Welcome, Guest

Character subjugation
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Character subjugation 240 Views

Character subjugation 20 Jan 2022 02:41 #376196

• willandtonya
  • Current streak: 584 days
  • Senior Boarder
I have read, in Ohr Yisrael, that one can perfect themselves in a character trait to a point that it is only on the subconscious level, the deep subconscious level, that the negative trait exists. They no longer love the desire they are resisting but rather have no desire to do it whatsoever.

May we all reach this exalted level in our closeness to Hashem!

Re: Character subjugation 20 Jan 2022 16:52 #376232

• bego
  • Platinum Boarder
willandtonya wrote on 20 Jan 2022 02:41:
I have read, in Ohr Yisrael, that one can perfect themselves in a character trait to a point that it is only on the subconscious level, the deep subconscious level, that the negative trait exists. They no longer love the desire they are resisting but rather have no desire to do it whatsoever.

May we all reach this exalted level in our closeness to Hashem!

Sounds nice. 
I came.
I saw
I conquered.
I failed. 
Too much I. 

Re: Character subjugation 20 Jan 2022 19:26 #376249

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Rav Eliyahu Dessler wrote a "phenomenal essay on bechira" (Michtav MeEliyahu, Vol. 1, pp. 111-116).In this essay,Rav Dessler describes how the "nekudas habechirah - the point of free choice" is different for different people and in different situations. He explains that bechira is not a theoretical concept that can be applied to any circumstance where a person can hypothetically choose between two options. Rather, it only applies to moral conflicts where the two opposing forces are of approximately equal strength, the person is aware of the internal conflict, and he makes a conscious decision in one direction. When a person does something over which he does not experience conscious conflict, or if the compelling force on one side is significantly stronger than the other, the fact that he is theoretically able to decide either way does not qualify his act as an expression of bechira.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes