Welcome, Guest

What if you don't have time?
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: What if you don't have time? 650 Views

What if you don't have time? 02 Aug 2022 10:04 #384246

• NewAgain
  • Senior Boarder
I am still very new around here and learning the ropes. I started off strong with a five-day streak but then fell, got up, lasted one day, and fell again. The two falls were like a sucker punch that came out of nowhere. One moment I am fine, and the next moment BAM. I am back into the cesspool. I am trying to figure out what happened to make this 180-degree change in an instant. Yesterday, I did not see anything on the street or TV, or computer.

Something in my head is triggering me. I was alone, working, and having a somewhat productive day. I was not upset, angry, or sad. It was just a NORMAL day. How can I deal with something I don't even see or feel? I would say that I went from working to falling in the span of 30 seconds. 

What do all of you do in that instance? I didn't have time to make a call or daven. What should one do in this situation? 

Hope this makes sense 

Re: What if you don't have time? 02 Aug 2022 13:52 #384252

• lchaim tovim
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Gold Boarder
Were you fantasizing?

Re: What if you don't have time? 02 Aug 2022 14:03 #384255

Yeah... We all go through this, our mind has used the run in that direction, we need to know and be aware that we are open to fall, and watch out for any weak moments.

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 01:15 #384291

• NewAgain
  • Senior Boarder
No, I was working and totally focused on my work

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 08:24 #384302

• frank.lee
  • Current streak: 333 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The fact that you are working on this journey and noticing and thinking, that is great!

There are many tools and ideas here. Did you start a 90 day challenge?

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 09:22 #384303

• NewAgain
  • Senior Boarder
I am using the Flight to Freedom program. I did not start an official 90 challenge yet (I think). I am searching this site and reading as much as possible on the subject. I have to admit that I am presently surprised by how successful so many people on GYE are. I love reading success stories, and in a weird way, I like reading their struggles. It is comforting that I am not alone with this issue.

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 14:19 #384309

• larry bird
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Expert Boarder
I am still very new around here and learning the ropes. I started off strong with a five-day streak but then fell, got up, lasted one day, and fell again. The two falls were like a sucker punch that came out of nowhere. One moment I am fine, and the next moment BAM. I am back into the cesspool. I am trying to figure out what happened to make this 180-degree change in an instant. Yesterday, I did not see anything on the street or TV, or computer.

Something in my head is triggering me. I was alone, working, and having a somewhat productive day. I was not upset, angry, or sad. It was just a NORMAL day. How can I deal with something I don't even see or feel? I would say that I went from working to falling in the span of 30 seconds. 

What do all of you do in that instance? I didn't have time to make a call or daven. What should one do in this situation? 

Hope this makes sense 
This is exactly me. Productive working.. nothing really going on then all of the sudden BAM. It’s very common.. addiction isn’t this maniacal state of mind. It’s regular day to day life that has this small obstacle in the way. For me, my big issue is if there’s a lull in my work. I’m working diligently, but then there seems to be down time or a lack of tasks to take care of. That is my weakest time. I’ve tried different things. For right now I’m trying to schedule my day to the minute. So I don’t have a free minute unaccounted for. Obviously, this is super challenging, but hopefully it’ll help a little. Be”h.

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 14:21 #384310

• larry bird
  • Expert Boarder
Larry Bird wrote on 03 Aug 2022 14:19:

Hope this makes sense 
This is exactly me. Productive working.. nothing really going on then all of the sudden BAM. It’s very common.. addiction isn’t this maniacal state of mind. It’s regular day to day life that has this small obstacle in the way. For me, my big issue is if there’s a lull in my work. I’m working diligently, but then there seems to be down time or a lack of tasks to take care of. That is my weakest time. I’ve tried different things. For right now I’m trying to schedule my day to the minute. So I don’t have a free minute unaccounted for. Obviously, this is super challenging, but hopefully it’ll help a little. Be”h.

Not sure what happened to that post. Here is what I meant for it to look like:)

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 15:56 #384319

• sapy
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Welcome aboard!

Great post! I just wanna point out, that for most of us, this isnt a quick fix, it's a journey. Make yourself comfortable, it may take some falls, but you will slowly figure yourself out. Dont expect yourself to figure it all out right away, and try not to get frustrated. 

There is obviously an answer to your question, which we cannot answer, what your triggers are, it may be external or internal, I would just recommend you to be curious and open rather then judgemental. Youl be doing great iyh.

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 15:59 #384320

• sapy
  • Platinum Boarder
Larry Bird wrote on 03 Aug 2022 14:21:

Hope this makes sense 

Mmmm... That must be hard to do, do you think that is a lasting solution? Isnt free time sometimes inevitable? Maybe try to think what's so scary for you to have a quiet moment with yourself? 

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 16:48 #384321

• larry bird
  • Expert Boarder
Sapy wrote on 03 Aug 2022 15:59:

Larry Bird wrote on 03 Aug 2022 14:21:

Hope this makes sense 

Mmmm... That must be hard to do, do you think that is a lasting solution? Isnt free time sometimes inevitable? Maybe try to think what's so scary for you to have a quiet moment with yourself? 

Challenging but why is it inevitable? Many great people have strict schedules.

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 17:45 #384324

• lchaim tovim
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Gold Boarder
Something completely out of your hands can derail your schedule. Would you rather have free time with the ability to overcome your challenges or would you rather never having an open moment in your schedule avoiding the challenges but never really addressing  them? 

Re: What if you don't have time? 03 Aug 2022 22:04 #384335

• larry bird
  • Expert Boarder
Lchaim Tovim wrote on 03 Aug 2022 17:45:
Something completely out of your hands can derail your schedule. Would you rather have free time with the ability to overcome your challenges or would you rather never having an open moment in your schedule avoiding the challenges but never really addressing  them? 

A key way of getting control of your desires is to fill your day with productivity. Sitting around is never a good thing. Something may derail your schedule, but keeping busy is very important. The Mishna in kesubos fifth Perek says clearly batala mayvi lidai zima. I know that mishna is referring to a woman specifically, but the rabeinu Yona in the first perek of avos mishna 10 clearly applies it to men as well.

Re: What if you don't have time? 04 Aug 2022 10:26 #384350

• NewAgain
  • Senior Boarder
I am finding out that it is when I am alone that it is the worst. I am working a hybrid situation with two days a week in the office and three from home. When in the office, I am usually fine, but on the days that I am working from home and my wife goes out for whatever reason. I see that as an opportunity to do something terrible. My brain acts like this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance, even though it happens almost daily.

This weekend I am going to be alone as my wife is traveling. It is going to be highly challenging. If I can keep clean this weekend, I will be very proud of myself. I know that I should not be on my computer on Shabbos, but It would be nice to have people on GYE to chat with.

Re: What if you don't have time? 04 Aug 2022 20:35 #384365

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
My friend, you are a mevakesh Hashem and I feel honored to be able to converse with you here.

For myself, I can't say that I've experienced exactly what you're describing but I do know for myself that in hand-to-hand combat with the yetzer hara the yetzer hara always wins. It might be right away or might be days, weeks etc. but it will happen.

There are many opinions and approaches on this site (addicts, non-addicts, filters, finding the right motivation, mentors etc.) but I think they all boil down to having the right tools for the fight. So do your research, gear up and keep on trucking!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes