Welcome, Guest

This is it - 90 Days here I come!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 32534 Views

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 25 Nov 2010 21:56 #86857

• Blind Beggar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Not a sexaholic, just trying to be good.
A quick question for all the poskim and others out there: Is zera levatolo on Shabbos an issur of דש like expressing milk, or lehavdil milking a cow? If not, what's the chiluk?
Good Shabbos everyone.
The Blind Beggar is a character in Rebbe Nachman's story of the Seven Beggars.
If I view a woman as an object, I am powerless over lust, but I don't have to look.
I can guard my eyes.
I want to guard my eyes.
I do guard my eyes.
Why do I say these four lines?
Last Edit: by .

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 25 Nov 2010 22:20 #86872

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't see how it could be a Melacha - you're allowed (even encouraged) to have relations on shabbos, right?

[Moderator's note: I changed "assur" to "a Melacha" for reasons that should be obvious].

Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010 23:37 by .

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 25 Nov 2010 22:24 #86874

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
JUST DON'T DO IT!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 25 Nov 2010 23:01 #86894

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Truth.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 25 Nov 2010 23:40 #86906

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
It's not a Melacha as far as Shabbos is concerned, but it's obviously the same serious issur that it is during the week. 

In fact, it's brought down that it's more chamur to do any aveira on Shabbos than it is during the week.  That's why the Yerushalmi in Demai says that we trust an Am Ha'aretz if he tells us on Shabbos that he separated terumas maaser, because the Am Ha'aretz is afraid to lie on Shabbos.
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010 23:42 by .

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 29 Nov 2010 17:49 #87197

• yona18
  • Current streak: 4500 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow, quite a discussion has been launched here. That's nice.

What's not so nice is the fact that I messed up when I went home. Oh well, at least I got a new record out of it - a new challenge. And also, huge chizzuk for me and for the oilam: Things definitely DO CHANGE. I fell mostly because I wasn't being honest, and had to count a slip as a fall, so I was like what the hell and went for a real fall, but you know what, gang: It wasn't geshmack at all. It was awful. It was disgusting. It was stupid and infantile. It wasn't satisfying - it was just stupid and I feel that it's so much better not acting out, and living in happiness without guilt than with the supposed pleasure you get out of this junk. I feel that from being sober for long enough to see a real contrast. Now hopefully I can go all the way to 90 days without another fall.

The glamor is gone. I don't think I ever felt that way before. We'll see what I say down the line, but let this post memorialize the feeling I have right now, so that I can turn back to it when I'm doubtful, and remind myself how much better it is to be clean. Onwards!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 29 Nov 2010 18:19 #87203

• kedusha
  • Administrator
I suggest you keep a copy of your post on you for future reference.

Hatzlacha!
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 29 Nov 2010 20:21 #87214

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah.  Sometimes we keep on slipping and slipping.  One good fall (though not recommended) knocks some sense into us--we were fooling ourselves all along, playing with fire and thinking we weren't in any danger.  In a funny way it's a relief.  It forces us to be honest. 

We finally can see through all those slips, and not repeat them.

--Eye.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 29 Nov 2010 20:32 #87216

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad to hear it - I hope you're able to internalize this attitude. That will take work, but you already know that.

Great stuff - upwards and onwards!

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 30 Nov 2010 01:06 #87243

• d_teddybear
  • Current streak: 94 days
  • Fresh Boarder
the Yerushalmi in Demai says that we trust an Am Ha'aretz if he tells us on Shabbos that he separated terumas maaser, because the Am Ha'aretz is afraid to lie on Shabbos.

really?

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 30 Nov 2010 03:33 #87253

• kedusha
  • Administrator
Yes, it really says that.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 30 Nov 2010 06:05 #87264

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow...gives us a clue as to how distant we are...

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 01 Dec 2010 22:51 #87554

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, good point SB. One of my rebbeim told me a good story that was inspiring, related to that regesh of Shabbos we don't have anymore:

I believe it was the Ger Unkelos who was learning Torah, and he came across the halacha that speaks of one who gets lost in the desert, and he loses track of time, and doesn't know when Shabbos is. The halacha is that you just pick a day and start treating that as Shabbos.

Unkelos went to his Rav, and exclaimed, "What's pshat in this halacha?! On Shabbos the briah itself breathes Shabbos. The ground says "Shabbos," the air says "Shabbos," the animals say, "Shabbos," - how is it possible for anyone to not be able to identify it?

I just thought that's a really nice story - something to aspire to.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 02 Dec 2010 00:57 #87562

• kedusha
  • Administrator
I heard that same story from Rav Aharon Feldman that the question was raised by a Chassidishe Rebbe.

Re: This is it - 90 Days here I come! 05 Dec 2010 03:16 #87909

• yona18
  • Platinum Boarder
How was everyone's Shabbos? Mine was nice. I feel like I've been eating waaaay too much recently; I gotta cut down seriously. I'll skimp tomorrow bli neder. I feel like I haven't been so happy lately. My learning isn't so geshmack right now; I don't feel so into it. Instead of being inspired by the holiday, I'm sorta dragging my feet. I also have a huge test that I have to study for the rest of the night, so that's just bungo. Tomorrow will be all day studying as well. More bungo.

Okay, now it's two hours later from the beginning of my writing this post. Life is a lot more suckier now. My dad is going through withdrawal right now after drinking all day today. He told me graphic details about how he seduced his landlady, and I was on the phone for an hour empathizing with him, trying to convince him to not kill himself tonight and to seek help. flakeING kichsa!

I'm very upset. I have to study for a test, but yeah right, like I can concentrate now.
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2010 05:38 by .
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes