu wrote on 30 May 2010 06:13:
Just had my first real test on this current streak (found myself in front of an unfiltered computer), and after some initial slipping, I B"H found the strength to just walk away...

I recall a recent day when I found myself accidently facing some photos on the web that took my breath away. The strength to just walk away... just took my breath away. I hope your experience leaves with enough joy and confidence and chizuk and everything else good... that you'll be equipped with a good memory to focus on if it ever happens again. 
Last Edit: by .

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 01 Jun 2010 12:54 #68027

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
Day 15:

Oh, yeah, today's gonna be a tough one. I sensed it as soon as I opened my eyes this morning.

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 01 Jun 2010 17:25 #68127

• Dov
  • Administrator
"Let's not be too hasty..."

- Fangorn
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 01 Jun 2010 20:14 #68177

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
Day 15:

Oh yeah,definitely having issues with the eyes, albeit unintentionally. But B"H the heart is ok; no lusting.

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 01 Jun 2010 21:24 #68197

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
It is so interesting how these things work. One day I feel great the whole entire day -- no lust, nothing to fret over. And I take that feeling to bed with me. Feels awesome. But on the next day, inexplicably, I wake up feeling vulnerable. There's nothing to trigger it, yet there it is, in all its luster! (pun intended)

This is so, so, so weird...

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 02:53 #68258

• Dov
  • Administrator
Well, Shmilu, at least you see that you believe that a day without lusting is a happier one. At least without the tyranny of lust...

Hal'vai that the next time a lust 'opportunity' presents itself our response would be, "huh? Why woulkd I want to make myself miserable by acting on this lust and taking it into me?" 
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 03:45 #68278

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
Day 15:

I'm sooooo proud of myself...

I just downloaded K9 onto my computer.

It was one helluva fight; the Yetzer H. was telling me, "You really wanna do this?! You truly wanna curb your freedom?!"

I soooo wanted to take one last peek before it was gonna be too late, but I succeeded in squashing those feelings. Despite all my urges -- my heart was throbbing just the way it used to when I sat down in front of an unfiltered computer with the intent to sully my Neshomah --  I knew I was doing the right thing.

Feels good. Feels very good...
Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010 03:51 by .

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 03:55 #68283

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
"Hal'vai that the next time a lust 'opportunity' presents itself our response would be, "huh? Why woulkd I want to make myself miserable by acting on this lust and taking it into me?"

R' Doiv'en, you're a prophet -- a saint!

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 13:20 #68328

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
You should be proud of yourself! You've taken a tremendous step forward, a step towards freedom, a step towards reality.

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 13:28 #68333

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
Day 16:

And today the struggle is even greater...

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 16:27 #68380

• Dov
  • Administrator
Hey, mr 'even greater'....consider taking a relaxing deep breath or two, speaking out to Hashem that you trust Him right now, and then go about His business the rest of the day to the best of your ability. I do this three or four times a day and it is working so far.

Have a nice one. 

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 17:00 #68390

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Shmilu wrote on 02 Jun 2010 13:28:
And today the struggle is even greater...

I've got a lot to say on a very short line, and that short line probably wasn't even intended as I heard it. Even so, I think I'll share it because my fingers literally flew across the keyboard to get it down. Forgive me if I tread too hard or in the wrong spot.

I'm not a big believer in the power of positive thinking, as it's commonly defined. I do, however, believe in the power of... positively seeing Hashem as my Friend and not Ch'V my Challenger.

Medresh: two melachim visit houses at lichtbentschen. Where the candles are lit, tablet set, sholom ba'bayis, etc, the good malach says "So should it be next Shabbos," and the bad one must grumble "amen." Where the opposite is true, lo alenu, the EVIL malach gets to say "So should it be next Shabbos," and the GOOD one must grumble "amen." Nimshal: these words have POWER to them.

What I'm trying to say is, our attitude can help shape the present AND can set a precedent for the future. It may sound sorta silly or simplistic, but for me the very uttering of anything "negative" seems to set negative forces in motion... for now and for tomorrow. If it's not part of a positive world view, then I don't want to say it, or then feel it, or then do it, or then get addicted to it. I want every word to be a literal tefila to Hashem as to how I'd like life to be.

I DO NOT SUGGEST LYING TO OURSELVES. When it looks awful, that's reality -- it LOOKS awful right now. Yup. But that doesn't mean it IS awful or that it has to STAY that way all day. I just think that being both upbeat and honest is feasible.

So when I'm thinking, for example, "and today the struggle is even greater," I might ask myself, "Is that really my choice?" If it's not what I would choose, I don't want to put those words into the world. I'd rather find some happier tune.

Maybe I'd say something like, "today I see a huge struggle, and I'm counting on Hashem to bring me through with grace, ease, success, and everything good."

I wonder what kind of positive-only, honest-only description might you be able to make about the rest of today? Because frankly, even if it looks like a bigger struggle than yesterday, your choice has got to be for something better. So, say it.

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 02 Jun 2010 17:44 #68406

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Well said. We can shape our attitude toward something.

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 03 Jun 2010 13:46 #68635

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
Day 17:

This is the halfway mark of my previously longest streak of 34 days.

I pray to Hashem that I'll be able to break that record -- by a lot.

Re: Shmilu's renewed quest for purity 03 Jun 2010 13:59 #68638

• SoHard,YetSoRewarding
Now I'm pretty down on myself -- not because of this challenge, only because of impotence in other areas of my life.

Oh, well...
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes