Welcome, Guest

Work in progress
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Work in progress 15639 Views

Re: Work in progress 09 Dec 2022 18:27 #389216

Hashem Help Me wrote on 09 Dec 2022 17:47:
Mazel Tov on your awesome accomplishment. May Hashem help you further! 

I think the reality is that today there is much more acceptance, however there is a bigger issue. If a fellow puts aside his shame and embarrassment, and opens up to a rebbi - now what? Is the rebbi trained to give the guy a bear hug? Does he know what to say? If that one chance that our struggler gave us is squandered, we may not get another opportunity. 

Probably there should be a GYE training course given to people (rebbeim, mentors, shul rabbonim) who really care, are passionate, and are willing to volunteer time, to share what is available and be aware of the various methods that have worked.

You are100% right. The same way there are kinusim against the internet, there should be kinusim and lectures for the rabeim/teachers on how to properly handle with the ones who struggle.

Re: Work in progress 11 Dec 2022 02:52 #389236

• human being
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 08 Dec 2022 22:02:
I am sitting here waiting for the sun to go down, for the gye counter to allow me to clock one more clean day. One year clean.  מאשפות ירים אביון   I am overcome with emotion.  I just reread many of my posts from the past year.  I am thinking about how I have changed and I have been able to impact others. I am not looking at anyone else.  I am looking at myself and i feel like my life has taken on a purpose that is unique to me. I feel like I have a place and I belong.  Hashem has carried me for  this entire year and I daven that he continues to do so.    

If you have not read through my thread and are wondering how I was able to get through the year please take the time to read through my posts carefully. I believe that there is a lot of good information. No two people are the same but my thread should be helpful to a lot of you.

I tried to stop many times before but this time was different I went all in and came up with a plan.  This included connections and therapy.  I could no longer hide.  I have been on offense for a year.  They have been thousands upon thousands of opportunities for urges but with hashems help I did not let them in. My body still works and I am not asexual however my motivation remains strong and I have not had to deal with overpowering urges (while I was awake)for this entire year.  They did not become overpowering because I was committed to move on from them as soon as they occurred.  

I sent this recently to a rav that I am getting to know. He is incredibly accepting and has been very supportive.  

I was 19. I knew that the things I was doing were wrong. I also did not feel like I had any way to stop. I was desperate to talk to someone. Someone who would not judge me someone who would understand. I believed that person did not exist anywhere.  I did not think it was safe to reveal my secrets anywhere. So I told no one. And every night I cried.

I tried once after I got married. The person was somewhat helpful but they didn’t understand. They told me I was playing with my life. And I was. So I stopped for a couple of months at most. And then I fell back into it.

Acting out was my secret. The longer I did it the bigger the secret was. One thing led to another I became entrenched in a deviant lifestyle. I made friends with many people from that lifestyle. It may have been just a few hours a week. At times perhaps the greater part of a day. But during these times I shed most of my commitments to live as a frum yid and engaged in as much promiscuous behavior as I possibly could.

The sensations and highs were liberating and intoxicating. The opportunity   was at times the stuff of dreams. When I was done I would compartmentalize my guilt. Put back on my tzitzis, white shirt and black pants and go back to frum society as if nothing had changed.

I fooled myself into thinking that I was doing a good job of hiding everything. That I could continue the frum path and one day just stop all the deviant behaviors. Nothing could be further from the truth. I could not stop. The longer I engaged in these behaviors the less desire I had to stop. Every aspect of my spiritual life suffered. My learning, my davening, my speech, what I ate, who I related to were all affected. I was addicted to a lifestyle that was destroying me. And yet nobody in the world knew.

It took me over three decades of struggling but bh With the help of Guard Your Eyes and intense therapy I am just about a year fully clean and sober. I am a healthier person than I was for my entire adult life. I am active on the GYE forums and try to help others whenever I can.

I think back and ask myself what should I have done different. In whom should I have confided? Who in my life would have understood and who would have been able to help me?  Sadly I still believe the answer to that question is that no one could have helped. I don’t believe that there was someone out there with whom I would have felt safe sharing and I don’t believe there was anyone in my life equipped to help me and not to judge me.

This includes all of my family, rebbeim, rosh Yeshivas and friends. That level of acceptance just was not there.

We need to change that. We need to get the message out there that good people are suffering. None of us want to be addicted or to feel compelled to engage in these behaviors. Yet all of us want to be understood. To have people around us with whom we can share and who will be able to help us without judging us. This needs to be our goal. The world is a different place and the time is right for these conversations. Thank you for reading this. please do your part in creating that nonjudgmental atmosphere which would give us addicts greater opportunity to be helped.  Together we can make a difference.

Unreal. I want to cry from reading your post at how you understand the need for many of us to just feel like a human being around at least a few live people.. Struggles included. 
I'm sick of the Un-scientific approach of today's medical and social environment. 
we will never heal and become a better society unless we realize that all people are addicts. Any thing we do that we aren't interested in is "addiction" and medicine doesn't fix addictions. 

Pain causes addiction and medicine cant fix pain. 

Unless we heal our pain, and become truama conscious so as not to cause others pain, we will never be living in a functioning human society.
Last Edit: 11 Dec 2022 02:54 by human being.

Re: Work in progress 11 Dec 2022 02:58 #389237

• human being
  • Platinum Boarder
Teshuvahguy wrote on 09 Dec 2022 18:16:

Hashem Help Me wrote on 09 Dec 2022 17:47:
Mazel Tov on your awesome accomplishment. May Hashem help you further! 

I think the reality is that today there is much more acceptance, however there is a bigger issue. If a fellow puts aside his shame and embarrassment, and opens up to a rebbi - now what? Is the rebbi trained to give the guy a bear hug? Does he know what to say? If that one chance that our struggler gave us is squandered, we may not get another opportunity. 

Probably there should be a GYE training course given to people (rebbeim, mentors, shul rabbonim) who really care, are passionate, and are willing to volunteer time, to share what is available and be aware of the various methods that have worked.

I am about to find out for myself how this scenario will play out. I’m really scared of what might happen. I have to just have faith that I chose a person wisely (and a wise person) who will give me the support and encouragement I need. Because I need to share my past experience (not graphically, of course) of my previous life with men before becoming a Baal Teshuvah, so it’s not just that I hope he knows about the problems people have with P and M, but I also hope he can accept what happened to me in the past. So I hope it is not a huge mistake. Even though I know he will not share the information with anyone, he may never look at me the same way. Any thoughts? By the way, today is day 51!!!!!

I would journal and work through it cognitively. If cognitively you believe he is a safe person to share it, then go ahead and share!! Its hard but it feels really liberating, even though, yes. It is scary.
I'm sick of the Un-scientific approach of today's medical and social environment. 
we will never heal and become a better society unless we realize that all people are addicts. Any thing we do that we aren't interested in is "addiction" and medicine doesn't fix addictions. 

Unless we heal our pain, and become truama conscious so as not to cause others pain, we will never be living in a functioning human society.

Re: Work in progress 11 Dec 2022 04:16 #389249

• emes-a-yid
  • Current streak: 235 days
  • Gold Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 08 Dec 2022 22:02:
I am sitting here waiting for the sun to go down, for the gye counter to allow me to clock one more clean day. One year clean.  מאשפות ירים אביון   I am overcome with emotion.  I just reread many of my posts from the past year.  I am thinking about how I have changed and I have been able to impact others. I am not looking at anyone else.  I am looking at myself and i feel like my life has taken on a purpose that is unique to me. I feel like I have a place and I belong.  Hashem has carried me for  this entire year and I daven that he continues to do so.    

If you have not read through my thread and are wondering how I was able to get through the year please take the time to read through my posts carefully. I believe that there is a lot of good information. No two people are the same but my thread should be helpful to a lot of you.

I tried to stop many times before but this time was different I went all in and came up with a plan.  This included connections and therapy.  I could no longer hide.  I have been on offense for a year.  They have been thousands upon thousands of opportunities for urges but with hashems help I did not let them in. My body still works and I am not asexual however my motivation remains strong and I have not had to deal with overpowering urges (while I was awake)for this entire year.  They did not become overpowering because I was committed to move on from them as soon as they occurred.  

I sent this recently to a rav that I am getting to know. He is incredibly accepting and has been very supportive.  

I was 19. I knew that the things I was doing were wrong. I also did not feel like I had any way to stop. I was desperate to talk to someone. Someone who would not judge me someone who would understand. I believed that person did not exist anywhere.  I did not think it was safe to reveal my secrets anywhere. So I told no one. And every night I cried.

I tried once after I got married. The person was somewhat helpful but they didn’t understand. They told me I was playing with my life. And I was. So I stopped for a couple of months at most. And then I fell back into it. 

Acting out was my secret. The longer I did it the bigger the secret was. One thing led to another I became entrenched in a deviant lifestyle. I made friends with many people from that lifestyle. It may have been just a few hours a week. At times perhaps the greater part of a day. But during these times I shed most of my commitments to live as a frum yid and engaged in as much promiscuous behavior as I possibly could.

The sensations and highs were liberating and intoxicating. The opportunity   was at times the stuff of dreams. When I was done I would compartmentalize my guilt. Put back on my tzitzis, white shirt and black pants and go back to frum society as if nothing had changed. 

I fooled myself into thinking that I was doing a good job of hiding everything. That I could continue the frum path and one day just stop all the deviant behaviors. Nothing could be further from the truth. I could not stop. The longer I engaged in these behaviors the less desire I had to stop. Every aspect of my spiritual life suffered. My learning, my davening, my speech, what I ate, who I related to were all affected. I was addicted to a lifestyle that was destroying me. And yet nobody in the world knew. 

It took me over three decades of struggling but bh With the help of Guard Your Eyes and intense therapy I am just about a year fully clean and sober. I am a healthier person than I was for my entire adult life. I am active on the GYE forums and try to help others whenever I can.

I think back and ask myself what should I have done different. In whom should I have confided? Who in my life would have understood and who would have been able to help me?  Sadly I still believe the answer to that question is that no one could have helped. I don’t believe that there was someone out there with whom I would have felt safe sharing and I don’t believe there was anyone in my life equipped to help me and not to judge me.

This includes all of my family, rebbeim, rosh Yeshivas and friends. That level of acceptance just was not there.

We need to change that. We need to get the message out there that good people are suffering. None of us want to be addicted or to feel compelled to engage in these behaviors. Yet all of us want to be understood. To have people around us with whom we can share and who will be able to help us without judging us. This needs to be our goal. The world is a different place and the time is right for these conversations. Thank you for reading this. please do your part in creating that nonjudgmental atmosphere which would give us addicts greater opportunity to be helped.  Together we can make a difference.  

Although I like writing, just when I see an option to type (write) or read, I would choose read, with that being said. I will probably type shortly so, sorry in advance.

I am very proud to hear this from you Vehkam You should continue with the Derech of what ever you are using till now, you have helped me along the way I am 1/4 towards a year (about 65days), will be there soon too, Keep it up, It is great hatzlacha!!
To my dear friend reading this:
You are an incredible yid for just being on this site, I am breath taken after each post or new person that comes on and shares a bit about himself, keep it up. You guys are mamash matzlichim in your own ways of growth and Hashem is proud of each one of you! (that includes me too) lol.

KEEP UP YOUR TREMENDOUS UPLIFTING IN THE AVODAH OF EMES!!

Thanks for reading! Stay shtark, I am also being challenged, just build your confidence, never quit no matter what, you are your strongest enemy and yet you are your strongest savior so you choose, I am not saying it's easy but am saying it's possible just takes effort and work!!
-from Emes-A-Yid

Re: Work in progress 19 Dec 2022 21:26 #389702

• vehkam
  • Current streak: 981 days
  • Platinum Boarder
There is nothing more dangerous for me then prolonged sadness. The past week has been difficult on my mood.  I see the yetzer hara trying to take advantage by putting all sorts of memories of improper good times into my head.  Bh my resolve is strong but I need to get myself into a healthier mood. 
vehkam7@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/375452-Work-in-progress

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.

Re: Work in progress 20 Dec 2022 02:23 #389716

• geshmak!
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 19 Dec 2022 21:26:
There is nothing more dangerous for me then prolonged sadness. The past week has been difficult on my mood.  I see the yetzer hara trying to take advantage by putting all sorts of memories of improper good times into my head.  Bh my resolve is strong but I need to get myself into a healthier mood. 

So what’s your plan???
I feel wired giving you ideas it’s usually you that is giving the ideas 
Do you like doing exercises?? Like maybe go to the gym and do some work out it can really change your mood and besides it can burn off all the donuts you ate so far…
Guys the only way were really gonna get help is with H’s help so we gotta beg him for help and he sure will help us cause he wants us helped!!
CRY TO HIM!!
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/2-What-Works-for-Me/387630-Powerful!#387630

Feel free to pm me!
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2022 02:27 by geshmak!.

Re: Work in progress 20 Dec 2022 04:45 #389746

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Geshmak! wrote on 20 Dec 2022 02:23:

So what’s your plan???
Do you like doing exercises?? Like maybe go to the gym and do some work out it can really change your mood and besides it can burn off all the donuts you ate so far…

Thanks for trying but Actually not looking for ideas.  I have a good idea of what I need to do. It would be great if I could exercise but right now that is not a possibility.  

Now if you offered to bake me chocolate chip cookies that might be something I would take you up on….!!!
vehkam7@gmail.com

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.

Re: Work in progress 20 Dec 2022 04:51 #389749

• geshmak!
  • Platinum Boarder
I’m in! Send me an Uber eats and I’ll send it right over brother! I owe it to you you got me to start reading the book the battle…
so that would be the least I can do to pay you back!!
Guys the only way were really gonna get help is with H’s help so we gotta beg him for help and he sure will help us cause he wants us helped!!
CRY TO HIM!!
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/2-What-Works-for-Me/387630-Powerful!#387630

Feel free to pm me!

Re: Work in progress 20 Dec 2022 05:10 #389755

• human being
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 20 Dec 2022 04:45:

Geshmak! wrote on 20 Dec 2022 02:23:

So what’s your plan???

Thanks for trying but Actually not looking for ideas.  I have a good idea of what I need to do. It would be great if I could exercise but right now that is not a possibility.  

Now if you offered to bake me chocolate chip cookies that might be something I would take you up on….!!!

Here's a hug. IM sorry your going through the slog of feeling down for so long. Sounds annoying more then anything. Love. Hugs. Hearts. Stay strong my friend.

Re: Work in progress 22 Dec 2022 21:18 #389919

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
bh that mood is gone.  hopefully not coming back anytime soon!

the following contributed to my difficult mood:

anxiety, uncertainty
winter (cold, dark and rainy)
being sick
not eating properly
unanticipated hurt from a few places

the following helped me get out of it
talking to a professional - relieving some of the anxiety
allowing myself to sleep and recover
accepting the pain of being hurt
lots of music
sticking with my program
posting my feelings on gye...

if i had to pick which was the most impactful, it was the time spent talking with my therapist.

best wishes
vehkam
vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 22 Dec 2022 21:19 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 22 Dec 2022 21:21 #389920

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Geshmak! wrote on 20 Dec 2022 04:51:
I’m in! Send me an Uber eats and I’ll send it right over brother! I owe it to you you got me to start reading the book the battle…
so that would be the least I can do to pay you back!!

are you reading the book regularly? i'm halfway through on the sixth round!
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 26 Dec 2022 02:43 #390018

• teshuvahguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow, Vehkam! These two posts are amazing and inspiring. Thank you so much for these tools!

Re: Work in progress 26 Dec 2022 02:47 #390019

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 26 Dec 2022 03:11 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 27 Dec 2022 00:50 #390060

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
This chanukah was very meaningful.  I am not that good at spending time looking at the neiros.  Even though many talk about it, somehow it usually doesn't happen for me.

however, i had a new understanding in Al Hanisim.  Probably from many of the boosts and inspiration that i heard.  I could not help but think of the fact that there is a pure part inside of me that can never be defiled, no matter what i did. When i tap into that purity with sincerity, hashem can help me build and expand that part of me until it wipes away all of the impurities that engulfed me.  I had this in mind during davening and the meaning of the days felt closer to home then ever....  May this inspiration stay with me (and you) through the winter....
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 01 Jan 2023 03:40 #390372

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder

Part of My speech today in Shul. (The rav was away and it was my turn to fill in)

I would be remiss if I didn’t talk about the five words in this weeks Parsha that I believe are the battle cry of a Yid in liberal America 2023.

We are surrounded and inundated by ideas and images that threaten our kedusha. There were times in history that they  had similar nisyonos but there was never a time that had the technology to go along with it.  It is impossible to completely shelter from all of this that is knocking down our doors and breaking our windows to get in. 

When I grew up the descriptions of sdom and the like seemed so far-fetched.  Today we see it in front of us.  Everything has been normalized and it is being shoved down our throats. 

Each of us needs to understand and recognize ANI YOSEF.!  I am faced with the Temptations just as YOSEF did on a Daily basis. There is no way to get away from it.  We cannot bury our head in the sand and think that we are protected.  Every day a person must recognize that ANI YOSEF!

There is only one way for a person to be successful in standing up to these nisyonos.  A person must also ask himself every single day. HA’OD AVI CHAI? Is my passion and desire to serve my father in heaven alive.  Is my desire to serve Hashem stronger than the desire for the temptations of the street?. Is my father alive within me?? It is only this passion that will keep a person focused on his goals in life and keep him separated from the perverted messages that our society seeks to poison us with.

ANI YOSEF, HA’OD AVI CHAI?

This is the battle cry of a yid as we live in liberal America 2023.

vehkam7@gmail.com

Time to create page: 0.74 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes