Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: counting 831 Views

counting 09 Oct 2013 22:42 #220653

• Larry
  • Current streak: 7 days
  • Expert Boarder
This may be completely obvious to everyone else here... but here 'goes... I really think that if I am feeling the need to mark each day (e.g. 34 yesterday! 35 today! 36 tomorrow!) then it's actually a sign that I'm not mentally in the right place. Of course, it's good to get chizzuk from counting (and it's important to recognize successes), but I don't think it's best for the counting to become the ikkar... because then I'm getting away from "what got me here", i.e. accepting that I have a lust problem and constantly being on guard... I mean, I want to have "beaten it" - but what's more important, thinking I have a victory that I probably don't have anyway, or continuing to acknowledge my achrayus to not lust, to stay sane in order to properly be ovaid Hashem? It's just another variation on our favorite theme - please, Hashem, let's just get it right today.

Re: counting 09 Oct 2013 23:11 #220659

• MBJ
  • Platinum Boarder
You are absolutely right. For me counting is like a Taphsic. I would have to stop the count if I fall, so I don't fall. It is also a reminder of my progress, which helps keep me positive. But the count of what day you are on is not important at all. 90 days is a nice number, but I can guarantee you will not be cured simply by getting there.

The ikkar is living each day sober and clean of lust and acting out, whether it is day 1, 10, 100 or 1000. (Log scaling of course)
My Story
Only when we make our real lives sweeter than our fantasies will we reap the emotional rewards, the happiness of recovery. - AlexEliezer
Focus on making the right choices as they come up. - Skeptical
When I start to literally accept G-d's Will as guiding my life today, things start to change. - Dov
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes