Welcome, Guest

Steve C's Jorney
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Steve C's Jorney 9641 Views

Re: Steve C's Jorney 22 Nov 2009 14:17 #29877

• stevec613
  • Current streak: 4942 days
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Reb Guard.  I reached 90 last week.  At some point I would like to write a more detailed post on the things that I have done to not only stop using my time for bad and the things that I have done to fill my time.  I was unsure of how to react to the 90 day level.  One the one hand I wanted to reach out and get advice from others who have reached 90 to see what they have done post 90 to keep the number growing.  On the other hand I see how difficult 90 is for many of the members and did not want to make others feel poorly.

SC
Last Edit: by Overcomingmyself.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 22 Nov 2009 15:20 #29881

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
Huge Mazal Tov Steve!

If Bardichev wasnt so busy with his newborn, he'd be here with the Woodford...gonna call him as soon as the baby stops crying!]
In the meantime, a hearty bottle of buubly 7Up will have to surfice!

Cant wait to hear more about your victory.
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by Echy.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 22 Nov 2009 21:41 #29931

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Mazal Tov, Steve!

You've invested a great deal in this achievement.  The key now is to do whatever it takes to protect your investment!

Let's begin with a beautiful GYE Minhag - playing the Bardichever Nigun!

www.guardyoureyes.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/The-Barditchever-Nigun.mp3

Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2009 21:48 by sammy123.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 22 Nov 2009 21:44 #29933

• Luria
stevec613 wrote on 22 Nov 2009 14:17:

Thanks Reb Guard.  I reached 90 last week.  At some point I would like to write a more detailed post on the things that I have done to not only stop using my time for bad and the things that I have done to fill my time.  I was unsure of how to react to the 90 day level.  One the one hand I wanted to reach out and get advice from others who have reached 90 to see what they have done post 90 to keep the number growing.  On the other hand I see how difficult 90 is for many of the members and did not want to make others feel poorly.

SC

Dude that is amazing!! Reach out and get advice - you've gotten this far - keep going and growing!

No jealousy on my part -  just respect and admiration.
Last Edit: by shootplayau123.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 22 Nov 2009 23:14 #29947

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
On the other hand I see how difficult 90 is for many of the members and did not want to make others feel poorly.

Het Steve your not gonna make us feel bad. Adaraba we wanna hear some advice. Also we wanna hear how good it feels sitting up there ontop of the mountain so it can give us extra incentive to get up there and join you.

MAZEL TOV!!!
Last Edit: by JoeRosen.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 22 Nov 2009 23:39 #29961

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 745 days
Yes, please do give us a nice post about what tips are working for you, and which tools of GYE you've used and found the most helpful, etc... I will bl"n post it in a Chizuk e-mail to over 900 members!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by E123.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 23 Nov 2009 16:52 #30091

• bardichev
STEVE PLUG IN YOUR MP3

CHAPP A TENTZIL!!!!!!

http://www.guardureyes.com/GUE/Music/mus/JackSimcha.mp3

LCHAIM!!

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/images/products/0010000008104_L.JPG

M  A   Z   E       T  O  V !  !  !
Last Edit: by bober.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 24 Nov 2009 16:06 #30350

• G38
  • Gold Boarder
Steve, it must have been your back in front of me all the time!!

Thanks for showing the way, now tell us how you did it AND how do you continue upwards.

Last Edit: 24 Nov 2009 16:13 by jagupira.iponino.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 24 Nov 2009 16:15 #30352

• G38
  • Gold Boarder
R' GUARD  :o :o :o

I looked for Steve's name on the wall (and for mine) and it's not there  ??? ???
Last Edit: by vuhidetac.qotuqole.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 24 Nov 2009 23:11 #30412

• the.guard
I looked for Steve's name on the wall (and for mine) and it's not there

You need to look at the NEW automated Wall of Honor that I linked in the Chizuk e-mail when I announced your 90 days!

Sorry, I still need to link it from the site.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by Jack12345..

Re: Steve C's Jorney 24 Nov 2009 23:26 #30416

• Struggla21
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Fresh Boarder
Mazel Tov

Its pretty inspiring to read your posts!
Last Edit: by Csy123.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 25 Nov 2009 11:18 #30484

• Noorah BAmram
  • Current streak: 3710 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Steve Hearty congrats and warmest Mazal Tov wishes!!

I found though it did get easier, I must never forget that ultimately it is "one day at a time" and it is very easy to regress into old patterns and habits.

With awesome respect and fiery love to a silver star  member of the Guardani Brigade

Noorah
[b]כי שבע יפול צדיק וקם[/b] 
A Tzadik is he who continues to  bounce back after he hits bottom, even a hundred times !!!!!Rav Don Segal Shlita
Last Edit: by mordekai.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 27 Nov 2009 18:31 #30874

• stevec613
  • Senior Boarder
First and foremost I want to thank everyone for their warm wishes upon my 90 day accomplishment.  Today is day 100 for me and I would like to try and describe how I got to this point and how I think I have changed over the past 3 months.

As I wrote in on my of my first posts, I am a thirty something professional living in a large North American city.  I attended several yeshivos over the years and was in yeshiva until I got married.  I had been struggling with these issues from adolescence and on.  Obviously the creation and popularization of the internet throughout the 90's and most recently the availability of high speed internet on hand held devices this decade was a huge challenge for me.  I had some years of sobriety immediately after getting married but had not had much success these past few years.

Whats interesting, is that since finding this site in August (thanks to an article on masturbation on aish.com) I have not slipped or fallen at all.  While I am obviously proud of this accomplishment I do think that this element of instant success in this area may leave me more vulnerable that some others who have had a tougher trip to 90 than I.  In a way I worry that not having to dust myself off from a fall and not learning from my mistakes leaves me at a disadvantage.  From reading the posts on this site, I am fully aware at how difficult people find it to reclaim the level they had reached after falling when their clean streak was in the 30 day range. I am in awe of those who have suffered such setbacks and yet have reached 90.

I am going to try and share of the items that I think played in a role in my reaching my goal of 90 days.

First and foremost while I have not read all of the attitude handbook, the one thing that i read that I found very helpful is that this yetzer horah is a challenge that hashem has sent specifically to me in order to have me work hard to refine my character. whenever I am tested, I try to internalize that hashem is challenging me and that if I am successful at this moment, that the success will be mine forever regardless of what happens the next time I am challenged. 

One item I was was extremely diligent in was in guarding my eyes while walking in the street, supermarket, shul. etc.  While there are stimulating images that present themselves on a regular basis  I was always careful to avert my eyes as soon as I glanced at something and made sure not to take a second look.  I firmly believe that in this zchus, the inadvertent viewing of  these images did not impact me as much as they might have in the days where I would take a second and third look. 

I am sure that you have all experienced the following scenario.  You are walking down the street and see an interesting site ahead of you.  Since it is up ahead you are unclear if this will be one of these images that is good from far but far from good, or if this image walking towards you will be a true beauty.  when faced with this scenario, I convince myself that the image approaching me is going to be of super model quality, and that by averting my eyes to this once in a lifetime beauty I will earn tremendous reward in the world to come. In this way, I stay away from allowing myself to look at items that are only a little harmful.  Instead I assume that every image is the worst of the worst, and I try to imagine the reward for passing this most difficult of test.

I am sure there is more to share and will IY'H do so as I am able to articulate it.

Good shabbos to all.

SC
Last Edit: by wargrave.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 28 Nov 2009 17:27 #30891

• the.guard
Thanks Steve! I posted this testimonial of yours on the page of the article, over here. And I also let Aish - and the author of the article - know how they helped another yid!

Keep up the great work!
Last Edit: by Rbyrby.

Re: Steve C's Jorney 29 Nov 2009 02:13 #30934

• stevec613
  • Senior Boarder
In my haste on erev shabbos, I forgot to add one additional change that I have tried to incorporate into my life that I believe has had a positive influence in my battle.

While in the past, my hand-held device has been a tool of my addiction during times of boredom, I have been using it instead for good.  I have been using the devices MP3 player to play shuirim on a regular basis.  We are taught that nature abhors a vacuum and that he yetzer horah will rush in when there is empty space or time.  We are also taught that hashem created a yetzer horah and created torah as the opposing force.  It has been much easier to guard my eyes while in the super market as I listen to a shiur on shmiras einayin.  It is easier to guard my eyes in the street as I listen to a shiur on Parshas Hashavua, and it is easier to to guard my eyes during while commuting as I listen to a shiur on Hilchos Shabbos.  There are literally thousands of shiuring posted on line (many of them for free) and searching for the ones that interest me the most (as well as scanning the GYE site)  have been ways for me to use my down time in a constructive manner.

Thanks for reading.

SC
Last Edit: by readytobetter.
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes