Welcome, Guest

Steve's Journal
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Steve's Journal 31569 Views

Re: Steve's Journal 24 Feb 2010 06:56 #55106

• Steve
  • Current streak: 5034 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
Just taking a quick moment to update ya'all...

I've had to pull a few long days with very late nights, but BH earlier today I made one client VERY happy, and a few minutes ago finished something for another client and emailed it off to production, so even tho' they wanted to be done at 10 pm at least we made production and they'd BETTER be happy!! So I am BH progressing.

Had a cool experience. my IMAC's wireless keyboard froze on me, had to go to the APPLE STORE in the mall to talk to a Genius and get them to give me a new keyboard. Mission accomplished, lost 3 hours of productivity, discovered a really cool place tho (never been to an Apple Store with techies before.} BUT BEST OF ALL, it was the first time I had been to the mall in ages, and BH I discovered I wasn't interested in girl watching, I was indifferent to the women in the store, I was VERY on top of my YH when in the lion's den. THAT WAS THE GOOD PART.

The bad part was later that night, instead of working when I had the opportunity, but like an idiot i got hooked on cruising thru humor videos for 5 hours instead of working, from 8pm to 1 am last nite. When I FINALLY pulled out of the nose dive, I realized that i lost the whole advatage I had to get ahead and still sleep. NO FALLS, but a LOOOOONG SLIP. So I ended up staying in my office till 7 am so I could accomplish and email off what COULD have been done better and with sleep afterward had I not started at 1 am.  Lost out on Minyanim, family time, postponed classes I teach, all because of those 5 hours on the web. HOPE I LEARN FROM IT THIS TIME!!

I also realize that the web cruising might have something to do with subconcious anxieties because of the mall, so I'll have to come up with strategies on how to avoid or overcome that. Prob is I want to take advantage of training i could get there for the Mac. I think I'll go early in the mornings, less people around.

I've wanted to arrange for my wife to be my internet policeman, get a daily email of all the sites I've been to, but No Can Do cuz GYE will show up, especially the forum visits. I also have to make the move to get a filter for my work computer.

last, I want to remind EVERYONE that Duvid Chaim's Phone conference is the answer to almost everyone's prayers for THE SOLUTION, and he starts a brand new program TOMORROW, WED., 12 noon EST. Be there or Be Square. DO IT. It'll be the best investment you could ever do.

And if the time doesn't work out for you, DC is putting together some alumni to work with fellow call-mates in the off hours. But try at least to start and get in on the first few days with the whole group. You can go by your forum alias or a different alias name - it's all anonymous, but very personable. You get out of isolation, hear the voices and stories of fellow addicts, discuss struggles, and are beautifully guided by Duvid Chaim, who is a master Sponsor. And his Texas accent is reason enough to join!!

see you all tomorrow on the call, and if I catch up on work enough, maybe I'll be able to pop in here again before Purim!!

Just in case: Have a Freilechen Purim Everybody!!
No one is so small that he can not give help, and no one is so big that he doesn't need it.

Kol HaOlam Kulo, Gesher Tzar Meod, V'HaIkkar: Lo L'Pacheid Klal.
Last Edit: 24 Feb 2010 16:10 by .

Re: Steve's Journal 24 Feb 2010 11:49 #55141

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
This post has proven to me, that even though you left for awhile you still didnt lose the knack of writing really long posts!! Shewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! I was starting to get nervous!!

Ah freilechen purim!!!
Last Edit: by .

Re: Steve's Journal 24 Feb 2010 14:46 #55187

• sci1977
  • Current streak: 438 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad to hear you are doing OK.  I have found that working is a huge way to channel the energy I used to use regarding the time I used to spend.  I think the more you focus on work, the better you will feel.  KOT!!  LOVED the post.

Re: Steve's Journal 24 Feb 2010 18:40 #55239

• humanbeing
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Steve...You really know thyself...Thank you for being such a good friend. DC's Group was inspiring and if it can help an enlightened fellow as yourself...Anan Ma Neinei Basrei...It is so beautiful to be there with so many truly beautiful people.

Re: Steve's Journal 24 Feb 2010 19:30 #55252

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Steve - insightful as always. Glad to hear that overall you're doing well, and although there are still issues you want to improve on, this lesson was relatively cheap - certainly cheaper than it might have been. Take advantage of it!

Sorry I didn't make the call today, I didn't really read your message till it was too late!

Keep on rocking!

Re: Steve's Journal 24 Feb 2010 19:50 #55259

• Steve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
SB, the first call was a lot of set up as AT LEAST 37 PEOPLE were signing in! That's so GEVALDIGE, and a real testimony to DC's effectiveness and what the program promises. There were some introductory remarks, and based on my experience, there was NOTHING mentioned in "outside" remarks that will not be repeated several times throughout the program. We read today from the Big Book's "Forward" introduction page, and tomorrow we start on the first page of "the Doctor's Opinion" chapter from the introduction. So it will be very easy for you to join in tomorrow, without feeling you missed anything irretrievable.

So I hope to see you and everybody else there.  Have an EASY and MEANINGFUL TAANIS.

We are now entering into our national days of redemption and freedom. This is so appropriate that we begin also our own, personal season of redemption and freedom.

Yehi Ratzon that we all succeed and grow together, and may HKBH fulfill one of my most fervent wishes, that i get to dance soon B'Simcha Gadol in the Beis Hamikdosh with all my chevra from GYE!!
No one is so small that he can not give help, and no one is so big that he doesn't need it.

Re: Steve's Journal 24 Feb 2010 20:02 #55268

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Amen!

Re: Steve's Journal 25 Feb 2010 08:12 #55403

• habaletaher
  • Current streak: 23 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Boys,

How y'all been?? Wishing you all a Purim that is soooo heilig that your neshama gets blasted 12 mil back, and the malachim should need to reconnect your body and soul!!!!

I've been so busy that I've been out of it for a while... but my love for my GYE people has not dimished, and my hakaras hatov grows each day. I just hit day 71!!!! I have not had such a long clean streak in probably 5 years!!!

Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!

Have a L'Chaim for me on Purim, and I'll do the same for you!! For each one of you!! Yes, that's right for each and every one of you, and two for Reb Gaurd!!!

Re: Steve's Journal 25 Feb 2010 21:27 #55513

• Steve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
hi guys.

bummer that the calling card I was using to call the DC calls just realizes it's a conference call and bumped me up to 10 cents per minute instead of 1.7 cents that i had before! Tried another card, and they want to charge me 3 cents per minute. THAT'S $9 PER WEEK!! I cant afford that, even tho it's worth it!

I can't use my cell, the number will be a red flag to my wife who doesnt know about GYE.

The GYE link to free internet VOIP is also not free anymore. I didn't look how much it costs yet.

Anybody have another REAL EITZA for me to get free or VERY CHEAP long distance calls to i can not miss any days?

Thanx!!

Re: Steve's Journal 26 Feb 2010 04:39 #55578

• Steve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
OK EVERYBODY, IN HONOR OF BARDS WE GOT THE CAPS LOCK ON...

THIS IS MY LAST OP TO POST B4 PURIM, SO I VANNA VINCH Y'ALL Y'ALL

A FREILECHEN PURIM!!

AND I HEREBY ANNOUNCE THAT AT 5PM EST. PURIM DAY, I WILL (BLI NEDER) BE LIFTING A CUP OF WINE AND MAKING A SPECIAL L'CHAIM IN HONOR OF ALL MY GYE FAMILY!

PLEASE JOIN ME, AS WE TOAST EACH OTHER, "IN HONOR OF MY MOST SPECIAL FRIENDS ALL OVER THE WORLD!!" LETS ALL DO THIS AT THE SAME TIME, WHEREVER YOU ARE, AT 5PM EST (YOU FOLKS IN EY WILL HAVE TO HAVE A SECOND ROUND AT 11PM, HOPE YOU'RE SOBER ENOUGH TO DRINK AGAIN  :D ;D ) !

THIS WAY WE ALL KNOW WE'RE TOGETHER WHEREVER WE ARE!

IF IT MUST BE, MAY THIS PURIM BE OUR LAST ONE IN GALUS!!

LOVE YOU ALL!!

Re: Steve's Journal 26 Feb 2010 04:47 #55581

• Ineedhelp!!
  • Platinum Boarder
Have an amazing uplifitng purim, steve. One in which you grow much closer to Hashem and gain great strength.

-Yiddle

Re: Steve's Journal 26 Feb 2010 07:44 #55589

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
How about using google voice - wouldn't that be free, and totally anonymous/untraceable?

Re: Steve's Journal 01 Mar 2010 20:00 #55805

• Steve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
A Freilechen Shushan Purim!!

Well, after sundown tonite, I want everybody to whistle happy birthday to Duvid Chaim. You heard me, WHISTLE, not sing.

And after you're done, treat yourself to a great big belly laugh.

Purim was a grand ol' time, BH, and I hope y'all were able to lift a glass and toast each other at 5pm EST yesterday. I had asked someone to remind me at 4:59, but that person was drunk, and I was in a state of L'Meilah Min Hazman meself, so at that time I was with you in spirits.

I heard b'shem the Chassam Sofer that when Haman indicted the Jews to Achashveirosh and said "Yeishnu Am..." (There is this nation...) he was saying "YeShanu", (they are sleeping), meaning the One Nation is now sleeping in their achdus, they are spread out all over the globe and have no unity, and now is the time we can get the upper hand on them. Esther's answer to Mordechai was to "gather the Jews together" and rebuild the achdus, as they all pray for each other's lives.

We are weakest and most vulnerable when our connection to each other, to the Torah, and to Hashem is broken, but when we rebuild that union we get Hashem back on our side and through Him become invincible, for He guards us saves us from our enemies.

The Parsha mentioned the Shoham stones that were to be engraved with the names of the Shevatim, and worn on the shoulder straps of the Kohein Gadol's Ephod. What where these Shoham stones? The Rebbainu Bachya says the letters Shin-Hey-Mem can be recombined to spell Moshe, and also to spell HaShem. When Moshe broke the Luchos, that shattered the connection between Hashem, Moshe and the B'nei Yisroel. These Shoham stones were Hashem's way of showing that that connection had been rebuilt by the teshuva of the Jews after the Chait HaEigel, with the names of the tribes engraved upon it, and the name that spells also Hashem and Moshe.

I would like to add to this by questioning why couldn't the second Luchos accomplish that sign? After all, didn't they physically replace the first luchos, which according to this idea were the symbol of the achdus between Hashem, Moshe, and Klal Yisroel?

I think an answer could be that we did not get back to the same level we had acheived at Matan Torah, so we could no longer rely on the luchos alone, which by virtue of their remaining unseen in the Aron were for us a purely conceptual symbol of this message. We needed a physical "actualized" reminder, one which requires being visible, and therefore require constant reinforcement to have practical benefit. The Shoham stones were worn on Aharon's shoulders, conveying the message that he had to carry the burden of tribes, signified by their names, on his shoulders. He had to don these stones every time he put on these special clothes of the Kohein Gadol, assuming daily the mantel of leadership and responsibility of caring for the entire Jewish people.

Achdus, true unity, is not just a warm fuzzy feeling to be hidden away in one's heart. What builds our people's connection to Hashem and the Torah we received thru Moshe, is the achdus we build through being "nosein b'ol chaveiro", putting our own shoulders to the work, to help carry the burden of our friend.

With all the Tzedakah given out Purim Day, we had a tremendous outpouring of Achdus. Now that we are all out of money, we can still move on to get involved in the lives of struggling families, children, parents, the lonely and the sick. Visit, get involved in tzedakah organizations that pack & deliver food to the needy, be a Big Brother or a Big Sister, offer to tutor a child from a poor family - ease the burden any way one can, there are so many ways that have very little to do with money and have everything to do with time.

We addicts suffer from isolation and poor self image. We can get ourselves out of isolation and to really understand our self-worth by finding ways to be of service to our fellow Yidden. And even tho at first I might be doing this for my own needs (ie. therapeutically), eventually it will awaken my heart to be doing it more for their needs and less for my own - Lo L'shma, Bo L'shma.

By finding new ways to see ourselves in a positive light, we can combat the negative self-images that feed off of our R.I.D. and lead us down the path of acting out and other self destructive behaviors. When I become valuable to other people, i have more value to myself, and I rebuild the shattered relationship not only between myself and Hashem, but between Hashem and the rest of our people. And I can learn Torah with more excitement and earnest desire, because I feel closer to Hashem and feel his desire for me.

Have a GREAT WEEK everybody!  I love you all!!

Re: Steve's Journal 01 Mar 2010 20:47 #55812

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
PACE!!!

P robably
A nother
C hizuk
E mail
!!!!
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"

Re: Steve's Journal 01 Mar 2010 20:53 #55814

• yona18
  • Current streak: 4500 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Steve! Keep up the good work, man. And please allow me to suggest a powerful eitzah I use to ensure I don't goof off when I'm supposed to be working. What you got to do is promise yourself before you even sit down at the computer that you will adhere to the following activities and the following actiivites only:
Here's a sample itinerary.

1. Get some background music going with pandora.com
2. Check your email for important messages. Under no conditions should you click ANY LINK because you have to stay focused and do exactly what you set out to do.
3. Load up your work files and get to work. Don't open up your web browser even unless it's on your to-do list you thought up.

And this way you should be able to avoid problem. I personally had problems with "borderline" Google searches, but after I instituted this new policy, it's been easier to control.

I am LOVING DC's calls btw.

KUTGW!
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes