Welcome, Guest

Getting started
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting started 249 Views

Getting started 27 Feb 2022 17:31 #377912

• chaim424
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Fresh Boarder
H,
as a new member, i look forward to getting started on a journey that is a long time in the making but kept getting pushed off.
​I would appreciate any tips and advice some of the veterans of this forum have to offer.

Re: Getting started 27 Feb 2022 17:52 #377913

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
chaim424 wrote on 27 Feb 2022 17:31:
H,
as a new member, i look forward to getting started on a journey that is a long time in the making but kept getting pushed off.
​I would appreciate any tips and advice some of the veterans of this forum have to offer.

Hi & welcome to GYE!
Please tell us more about your struggles and achievements so we can try to relate to you and share in the journey. 

As a general piece of advice in this topic, it's very important to CONNECT with someone. The opposite of addiction is not sobriety - it's CONNECTION. Addiction thrives on isolation! Find someone that you can share your pain and struggles with. And finally, have someone who can cheer you on and celebrate your both big and small wins with you!
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: Getting started 27 Feb 2022 19:06 #377916

I've been on here for a while, so I'm not exactly a veteran, but here's what I can offer in addition to what DavidT said:

In order to really start the fight, you're going to have to get filters and accountability services on the devices you have access to. I have some listed below in my signature that are free that I personally use, and there's also Google Family Link. Check them out and see they're compatible with the devices you have. (for the free webchaver service you'll see an outdated device compatibility list on venishmartem through the link in my signature, see instead the webchaver website or the covenant eyes website to see an up-to-date list of compatible devices)

And as DavidT said, it's really important to connect with someone you already trust or a mentor and/or partner from GYE about this struggle just for the sake of getting support from them and for having that connection. In addition to that reason, most of the filters I listed above do require you to set someone you trust to set the filters and monitor you effectively. (except for the free webchaver program, although it would certainly help to have the reports sent to someone who can give you support you don't have to do this if you get it through the free program in my signature)
FOR FREE FILTERS AND ACCOUNTABILITY SOLUTIONS CLICK HERE
(Includes WebChaver/CovenantEyes, Microsoft Family Safety, and Apple
Screentime
and a how-to guide to set them up without loopholes)  

Even if you already have a filter, these are necessary additions because
they fix many loopholes that exist with paid filters (speaking from firsthand
experience) and because they add priceless accountability features.

If you have trouble filtering a shared device, then see the post for how
to get these filters discreetly, without any other users' knowledge whatsoever
and without the filters affecting the other users of the device at all.
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2022 19:09 by To Yosef Hatzaddik.

Re: Getting started 28 Feb 2022 13:58 #377946

• Captain
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome! Please check out these great free resources: 
ebook- The Battle of the Generation 
Audio series- The Fight
They're very good to start with.
See below in my signature for the links.

​Hatzlocha!
In the place where ba’alei teshuva stand, even pure tzaddikim who never sinned cannot stand. (Rabbi Avohu, Brachos 34b)

Great free resources:
My favorite book for breaking free: The Battle of the Generation 
https://guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation. Change your attitude and change your life!

Rabbi Shafier's incredible lectures on breaking free: The Fight. Download here: 
https://theshmuz.com/series/the-fight/

If you're only ready to try something small, check out an easier way to do self-talk here:
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/378128-Captain—Shtarkemotionals-Secret90Day-Challenge
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes